1/32 ZM Messerschmitt Bf109 G-14 7/JG.3 "Yellow 18"

monthebiff

Even though I had test fitted the vertical fin previously, I was apprehensive about glue being involved as this is a really, really poor part of this kit and whatever the design team have said about what they where trying to achieve its an all round shocker of a fit for a £100 kit. The look they wanted  doesn't work, especially when  sat next to my £30 quid Revell 109 G-2 which I'm building in tandem which  has none of these issues. 

20221106-211258.jpg

20221106-211709.jpg

20221106-211716.jpg

So I let it all dry and then carefully ran in some Mr Surfacer 1000 (an old jar which is quite thick) and hopefully this will work after a bit of clean up.

20221107-210714.jpg

20221107-210722.jpg

The tail fin on the Revell kit still looks so much better but happy to get this area sorted.

Regards. Andy 

• 1 month later...

Not had much time for building lately, work has been manic busy but more importantly my father in law is into his third week in intensive care after complications from surgery so just bing there for my wife and keeping normality for the kids has been far more important than sticking bits of plastic together! The wife insisted I get some bench time the last couple of days so of I went. Decided to build the wings and didn't read the instructions to carefully so a few self inflicted issues arose. The first being I glued the lower wing panels in the wrong order on one side and ended up with a big gap that needs filling 

20221211_210802.jpg

Next up I built and painted the radiators then installed them in to the lower wing and all very good until I went to add the upper wing

20221211_210728.jpg

On closer inspection the problem was that you are able to glue the radiator assembly slightly deeper which then fouls the upper wing

20221211_210643.jpg

Was a very easy mistake to make so beware as I did it to both wings. Its rectified now but a pain to deal with. 

Regards. Andy 

Luftwaffe is not really my thing but I do build them occasionally for variety, but you are doing a tremendous job on this one despite the problems with fit, that cockpit does really look realistic to me.

The tail fit issues really surprised me as I would have expected more from ZM, but you seem to have it under control, that section looks more like a PCM kit.

Hopefully your father in law is recovering, it was really nice and understanding of your wife to get you back to the bench, a sure sign of a "keeper".

Cheers

Dennis

Great work so far, happy to see a work around for the vertical stabilizer fit. After seeing a couple of ways of doing this it’s allowed me to come up with an idea of my own for the tail…but that’s a ways down the road from where I’m at today.

With all the details ZM have built into the kit I’m thinking an assembly line dio. with a half built airframe in bare aluminum with a couple  of techs working on it for mine.

Well, that didn’t take me long to wander off topic did it…

I meant to say, great job! Following along.

• 2 weeks later...

A little more done after I finally decided to have the engine cowls open on this build. I've started painting the engine and it's sub assemblies 

20221224-204153.jpg

I've used the new AIMS 109 data plate and engine stencil set, decals performance perfectly.

Regards. Andy 

• 7 months later...

It's been a while but with my G-10 finished and mojo restored I'm feeling the need to move this one on some more. After reaquinting myself with where I had got to I started by painting and fitting the engine bearers

20230730_224037.jpg

Followed by lots of pipework

20230730_224157.jpg

And while thats drying I need to think about cleaning up the ejector pin marks inside the engine cowlings as this is going to be a completely open cowl build

20230730_224130.jpg

Enjoying working on this build again and hopefully can make some good progress again now.

Regards. Andy 

Have managed to get the final assembly of the engine completed this evening, very tricky getting all that pipework to conform but got therein the end.

20230731-220025.jpg

20230731-220039.jpg

20230731-220055.jpg

Some touch up on the painting and a little weathering needed but all ready to mate to the fuselage.

Regards. Andy