1/32 DH Beaver ANARE/RAAF - Scratch build

rhamilton007

1/32 DH Beaver - Part 1

I recently needed to mold some parts for another project, so spent some time to set-up my vacform machine. I had some 1/32 DH Beaver masters handy and decided to test run the vacform machine to check everything was running correctly. Four day's later, here's the 1/32 DH Beaver. The fuselage is together, although I will drop the cockpit/interior into the model once the air-frame is finished. The wings have a double sparred throughout as I intend to drop the flaps and ailerons and to give it additional strength.  

I'm surprised at how big the air-frame is. I'm now trying to decide whether the finished model with float/skis/wheels and what scheme - probably orange/day-glow orange Antarctica RAAF/ANARE at this stage. 

More updates shortly

Ryan 

K3T4WL9.jpg

oERHeVR.jpg

10IhHSR.jpg

MDdkzeW.jpg

Vr5zqPN.jpg

1/32 DH Beaver - Part 2

Many thanks for everyone's comments. MARU5137 - thanks for the walk-around links. Its been difficult to locate a good walk-around of the 'military' Beaver and these photos will do the trick for this build.

I have had a productive week. The Beaver is mostly together and has been scribe and riveted. I still have to work-up the upper fuselage, front canopy and upper cowling, which is probably the most complex part of the build. The engine cowling is over-sized and will need to be modified and reduced. I have decided to build a float version based on the particular colour scheme - and the fact you don't have a lot of opportunities to build a float air-frame in 1/32. I have started casting the interior and other smaller parts. Once completed (and the floats), the build will start to become more like a kit build, 

Cheers

Ryan 

Ffk2GTE.jpg

Nxx6GAT.jpg

mubXiJw.jpg

KCbrxd1.jpg

I know we tend to gravitate toward military paint schemes here, but I gotta tell ya that there are some stunning civilian Beavers in Canada and Alaska.  There is nothing in the world as classy as a restored Beaver on amphib floats wearing a $100,000 wet look paint job.