New 1:32 F-4 Phantom Family Coming in 2022

spruebrothers

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Holy cow!  PLEASE study the Tamiya F-4B before you cut metal!!  And please DON’T study ZM!!  Tamiya got the bulged cockpit shape that NO other manufacturer has ever gotten right before.

Very exciting news!

Also note what FineMolds have done with their new F-4's intake ramps. And that's in 1/72nd scale.

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Wait - what????  I've just spent a month slavishly sanding BDA patches and rescribing / re-riveting my F-4C.   This is "so" unfair.   I honestly don't know whether I should cease working and hope that the C is out soon after the B model or stay the course and be rewarded after a year of hard work, by seeing a beautiful, state of the art, new tool F-4C hit the shelves.   

On a more on-topic note - has SB ever released a plastic model kit before?  

We thank you for your sacrifice!

I have never heard of SB doing a kit in any scale. Should be interesting; they have enough of our money to pull it off, I would think!

So which 12 versions will we see? The F-4A is very unlikely, as are the British Phantoms because they would need new fuselage and wing molds. That leaves 16 variants but you could cater for the EJs and EJ Kais in two boxing’s instead of four and you could combine the B and N variants into one boxing leaving 13 distinct boxing’s. I guess you could also have the C and D in a single boxing leaving you with 12 as numbered:

NO/ F4H-1 (redesignated F-4A: 45 built used for training and testing only)
1/ F-4B
2/ RF-4B
3/ F-4C
4/ RF-4C
3/ F-4D - boxed with C variant
5/ F-4E
6/ RF-4E
7/ F-4EJ
8/ RF-4EJ
7/ F-4EJ Kai - boxed with EJ variant
8/ RF-4EJ Kai - boxed with RF-4EJ variant
9/ F-4F (exported to Germany)
10/ F-4G
11/ F-4J
NO/ F-4K (Spey-powered designated Phantom FG.1 by the British)
NO/ F-4M (Spey-powered designated Phantom FGR.2 by the British)
1/ F-4N - boxed with B variant
12/ F-4S

Multiple other combinaisons are possible such as the RF-4B combined with the RF-4C for the early ones and the RF-4E for the late ones. The S and J can also be combined easily. Nonetheless I agree that for marketing reasons and decal set size the AF and Navy topics are typically divided. I think it is quite useless to assess that question at this step. The number of boxes indicates they will cover most marks and typically the missing thin wing birds. Wait and see.

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

So which 12 versions will we see? The F-4A is very unlikely, as are the British Phantoms because they would need new fuselage and wing molds. That leaves 16 variants but you could cater for the EJs and EJ Kais in two boxing’s instead of four and you could combine the B and N variants into one boxing leaving 13 distinct boxing’s. I guess you could also have the C and D in a single boxing leaving you with 12 as numbered:

NO/ F4H-1 (redesignated F-4A: 45 built used for training and testing only)
1/ F-4B
2/ RF-4B
3/ F-4C
4/ RF-4C
3/ F-4D - boxed with C variant
5/ F-4E
6/ RF-4E
7/ F-4EJ
8/ RF-4EJ
7/ F-4EJ Kai - boxed with EJ variant
8/ RF-4EJ Kai - boxed with RF-4EJ variant
9/ F-4F (exported to Germany)
10/ F-4G
11/ F-4J
NO/ F-4K (Spey-powered designated Phantom FG.1 by the British)
NO/ F-4M (Spey-powered designated Phantom FGR.2 by the British)
1/ F-4N - boxed with B variant
12/ F-4S

You missed out the Weasel IV-C, E LES retrofit vs ab initio slats/TISEO, the Israeli F-4E subconfiguration, that there existed three-four types of RF-4Bs and at least five types of RF-4C/E, which takes the list to about twenty.

I don't care if they skip on the Spey Tooms if we get a really good RF-4C/E recce jet. Hong Kong Models are allegedly still working on the F-4K/M.

I'm in for the F-4B. I'm imaging a £250 sticker price but expect it will be well worth it. 

Great news! Just hope I'm around to have at least one in my eager paws.

Tony

Great news. I really hope the quality will be good. As there is a link with Turkey (Phantom Freaks/Babibi)  I expect that the F-4E Terminator is one of the versions. The cockpit instrument panels in the Terminator are very different from the normal F-4E version.

36 minutes ago, DutchThud said:

Great news. I really hope the quality will be good. As there is a link with Turkey (Phantom Freaks/Babibi)  I expect that the F-4E Terminator is one of the versions. The cockpit instrument panels in the Terminator are very different from the normal F-4E version.

I imagine you're right and the boxings will be determined by markings options, with heavy emphasis on American, Turkish, Japanese and Israeli flown jets.

Cockpit differences are easily catered for by a few optional parts, as are antennae etc., but there are big differences between the lower wings of the hard wing J, EJ and E; slat retrofitted E; slat retrofitted S; and ab initio slatted wing E/Fs with the thicker wing box skin. 

Anyway, I'll be happy even with just a late F-4B. I'm easy. 

Tony 

On 8/19/2021 at 1:29 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

It’s pining for the fjords :)

Hey don't knock it! In my younger more carefree days I had 22 Airfix Phantoms in imaginary schemes including Norwegian, Swedish and South African!

No spare decals were safe from my Phantom phleet.

As to possible versions, an F4H-1 would require an aftermarket nose and intake mods to be combined with the F-4B, and the F-4G undernose and fintop fairings.

An F-4E(S) or even an RF-4X version are also possibles, although as Tony suggests at £250+ a pop it could all get very expensive.

Edited by Chek
addition