Zoukei Moura Bf-109 G-14 a Non-Hartmann Build 1/32 Scale

Gazzas

Thank you for your kind words, friends! 

I had the day off, so I devoted a significant amount of time to modelling....   and watching Monday Night Football.

On to the fun stuff...

Someone else had the idea to show the two rows of rivets along the cockpit sill...   so, I copied the idea with middling results.

IMG_1552.thumb.JPG.77c71d7bc0a1321b4fb88f776a06332a.JPG

Some of the rivets drifted out of place and will have to be fixed later.  HGW transfers have a knack of working just less than 100% of the time.

And...   succumbing completely to the seductions of the dark side, I pulled out my beading tool and drunkenly applied rivets to the wheel well covers.

IMG_1551.thumb.JPG.258823d4cd3d47754c7995154bd9d8f5.JPG

It's not the best picture.

The rest of my efforts were aimed at weathering the white parts of the markings and the lighter shade of RLM 76.

IMG_1540.thumb.JPG.bcf14ed1620ee359d6a7036895fd2d4e.JPG

I used white on the upper reaches of the white areas to lighten, and a shade of blue gray on the lower reaches. 

IMG_1541.thumb.JPG.19796036cc9bcd9caf0d05f6ae857bd0.JPG

And I used pale gray to highlight some details of the RLM 76 areas.

IMG_1542.thumb.JPG.d5a48a9bed873c9ad9b9eca8e2ce6383.JPG

IMG_1546.thumb.JPG.d437f3c9d13232512eb5b003ce50a3dd.JPG

IMG_1545.thumb.JPG.44603129cd13adf429e443997bf49ef2.JPG

Around the nine...  it looks rather untidy.  I think i will need some air brush touch up here and there.

IMG_1543.thumb.JPG.9b166addebdc88eae94ec9d6d1c6517b.JPG

Anyway...   that's it for now.

beautiful  paintwork! :wub:

if I may, in the last photo the low contrast between the white of the cross and the underlying color, especially on the left, creates a strange optical effect whereby the lower arm of the cross seems undersized.

cheers, Paolo

6 hours ago, mc65 said:

beautiful  paintwork! :wub:

if I may, in the last photo the low contrast between the white of the cross and the underlying color, especially on the left, creates a strange optical effect whereby the lower arm of the cross seems undersized.

cheers, Paolo

Thank you, Paolo.  I have noticed that too.  Once the oils dry, I will use the airbrush to tidy things up.

Looking good Gary!  I like the stressed look of the paint job, it replicates an aircraft that has seen quite a bit of frontline service IMHO at least.

On another note:  MNF - being from MI originally are you a Lions fan?  As a fellow transplanted mid-westerner whose team also plays in the "Black and Blue Division", and that has also not done very well for many seasons I can understand your pain if you are!

Ernest  

31 minutes ago, Greif8 said:

Looking good Gary!  I like the stressed look of the paint job, it replicates an aircraft that has seen quite a bit of frontline service IMHO at least.

On another note:  MNF - being from MI originally are you a Lions fan?  As a fellow transplanted mid-westerner whose team also plays in the "Black and Blue Division", and that has also not done very well for many seasons I can understand your pain if you are!

Ernest  

Thank you, Ernest!  Yes, I am a Detroit Lions fan.  How long have you been in Bavaria? 

9 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Thank you, Ernest!  Yes, I am a Detroit Lions fan.  How long have you been in Bavaria? 

Hi Gary, this time since Bavaria since 2007; I was there the first time 1996-1998 as a new soldier and again 2003-2005 as a much more seasoned platoon sergeant.  I ended up getting stationed right back at my old post in a Operations Sergeant's position after a two year assignment as what the U.S. Army calls an Observer/Controller-Trainer at the National Training Center in CA.  Both due to being promoted and assigned as a First Sergeant and the COIN rotation cycle going full speed ahead I ended up remaining at that duty station (Rose Barracks near Vilseck, Germany) for 5.5 years.  After that I was assigned as the Operations Sergeant Major for a unit in Schweinfurt for 17 months and got sent right back to Rose Barracks when the post there closed down.  I finished out my career there serving both as an Operations and then Command Sergeant Major.

TMI I know, so I apoligize!  I grew up in the Chicago area and have been a life long Bears and Cubs fan.  Except for the World Series victory in 2016 ending 108 years of crushed hopes I have not really had a great deal to cheer about in the last couple of decades sports wise!

Ernest    

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your support and encouragement so far....   time for another update.  All of the work here was done over the last few days in spits and spurts with oils.  I waste a ton of oil paint.  I put it on a cardboard palette and sometimes...  I just fall out of the mood to paint, and they just dry up there...  or I leave a lot left on the palette that I don't use and it dries up and gets chucked into the bin.

Here are my two gargoyles.  It appears one has been brawling.

IMG_1555.thumb.JPG.4aff7e5084de0c0cb250b04cdb7cd1f9.JPG

I'm one of those guys whose always guilty of under-weathering the underside of my airplane models.  Not that it's overly critical...   most of that never gets seen anyway except during WIP threads.  Although I have seen some proud guys at model shows who put their planes over mirrored bases.

I haven't attached the lower cooling flaps, tail wheel, Tail wheel fillet, and landing gear wheel well covers.  Mostly on these so far, I have done a pin wash and speckling method.

IMG_1561.thumb.JPG.3c1717f6bd60ffc6eee8a9ee9972d850.JPG

This is all cast off from the wheels...   sorry for the glare. 

IMG_1562.thumb.JPG.602441d68d8cbb68c43d3b1862f69a23.JPG

Heh....   That mask has been stuck to my cutting mat for a while.  I peeled it off before editing these photos.

I also used the speckling method to reflect cast-off from the tail wheel.

IMG_1563.thumb.JPG.fe1998d9dab541ff95df243250f6f578.JPG

I think I made a sequence error by doing the oil streaking before doing the speckling of cast-off dirt and grime.

IMG_1564.thumb.JPG.b3dd6189d76d31c9c7cda798f4d008b5.JPG

IMG_1565.thumb.JPG.e51dbc469025fd4eacae193f52567e00.JPG

Finally the propeller.  In many pictures you can see lubrication oil has dripped down the propeller blade and impregnated the paint. 

IMG_1566.JPG

Anyway...   that's the excitement for now.  Now it gets to set for a large part of the week waiting for the oils to dry.

Happy modelling!