Dragon Bf110C-3, 235-5 235 Squadriglia (Done)

IainM

On 11/28/2021 at 4:14 PM, Nigels modelling bench said:

Nice build Iain,

I noticed back a few pages ago..  you discussed the Revell offering of the kit? It is indeed the same kit, from the same moulds, but the plastic is a very light grey colour and there are sink marks where the Dragon has none. The instructions are of course easier to deal with, but the painting guide is the typical Revell, "silky matt olive mixed 4:1 with gloss olive drab", if you know what I mean. Oh, and the box could be less than half the size...

Having said all that, it is currently available on Amazon UK for only £50, which is a bargain for such a beautiful model.

Nige

Hey Nige

Yep, that box could be a bit smaller! :lol:
Luckily, on top of this one that I'm building, and one I've built, I still have another 5 Dragon 110's sitting on the shelves :thumbsup: won't have to deal with the Revell plastic for a while!

@Anthony in NZ Cheers mate! Nope, less than I expected, which was quite lucky. Just a couple of scratches and minor seam lines to deal with!
Yep, nice to have my own space eventually!! See you changed your location...:clap2:
@nmayhew thanks for that!!!

Night before last I cut my masks for the markings (had used the Owl set for reference/scanning - OOP, bought years ago) using Oramask810 on my Silhouette. Turned out pretty well, measurements were pretty bang-on, so didn't have to go back and redo the measurements. That being said, not much as far as markings go, pretty simple.

uhqWDF.jpg

Mr. Surfacer primer white 1500 for the white markings - jolly fine result!;) Fuselage band masked off, and the Oramask crosses applied on the vertical stabs.
Except for the standard Luftwaffe Balkenkreuz on the top of the wings, and the fuselage codes to come, that's pretty much it. The underwing crosses were painted over with RLM 22, as well as the fuselage Balkenkreuz and the Hakenkreuz on the vertical stabs.

Here she is with Mr Surfacer 1500 black primer, after a spray coat of MLT, ready for the base mottling that's to come. Or maybe I should pretend that it's the cellulose based RLM22 they used to throw on the German night fighters, give her a couple of German markings and call it done!:evil_laugh:
OoRHd5.jpg

QX7zt5.jpg

3QoA9B.jpg

I don't know how I'm going to display these 1/32 beasts once I get around to getting a cabinet.....or where I'm going to put it...:lol:

Cheers
Iain

On 3/23/2021 at 6:46 PM, IainM said:

@MikeMaben indeed!

@mozart Thanks Max ! Just had a quick look at your G build - that was before I joined LSP -  some nice tips in there thanks!! :clap2:Beautiful result!!!

@Grunticus I believe that's the Dragon tooling? If it is, then it's probably the best tooled kit Revell has in 1/32...:lol: my last couple of kits were Revell, they were interesting to say the least...;) but more likely my skills....

@monthebiff thanks Andy!

The Revell is the Dragon tooling but, having built both, i would spend the extra on the Dragon any day.  Revell used their cheap plastic and while clearly from the same moulds the parts were nowhere near as crisp and clean as the Dragon.   Also I found it easier to use the Dragon instructions as it was easier to follow Brett Greens erratum list.  Revells idea of improving the instructions was just to spread them out…. 90% of the errors were left in. 

• IainM changed the title to Dragon Bf110C-3, 235-5 235 Squadriglia (Painting.....)
  • 2 weeks later...

After a few days of work commitments :lol: and a week of seasonal/unseasonal summer rain...every day... some so bad I had to give up trying to get paint to flow normally because of all the moisture in the air, I've eventually managed to get the marble coat onto the 110.
This just forms a contrast base for the paint to come, I'm still trying to decide which direction I need to move in doing distressing/contrast layers to the RLM70/71 and the Verde Oliva Scuro 2 colours.

EPNHVQ.jpg

poKEdM.jpg

xn3B64.jpg

sFQQ1I.jpg

Till later

Iain

Laid down some paint (RLM 02, Mitsubishi Dark Green and brown)  to provide some tonal variation for the first coat of RLM 71 which comes next. Tonally, RLM 70 and 71 aren't too different, and RLM 71 apparently used to fade a lot quicker than RLM70, so using the same tones of paint below both colours seems to make sense. I will perhaps pop some more similar tones under the RLM 70. But both colours will get post work done to them as well for wear/fading, etc, so I can adjust there.

Looks a bit messy at the moment, but hopefully the method to my madness pays off!:lol:

sVduBq.jpg

The scheme call-out for this is factory applied RLM 70/71 splinter (so I'm going to spray that as a very tight demarcation), which will get some decent weathering treatments, and then the underside is oversprayed RLM 65 with RLM 22 (field applied) - this will be applied with a light feathered edge. The Verde Oliva Scuro 2 was also field applied to cover the fuselage/vertical stab German insignia - so this will be a much "fresher" coat....

0Huu3M.jpg

Next step is to mist down coats of RLM 71 over the areas I've toned already, mask them off and then do the same process for the RLM 70.

MTUdcM.jpg

Hi Iain, I just read through the entire thread and it is very inspiring. Your work on the IP alone was worth the look through.  I have this kit with one of Pastor John's conversion kits and plan to build it as an Erpro 210 aircraft during the Battle of Britain. I will be using your thread as reference of what right looks like. 

Ernest 

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Super progress so far, Iain. That paint job sure looks like a lot of work!

Kev

Thanks @LSP_Kevin Yes...but I hope what you see is the tip of the iceberg done!

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

I might walk around and give you my Phantom to do the cockpit...and now paint!  Handy having you live closer!

Looking awesome mate

@Anthony in NZ You're welcome anytime! :lol: Coffee is always on!

57 minutes ago, Greif8 said:

Hi Iain, I just read through the entire thread and it is very inspiring. Your work on the IP alone was worth the look through.  I have this kit with one of Pastor John's conversion kits and plan to build it as an Erpro 210 aircraft during the Battle of Britain. I will be using your thread as reference of what right looks like. 

Ernest 

@Greif8 And that comment is highly appreciated! Although I would have been lost without the likes of John Vasco himself giving me some invaluable pointers on this build. I had no idea how many subtle differences there were in the C-3 compared to the rest.
I look very forward to seeing that build of yours!