ICM doing a new Yak-9 family of fighters in 1/32?

esarmstrong

This is great news and ICM are now (in my books) one of the most exciting model companies out there. I built their 1/32 I-16 and 1/48 Ju-88 last year and they were lovely models as is their 1/48 B-26K which arrived yesterday. As others have said, let's hope we see some other 1/32 Soviet WW2 stuff like the LaGG series of fighters.

Great news!

Gary

42 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

This is definitely sounding like something I'll get.  Now, hopefully a Po-2 gets released somewhere down the line.

Matt 

Anything Russian in 1/32 scale is very welcome and will get purchased by me.  So far, their two (2) Polikarpov offerings (I-16 & I-153) are a promising harbinger.

17 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Admittedly, I did not know the difference between the Yak-3 and the Yak-9, aside from six numerical digits. I was surprised to read that the Yak-9 was significantly larger than the Yak-3. However, it appears that both aircraft were highly admired by their pilots. I read about one Polish pilot, who had flown the Spitfire IX, a P-51B, and the Yak series, and he emphatically preferred the Yak for combat. Sure do hope this comes true, and spurs ICM to tackle more 1/32 Russian types, like an Lagg-3 and La-5/7 series.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

I think it was a French pilot? or as well..

16 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

From everything I've read the later models of the Yak-9 family were every bit the equal of the P-51D in terms of air-to-air capability.  

Largely depends on what you want to do with it? :) Defeating the Luftwaffe by luring them up to massive formations of bombers and dealing with them where your fighters have better performance.. I´ll take the P-47 or possible P-51Ds.. Doing that in a Yak-9 or Yak-3 would not have worked.. ;)

But that there is a lack of knowledge about the Soviet aircrafts, the later ones anyways, in the West might be true. But they did have quite different roles and so on..

And then you can see how the ROC dealt with the late Russian and post war Russian aircraft with theri P-47s 8for example..)

18 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I had the kit too, but ended up getting rid of it.

No, it passed me by. If I'd got one of the Normandie-Nieman boxes I wouldn't have sold it. I love the Russian GPW props and am hoping for a Pe-2 one day, even though jets are normally way more my thing.

Tony 

• 2 weeks later...