THE EYE OF THE STORM! Revell Hurricane

quang

1 hour ago, Shoggz said:

So, good folk of LSP. What markings are we applying to our lovely new Revell Hurricanes?

Both options in the box are eminently useable, but neither really fires my imagination.. Do we have any other options in the aftermarket arena? A quick Googly search and the useful 'here are some more decals you might find useful' on Hannants page for the Hurricane, haven't yielded me anything..

I would be tempted myself by a IIb in VVS soviet service. But the subject is utterly complex for this newbie. Hopefully some helpful comrades from the tundra would chime in ? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Shoggz said:

Both options in the box are eminently useable, but neither really fires my imagination.. Do we have any other options in the aftermarket arena? A quick Googly search and the useful 'here are some more decals you might find useful' on Hannants page for the Hurricane, haven't yielded me anything..

You could always try masks.  Come and join me and others on the Dark Side.

7 hours ago, Shoggz said:

So, good folk of LSP. What markings are we applying to our lovely new Revell Hurricanes?

I was planning on the night fighter version but have also seen a couple of IIb's in SAAF markings, one painted aluminium the other light/dark green with lots of yellow markings. I think these are both in the Fly IIb kit based on doing some online searching of markings.  I think the night fighter and fighter bomber versions need the little exhaust flame cover thing on the cockpit side and I couldn't see these in the kit (mine turned up about an hour ago) - that won't be a problem to make though.

neil

On 11/21/2022 at 3:15 PM, Troy Smith said:

Because the IIb was VERY widely used, with many colour schemes.  

Including, UK, Temperate Land Scheme, Day Fighter Scheme, night fighter black,  desert, Malta, SEAC, various options for that, VVS, Portugal, Free French (only a few) ...with a new prop, Canadian Mk.XII. 

You really want a BoB Hurricane out of this ? Make it this a Mk.IIA from 111 Sq in September 1940. 

If you really must have a Mk,.I, now,  Fly do a very decent though a little tricky Mk.I 

It's not beyond the realms of do-able to back date this either. 

and maybe.... if there is enough demand, Revell may do a Mk.I....   or maybe Kotare will do one to go with the Spitfire Mk.I .?

This might have been it. A IIA, not a B.

Cheers,  Tom

13 hours ago, Uncarina said:

To echo this, which IIB aircraft flew in the Battle of Britain? Are there references for which squadron(s) had them, and of their markings?

Cheers,  Tom

Just a bit of info. The BoB was officially between the 10th of July to the 31st of October 1940 and the Hurricane IIA (8 gun wing) was issued to squadrons in August 1940. The MkIIB entered service in 1941.

TRF

8 hours ago, npb748r said:

I thought I read somewhere in this post earlier that a few examples did but late on ? But I could be dreaming :)

Some IIa’s apparently saw service towards the end of the Battle - from what I can see, although the prototype IIb flew around the start of the Battle, the IIb didn’t go into production until 1941. I think at that time aircraft manufacture was concentrating on quantity, focusing on just a few Types, so continuity of Type was important without too much diversion. 

Edit - oops, sorry TRF, just saw your post above. The British define the dates as you say above, and these have been broadly accepted, but I believe the Germans consider the Battle was fought over a longer time period, from June 1940 to the end of the Blitz in 1941. To the victor go the spoils… :) 

Edited by Pete Roberts

1 hour ago, mozart said:

However my first action is to ditch the awful side-opening box, totally useless. Just about to walk into town to buy a plastic one that is practical.

The Revell fits perfectly in my used ICM Gladiator box :P

Edited by quang