Zoukei Moura Bf-109 G-14 a Non-Hartmann Build 1/32 Scale

Gazzas

3 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Hi Gary, I just finished reading through the entire thread.  You are doing a masterful job with this build and I admire your preserverence dealing with the issues that have come up during the build; and solutions/corrections that you have come up with and made.  Your 109 is looking quite good now and I am sure it will be something you can be proud of when you are finished.  I have this kit and have taken notes based on the excellent information you have given in your build thread.  Thank you!

Ernest 

Thank you Ernest!  It's good to hear from you again.  I'll be looking forward to seeing yours.

2 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

This looks great, I am studying mottling, in preparation for my inevitable Luft subjects, and yours looks very nice.  

Thank you!  I think most people over-study and over-think mottling.  Two simple steps:  1.  With low pressure and your airbrush close to the surface make the pattern you want.     2.  With fine sanding mesh (4k to 12k) held at your fingertip, and a drop of liquid soap in your water, slowly sand.  You will gradually sand away your 1/1 scale over-spray and add a nicely distressed look to your paint.  The more you sand, the more distressed of a look you achieve.  So, the sanding I did to reveal the rivet heads also cleaned away my overspray and added the distressed look I desired.

I took these photos just now to show you my last three LSP's using the same technique.  It takes minutes to do.  Not hours.

m8UO3Z.jpg

pfK1GT.jpg

EcxRI5.jpg

rYowQ9.jpg

On the 190 I actually tried to make strips where the top camp had been buffed through revealing the light blue RLM 76 underneath.

Hopefully I have been helpful.

3 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Thank you!  I think most people over-study and over-think mottling.  Two simple steps:  1.  With low pressure and your airbrush close to the surface make the pattern you want.     2.  With fine sanding mesh (4k to 12k) held at your fingertip, and a drop of liquid soap in your water, slowly sand.  You will gradually sand away your 1/1 scale over-spray and add a nicely distressed look to your paint.  The more you sand, the more distressed of a look you achieve.  So, the sanding I did to reveal the rivet heads also cleaned away my overspray and added the distressed look I desired.

I took these photos just now to show you my last three LSP's using the same technique.  It takes minutes to do.  Not hours.

m8UO3Z.jpg

pfK1GT.jpg

EcxRI5.jpg

rYowQ9.jpg

On the 190 I actually tried to make strips where the top camp had been buffed through revealing the light blue RLM 76 underneath.

Hopefully I have been helpful.

Wow, thank you!  Paint mule, GET READY TO GET MESSY!

1 hour ago, JayW said:

Man that is one impressive camo scheme.  No paint lifting - must be nice.  I have found that (as I suspected) the downside of aluminum skinning is the painting.  Even with etching primer, the specter of paint lifting is there.

Thank you!  Yes...   Painting and masking over aluminum sux.  The only real way I can think of getting around it is to use non-sticky masking.  Of course, that's very difficult for the scale modeller, if not impossible in some cases.  Unlike that guy on the airfield who can get two other guys to hold the stencil for them.

I've been trying to improve my mottling technique as well so your tip about micro-meshing the overspray is very helpful, Gaz.  Depending on the aircraft that I'm modeling and the type of mottling I want to achieve, using overspray can help soften the edges of your mottles in a good way, if you can get your paint to spray smooth enough to avoid discrete paint particles.  For these softer mottles, it can help to vary to the distance between airbrush and model during a paint stroke.  Either moving closer or further away as you spray.

Just now, Thunnus said:

I've been trying to improve my mottling technique as well so your tip about micro-meshing the overspray is very helpful, Gaz.  Depending on the aircraft that I'm modeling and the type of mottling I want to achieve, using overspray can help soften the edges of your mottles in a good way, if you can get your paint to spray smooth enough to avoid discrete paint particles.  For these softer mottles, it can help to vary to the distance between airbrush and model during a paint stroke.  Either moving closer or further away as you spray.

I always spray mist.  If I see speckles of paint, I either thin it more or increase pressure.  Sometimes I watch modelling videos (by the pros!) on youtube and I see circles of paint hitting the surface, I cringe within.   Usually, any artifact I get in my paint is from dry tip.

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

The paint job looks REALLY good!  I like this color scheme very much; it's more interesting than any of the Hartmann planes.

I've always thought it was a shame that the Big 3 (Hartmann, Barkhorn, and Rall) all kind of had boring aircraft.

Thank you!  The Reichsluftverteidgung gave rise to a lot of colorful identification combos that didn't occur on the Ost Front.  Conversely, unit badges virtually disappeared and nose art became a lot less common.  

Finding an interesting and unusual FW 190 D9 scheme that hasn't been modelled by someone else and easily found online isn't easy to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,
    Seems like ages since my last update.  A lot of those days, I just felt like I was spinning my wheels and accomplishing very little. 

All work done so far with oils.  And I haven't touched the RLM 76 areas at all.

IMG_1533.thumb.JPG.beee07074d8c1881cdaeb58d2300beb5.JPG

IMG_1534.thumb.JPG.16024eafae11fca898109f3534439325.JPG

IMG_1535.thumb.JPG.20d89acffe6f4a918ca408004f24a910.JPG

IMG_1536.thumb.JPG.3abc1fbcd8235f30710c03db5325f18b.JPG

IMG_1537.thumb.JPG.85e05cd51a6da9695fd87d0659c595ca.JPG

IMG_1538.thumb.JPG.df87702c978f8381758b350089f04b14.JPG

IMG_1539.thumb.JPG.070de11c873cd5d7accddd15b6851e55.JPG

I am torn between the armor modellers instincts to make the details pop, and the aero modellers instincts to jeep everything subtle...  so, my pin washes are all done in darker shades of each individual base color.  If you have a thought on what you see...  please feel free to share it.

PS...   I apologize for the glare.

Thanks!

I concur that the armour addict is slightly ahead of the aero modeller especially with the apparent rivets. Nevertheless the mottling and the green/violet-brown combination are realistic and very pleasant to the eye.
Add to that the serrated edges of the Erla camouflage,… what’s not to like? :clap2:
Cheers,

Quang

That's looking the business Gaz. As said above the colours look very nice and the pin washes are subtle but noticeable. Combine that with the distressed mottling and patchy paint work and you've got an eye catching scheme.

Cheers Bevan