1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest V - Fairbanks JJ+F

Thunnus

2 hours ago, Thunnus said:

I haven't decided which cowling to use and didn't feel like working on the cockpit so I conducted a paint test, even though that stage is very far away.  I used a spare wing to test two sets of RAF colors.  On the right side are Mr Color paints and on the left Mr Hobby Aqueous + Tamiya.  I think I'm going to go with the Mr Color paints as they spray a bit nicer and offer a better contrast between the two grays.  I also cut some masks and tried my hand at the 4-color RAF roundels.  Not perfect but I think I've established a working order for the color application with a minimum of mask transfers.

Excellent effect John :thumbsup:

Derek

Playing around with the cockpit a little bit.  I've been hesitating because of all of the separate small parts that go into the cockpit.  It would be easier to paint them separately but at the same time, I want to get all/most of the wiring into place before painting.  I've added some of the small parts to the fuselage insides.  The flare gun looks a bit overscale and I'll probably make the barrel and the flare cannisters smaller.
IMG-1896.jpg

IMG-1897.jpg

I was able to glue and blend in the intake roof to the kit cowling fairly well, which makes the decision as to which way to go a little tougher.
IMG-1900.jpg

IMG-1901.jpg

I am leaning towards using the kit cowling as of now.  Lots of little reasons why but mostly because it fits better and requires less trimming to make things work.  And a bit disappointed that the "corrected" spinner that I was sent was still too small.  The kit spinner has been extensively re-shaped and I think I've done a decent job removing that bulbous look.  Yes, the intake is too large but unless you compare them side by side, I don't think it is too noticeable.

John I have been really interested in following your progress, such a shame that spinner is too small :wacko:

I am not at all surprised at your issue fitting the CMK engine section in around the spinner backplate as this area was somewhat reduced in diameter, but I thought it might have been a little easier than that.   Whatever way you choose to go you will have a stunning finished result!

Keep it up buddy

Cheers Anthony

Given the amount and effort you have put into correcting the kit part (and it does now look very good, and fits better), my preference would be go with that part (being non-resin, it also has other advantages, especially if any further correction, sanding and filling is required). 

Great work John :thumbsup:

Derek

John,

Curious, why don't you sand the resin nose to fit the spinner, rather than worry about the spinner not fitting the nose?  That's what I did and it turned out about 90% correct looking, which when combined with the better looking intake made the resin nose the clear winner?

Love your cockpit tweaks and I now know where the flare gun goes!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

On 3/12/2021 at 10:03 PM, zaxos345 said:

Excellent work John... I am with you with the spinner :rolleyes:

John

It took quite a while to shave down without melting plastic but I think it looks a lot better.

On 3/12/2021 at 10:06 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

John I have been really interested in following your progress, such a shame that spinner is too small :wacko:

I am not at all surprised at your issue fitting the CMK engine section in around the spinner backplate as this area was somewhat reduced in diameter, but I thought it might have been a little easier than that.   Whatever way you choose to go you will have a stunning finished result!

Keep it up buddy

Cheers Anthony

Thank you Anthony!  I really HATE to disappoint the guy that designed the Barracuda cowling so your support means alot!

On 3/12/2021 at 10:57 PM, scvrobeson said:

Great update, I like the cockpit wiring.

Would it be possible to use the kit spinner with the resin nose? Then you fix the problem with the backplate and the intake all at once.

Matt 

Kit spinner is too large and would overlap what's left of the resin nose.  So I'd have to shave down the circumference of the base of the spinner to make it fit.  It's possible but it would be easier to shave the fuselage nose down to match the resin spinner.

21 hours ago, Derek B said:

Given the amount and effort you have put into correcting the kit part (and it does now look very good, and fits better), my preference would be go with that part (being non-resin, it also has other advantages, especially if any further correction, sanding and filling is required). 

Great work John :thumbsup:

Derek

Yes, that is definitely a consideration with me.  I am simply more comfortable working with plastic than resin whenever possible.

17 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

John,

Curious, why don't you sand the resin nose to fit the spinner, rather than worry about the spinner not fitting the nose?  That's what I did and it turned out about 90% correct looking, which when combined with the better looking intake made the resin nose the clear winner?

Love your cockpit tweaks and I now know where the flare gun goes!

Cheers,

Chuck

Yes, going with the Barracuda resin nose would lead me down that path.  Not only shaving the resin nose but the resin engine as well.  Not difficult to do but the kit nose requires no adjustment at all.  And the look of the intake does not bother me, personally.  I still haven't COMMITTED to either one but am leaning strongly toward using the kit nose. 

Just an educated guess on the flares and gun since I've not seen a photo to confirm this.

The cockpit sidewalls have been painted...

IMG-1916.jpg

10 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Thank you Anthony!  I really HATE to disappoint the guy that designed the Barracuda cowling so your support means alot!

No need to worry buddy!  I would feel the same if the spinner didn't fit either.  If you dont use the resin nose then PM me, I have a home for it as my kit dosent have one...I gave mine away to a local guy during Covid lockdown

Cheers Anthony

• 1 year later...

One year later...

I'm going to re-start this project.  Out of all of the in-progress builds that I have shelved, I felt the most conviction to get this one going again.  It is in my preferred 1/32 scale.  It is a WW2 fighter, which again is my preference. And it is a known antagonist against some of the Luftwaffe fighters that I am always building like the Dora and Me262.

I went over my past build posts to re-orient myself.  I barely started this build and haven't even finished the cockpit painting.  Looking back on it, most of my time was spent trying to figure out which engine cowling to use: the kit plastic with its bulbous spinner and slightly too large chin intake or the more accurate Barracuda Studios version.  Seems like an easy choice but I am planning to utilize the resin Napier engine and I had fit issues with the Barracuda resin cowling.  So... I am sticking with the kit cowling.  I've been slowly re-shaping the kit spinner and I think I've got it close to where I want it.  All of the dry-fitting did a number on the lead wire replacements on the engine so these have been replaced with stiffer copper wire.
IMG-1227.jpg
IMG-1225.jpg
IMG-1226.jpg

I've started painting more of the cockpit components.  Some wiring has been added but I don't know how it will be routed.  I'll figure that out after I start piecing together the cockpit cage.
IMG-1228.jpg

Some of the sub-assemblies have already been painted such as the central control column and foot pedals...
IMG-1229.jpg

... and the instrument panel.
IMG-1230.jpg

I spent the past few days trying to move the cockpit stage forward.  Being a typical WW2 British fighter, the cockpit is a tubular frame without a solid floor.  Dry-fitting is just about impossible so I am just going to paint and weather things first and assemble later.  The majority of my effort has been getting the two side frames finished.
IMG-1231.jpg

If you jump back to previous posts, you can see that I did some work in replacing some molded bumps with proper stalk-and-knobs.  A little bit of wiring was added as well.
IMG-1232.jpg

IMG-1233.jpg

Here are the sidewalls placed into position into the previously painted fuselage sides.  Note the flare pistol and a couple of flare cartridges that I added.
IMG-1234.jpg

IMG-1235.jpg