Tamiya F-16 Aggressor, Kicked Up a Notch, May 10: Clear Gloss Coat

chuck540z3

Just awesome work Chuck!! 

I’ve been missing from this forum for a while, and I’ve just gone through your full build thread. I love your new display cabinets, but I noticed there’s a Tamiya spitfire and a F-5 aggressor missing!

Posted (edited)

Wow amazing job !!!

As mentioned above, I went with pure White for the bottom, using MRP-004, which I hate.  It takes at least 6-8 thin coats to cover,

@chuck540z3 quick question that I've had on my mind for years,  you mention 6-8 thin coats, does that mean you paint a coat let it dry reload your airbrush and go again with rince and repeat, or does this mean go around the model, in thin passes 6-8 times? 

Edited by Neo

Posted (edited)

Thank you everyone!

On 5/10/2024 at 7:04 AM, Neo said:

@chuck540z3 quick question that I've had on my mind for years,  you mention 6-8 thin coats, does that mean you paint a coat let it dry reload your airbrush and go again with rince and repeat, or does this mean go around the model, in thin passes 6-8 times? 

While the 6-8 coats is accurate, I have a bit of a "cheat code" for my painting.  Living in a very cold climate during winter, I found that I needed a small ceramic heater next to my paint booth in my garage.  Not only did it heat up my work environment, but it dried the paint much quicker than even inside my warm house.  I now turn the heater on every time I paint and adjust the heat level to whatever the conditions dictate.  For the white paint, I would apply a thin coat over the entire model and about the time I finished the first coat, it was dry enough to apply a second coat where I started, all due to this heater.  I would then apply a second thin coat, then shut things down and bring the model inside for several hours, fix blemishes, then start the third and fourth coat and repeat.  8 coats of paint using white, was really only 4 painting sessions.  For the light blue, I also had about 3 sessions, while the dark blue took 4 sessions, because I had to keep the coats ultra-thin to avoid paint bleeding under all the complex masks.

The other cheat code I have for painting a clear gloss coat of X-22 is to spray one good coat on, then apply a flash coat of pure Tamiya lacquer thinner on immediately thereafter.  The lacquer "melts" the X-22 so that any orange peel is leveled out a bit, creating an ultra-smooth finish.  For those who haven't tried this before, I highly recommend it.

Some examples...

2RypkY.jpg

t6Yixs.jpg

g7K3ud.jpg

K5eGWq.jpg

dKKZJF.jpg

HTH

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• chuck540z3 changed the title to Tamiya F-16 Aggressor, Kicked Up a Notch, May 10: Clear Gloss Coat

Just perfect Chuck - the hard work and care in finish really has paid off

I just need you to pop over to the UK and paint my model in about a year please :ninja:

I could never dream of getting that good thats for sure

Peter