Italeri Mc-202

Steve Eagle

On 8/24/2023 at 3:14 AM, spreckair said:

I love the Macchi Mc 202 and would love to buy a newly produced kit.  But for $140, I find the look of the parts on the sprues less than satisfactory for a kit of that price.  I can get a Tamiya or Zoukei-Mura kit for this price, and the Italeri kit just doesn't seem to approach their mold quality.  I suppose all of the photo-etch and decals are supposed to impress the price up, but if the basic sprues are not up to tops, the price should reflect this.

Let me first say that I do not have the kit in my own hands, but the photos are good enough for me for now.  I know that there will be plenty of readers who will answer:

1. "...then don't buy it."  Duh, that response is really helpful for a conversation, innit?

2. "...price is in the eye of the beholder."  Yes it is.  I am but one beholder, and I would like to know what you think about the price versus the kit itself.  Let's hear from all the beholders.

Lately I am just seeing what seems to be price inflation in a lot of new kits that seems less than justified.  What do you think?

I agree with most of what you’ve said - in relation to your opinion - we’re all entitled to one. Personally I have no interest in this kit or Italian subjects in general - so haven’t paid close attention to reviews etc …

In regard to pricing however - we have been hit with a staggering round of inflation in the last 2 years … COVID lockdowns killed a LOT of middle class industry and what little remained is now being killed off with inflationary pressures caused by a lack of supply for the hyper increased demand, in post lockdown dystopia.

Expect every kit price, everywhere to continue the northward climb in the short to medium term as the costs of materials and production continue to rise.

Rog :)

After reading so much on multiple sites i was intrigued to see what the actual kit was like.

With numerous people posting some pretty disparaging remarks then directly comparing those opinions against the kit i must have a different kit, im buying another two.

I have been taking photos for 40 years had many images published in books, magazines etc so have some idea about cameras and photography.

One major issue ive seen appear is the use of mobile phone cameras for many images and people judging them on face value.

To be short those images can have major issues.

First most people RAW format isnt used.

With Iphones applying sharpening, contrast boosting and default HDR format any photos of plastic kits will immediately boost the appearance of panel lines and apparent depth as edges are all enhanced lighter areas brightened darker areas darkened etc.

Ive seen plenty of pics posted of this kit and the pictures with these default phone properties both Iphone and Android make this kit look FAR worse that it actually is.

Even poor editing of the best files ie RAW taken with a dedicated camera can unintentionally create artificial changes.

Id highly recommend anyone put off by images of the kit go look at it in person i have zero issues with the panel lines at all. In fact most of the debate after seeing the kit was a generated by people who havnt seen the kit judging it based on images clearly suffering from enhanced detail caused directly by poor quality cameras ie mobile phone based.

The properties of these cameras is not accurate capture of detail but 99% of their use is personal photography of places/events and not for product photography.

Basing any judgement of images which by default are altered to enhance colour, detail and contrast to make them more suitable for FB or Insta, Tik Tok etc is fraught with issues.

An excellent post at HS on the new 48th Corsair where the kit was being slaughtered by the usual suspects based on some mobile phone images.

When someone with correct light and a decent camera did a side by side of the new kit and the Tamiya kit unsurprisingly the depth and sharpness of the panel lines and rivets where almost identical.

Mobile phone cameras for assessing plastic and details are absolutely 100% not to be trusted.

Edited by Darren Howie

6 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

With Iphones applying sharpening, contrast boosting and default HDR format any photos of plastic kits will immediately boost the appearance of panel lines and apparent depth as edges are all enhanced lighter areas brightened darker areas darkened etc.

Very sensible thoughts, Darren. :clap2:
For the same reasons I take care to deselect every the ‘enhancement’ feature (especially the dreaded HDR) on my camera whenever I take a picture.

Even the distance between the camera and the subject makes a difference. By merely varying it, one can make a spinner look longer or shorter than it is in real life. And I’m not even talking of lighting and perspective.

I’d say: trust your own Mk.I eyeball. It’s the only one you got.

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

Some photos of my unbuilt Folgore fuselage.  I stuck my Tamiya XVIe in there for comparative purposes since it was on my workbench.  Shot with a Canon S120 Powershot in RAW format.  Processed in Lightroom. Dual monitors calibrated with a SpyderX Pro.

IMG-5599.jpg

Comparison of the hatch detail.  Compare the hinges and circular fasteners between the two. Also note the line of raised rivets on the bottom edge of the Folgore cockpit fairing and how they disappear towards the rear.

IMG-5602.jpg

21 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

After reading so much on multiple sites i was intrigued to see what the actual kit was like.

With numerous people posting some pretty disparaging remarks then directly comparing those opinions against the kit i must have a different kit, im buying another two.

I have been taking photos for 40 years had many images published in books, magazines etc so have some idea about cameras and photography.

One major issue ive seen appear is the use of mobile phone cameras for many images and people judging them on face value.

To be short those images can have major issues.

First most people RAW format isnt used.

Ive seen plenty of pics posted of this kit and the pictures with these default phone properties both Iphone and Android make this kit look FAR worse that it actually is.

Even poor editing of the best files ie RAW taken with a dedicated camera can unintentionally create artificial changes.

Id highly recommend anyone put off by images of the kit go look at it in person i have zero issues with the panel lines at all. In fact most of the debate after seeing the kit was a generated by people who havnt seen the kit judging it based on images clearly suffering from enhanced detail caused directly by poor quality cameras ie mobile phone based.

The properties of these cameras is not accurate capture of detail but 99% of their use is personal photography of places/events and not for product photography.

Basing any judgement of images which by default are altered to enhance colour, detail and contrast to make them more suitable for FB or Insta, Tik Tok etc is fraught with issues.

An excellent post at HS on the new 48th Corsair where the kit was being slaughtered by the usual suspects based on some mobile phone images.

When someone with correct light and a decent camera did a side by side of the new kit and the Tamiya kit unsurprisingly the depth and sharpness of the panel lines and rivets where almost identical.

Mobile phone cameras for assessing plastic and details are absolutely 100% not to be trusted.

That's very interesting, I don't know a hell of a lot about photography so I'll bow to your expertise kind sir. Soooo are the fabric surfaces are ok as opposed to the pics I've seen? That was a big stopping block for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 1:10 PM, LSP_Ray said:

Ok, you win. Tamiya needs to do a Folgore!

Or Italeri should price accordingly...?

I think the kit looks great and would love to have one.  I just think it is overpriced for what it is.  Just my own personal opinion.

Edited by spreckair