1/32 ZM Messerschmitt Bf109 G-14 7/JG.3 "Yellow 18"

monthebiff

Very happy to receive my copy of this wonderful kit earlier in the week and decided to get it straight on the bench, this kit really screams quality and upon closer inspection it does include various other parts required for further boxings of this kit such as open and closed Trop filter, long tail wheel etc so rather than do the Hartmann scheme I have chosen to go another route and build this one with the tall wooden tail which is also supplied. 

20220912-143631.jpg

20220914-104322.jpg

Need to order a set of HGW belts as there are non supplied in the kit but otherwise I'm going to build this alongside my Revell G-2 I have been working on.

Regards. Andy

8 hours ago, somebody said:

awesome. what I've been waiting for......

BTW, where is a good place to get the HGW belt from in NA....Can't seem to find it from the usual online stores. directly from their website?

Hope you enjoy the build, I'm in the UK so get my  HGW stuff from Hannants so not really sure. I have ordered direct from HGW on occasion and their service is very good.

Regards. Andy 

Regards. Andy

4 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Great to see the new Z-M kit get built!  Helpful hint... look for the HGW set for the two-seater Me262B.  Twice the belts for the same price.

Really liked your unboxing thread John,  it really is an amazing kit and clearly designed in a way for many, many other boxings in the way certain areas have been designed such as the  wheel well area amongst others  It will be very interesting to see how far ZM takes the G series but fingers crossed a  K-4  would be very nice. Equally some AS machines would be nice as the series expandes. 

If the 109 builds as well as the Henschel Hs 129 this will be a real treat to build. 

I have a set of the 262 belts but will keep them for when I build that one so ordered a single seater set instead. 

Regards. Andy 

Regards. Andy 

This is a very cleaverly designed kit and when I was looking through it to begin with made me immediately think of this K-4 in Roger S Geamperle amazing book Captured Eagles 

20220914-184122.jpg

This is where the ZM ethos comes in to play in my mind as everything is there in the kit to do just that. Not this time but very tempted with an additional twist.

Regards. Andy 

Made a start on the cockpit today and confirm this just like their Hs129 is a very well thought out build. After a couple of hours I had the majority of the  cockpit built.

20220915-212347.jpg

20220915-212351.jpg

20220915-212401.jpg

And a quick comparison with my Revell G-2 I have on the bench also.

20220915-212441.jpg

the G-2 parts are still being worked on but a huge difference in quality, detail and concept but equally a huge difference in price points. Very happy and very enjoyable to put together so far.

Regards. Andy

A little more progress, moving on to the fuselage halves. Firstly I decided to test fit the basic cockpit and what an excellent fit. Some amazing engineering in this kit with everything fitting perfectly but without silly far to tight parts and so far a pleasure to build.

20220916-164013.jpg20220916-164046.jpg

Next I turned my attention to fitting the the rear internal fuselage structure, in typical ZM fashion they supply lots of detail such as methanol tank, radios oxygen bottles etc but as non of it will be seen I ommited them

20220916-194625.jpg

Fit of fuselage halves is excellent 

20220916-194708.jpg

Just need to work out how to fit the tall tailwheel now

20220916-213514.jpg

20220916-211739.jpg

Need to have a closer look through the sprues as I think there should be another part as the tall strut sits at a different angle. If it's not supplied in this boxing I will come up with something.

Regards. Andy