Zoukei Moura Bf-109 G-14 a Non-Hartmann Build 1/32 Scale

Gazzas

18 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

Love that rivet work, it looks delightfully subtle, and changes the surface of the kit wonderfully. I may have to investigate doing  rivets on a future build. 

Thank you!  It's quite inspiring...   I'll probably do it forever, now.  Unless I can't make it look right.

15 hours ago, JayW said:

I am all too familiar with this kind of thing Gaz.  Nice work with the stencils!  I may have to get me one of them machines.

Thank you, Jay.  Trust me...  Unless you can afford to buy custom masks or decals all of the time...   It's the best thing you can have.  It's easy to use.  

Hi All...

I have laid my last rivet...   for this kit, anyway. 

IMG_1470.thumb.JPG.10df9ccdc38e61a0b8fe65e373e358ac.JPG

I added a thin layer of paint to the wing to make laying the last rivets easier....   and the older rivets virtually disappeared.

IMG_1472.thumb.JPG.90ef7ab1b3f1917c92de06857ef48c37.JPG

And I have re-fashioned a DF loop from a piece of PE fret.  The finest, thinnest piece of brass I had...   Because those DF loops...   even in 1-1 scale...   are mighty thin.

IMG_1473.thumb.JPG.2b0fffd722b88d3a5ff96b2607e1d46c.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

I didn't try to lay every line of rivets on the upper wing.  The only ones that will be bared there will be in the walking area.  Nicht Betreten!

I dare say that I can add the rest of the control surfaces and start painting.

Happy days!

8 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Coming together nicely , even the "odd tail thing" seems to have fallen into place. This one is going to be quite a leap ahead of the older Revell ones I suspect . 

Thank you, Guy.  It is really a nice kit with a few problems.  But much better than the Revell kits...  Especially if you take a look at the recent correction list published by Theirry.

5 hours ago, tucohoward said:

Very nice, Gaz. The HGW rivets in 32nd scale definitely show up better than 48th, which I guess stands to reason.

Jay

Thanks Jay.  HGW has three set of lines.  All of the rivets on all three are .5mm in diameter with varying distances (pitch) between rivets.  Mostly, I have used the set with the closest pitch.  I confess to have never measured the distance between the rivets on a real 109.  But I feel that these look right.  I don't know that I would even bother with them at 1/48.

19 minutes ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Very nice, Gazzas.  Excellent work on the rivets too.  I'm a bit surprised Z-M hasn't molded them in.

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you!  That's another one of the surprises...   like the tail, the virtually empty Erla hood, and the texture on so many external parts.  Still...   nicer than Revell.

Edited by Gazzas

Yes, the rivets look nice, but unfortunately HGW made many mistakes, when it comes to the placement of rivet lines. There are many rivets where there shouldn't be any and in other places they omitted some. Bad reserach on their part. Very unfortunate.
That's probably due to the fact that not a single availlable plan shows the correct disposition of rivets for the 109. I've compared them all with wartime photographs and restored a/c and they are all wrong to some extent. It's a pity, really.

If I find the time I'll try and make a correct drawing.

Edited by daHeld

8 hours ago, daHeld said:

Yes, the rivets look nice, but unfortunately HGW made many mistakes, when it comes to the placement of rivet lines. There are many rivets where there shouldn't be any and in other places they omitted some. Bad reserach on their part. Very unfortunate.
That's probably due to the fact that not a single availlable plan shows the correct disposition of rivets for the 109. I've compared them all with wartime photographs and restored a/c and they are all wrong to some extent. It's a pity, really.

If I find the time I'll try and make a correct drawing.

But I didn't use the HGW set as it didn't fit.  I used straight lines.

Anyway...   despite being punished by the flu, I put on some paint yesterday.  ...  and got taught a couple more new lessons.

The first occurred on starboard side of the fuselage where I manage to miss two pieces of carrier film from two separate lines of rivets until the light hit them just right after being coated in paint.  On one, the cleanup was almost perfect, and on the other, not so much.

IMG_1489.JPG.7656a12600b5a4e481801168510

The second occurred over the 'no walk' lines on the upper wing.  The masks did not want to hold as they were astride a line of rivets.  I will have to use the decals here, I'm afraid.  Any bared metal surface or plastic is just coincidental at this point.  

IMG_1483.thumb.JPG.b412f5dff775951ee14b7

I modulated the paint wherever possible, using three tones in as random a pattern as possible.  There is no transparent paint.  I didn't modulate the late war RLM 76 as it will receive oil streaks and dirt underneath, and mottling on the sides... as well as other weathering effects.

The wings ant ETC rack received a modulated earlier version of RLM 76.

IMG_1486.thumb.JPG.ea634e9ae66f030b0453f

Some of you will interested in how the painted control surface detail looked.

AS you can see here, that just as IRL, it's a sometimes you can see it, sometimes you can't.  Always a goal for me.  Weathering it so that the effect stays the same but looks better...   will be tough.

IMG_1485.thumb.JPG.5a440381aa7259b5b088b

Here, on the starboard wing...

IMG_1488.thumb.JPG.0529b1d9f60958b63630c

Port wing.

IMG_1487.thumb.JPG.80e83f32b1af5c783ec56

I'm not quite happy with the wing leading edges.  You can just see that I tried the effect.  I'm not quite certain how to perfect the effect while working with two colors and specifically avoiding hard-edged masking.

Anyway...   I hope you like where I am.

Keep on Trucking!