You want how much?? Part II

Oldbaldguy

We’ve explored and opined in some depth already on the seemingly sudden spike in asking prices for old kits we usually wouldn’t look at twice.  Well, it seems inflation has hit the 1:1 arena as well.  My last full-size airplane was a 1963 Cessna 182.  Nice enough and very practical but we didn’t get along well, so I sold it three and a half years ago to a guy who could afford to buy nice things for his girl friend for what I thought was a fair price of $45,000.  Apparently, the girl friend has moved on and/or he/she didn’t get on well with the airplane either, and I see that it is up for sale.  This is a 57 year old airframe with more than 5,000 hours on it.  New motor, new prop, middle of the road avionics, but everything else is whatever it was born with and is nearly 60 years old.  Asking price?  $109,000.  Of course, what you want and what you get are two different things but, somehow, those $25 Monogram kits from back in the day now seem pretty reasonable.

Back in ‘82 my brother bought a ‘69 Shelby GT500 for $3200.  Sold it about a year later for $9600. I begged him not to sell it. I knew the price was still rising.  A few months later value jumped to $55K.    Within a few years, over $200K.   It’s backed down a little since then, but at least I got to drive it a lot before it was gone. 

7 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

It does indeed.  The pilot’s side window can be opened in flight and you can fit any number of things through the opening.  Do not ask me how I know this.

Like empty coke bottles over sub-Saharan Africa? (Movie nerds will know what i'm talking about).

Just to set the record straight:  $45k was just a tad under fair market value for my airplane when I sold it and a good price for that airplane at that time.   It had a couple of glitches I couldn’t work out, so I dropped the price a bit and it sold very quickly.  Amazingly, if the current owner gets his $109K(not likely), I think he’ll just break even after replacing the engine, prop, transponder and one radio.   That’s about $60,000 in parts and labor.  No wonder general aviation is dying in America.

I guess this is a case of "It's worth what folks are willing to pay for it".

It occurs to me that many things are valued at a huge level simply because a very small group of people say that's what they are worth. Why is a Van Gogh original painting supposedly worth several 100 millions of Dollars? Because a select bunch of people say it is (and very rich folk want the cache of owning it).    

The ironic thing with Art is that the value is very much dictated by trends. I read an article about an English painter who's work you literally couldn't give away back in the 1970's, as he was not considered to be "en vogue" by the artistic fraternity. Nowadays, his paintings sell for £50,000 to £100,000. Like I said..... trends. 

If this makes any sense to anyone here, can you please explain it to me? 

Cheers.

Chris.

4 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I guess this is a case of "It's worth what folks are willing to pay for it".

Yes and no.

If you go to any airport, you'll see the increasing numbers of general aviation aircraft rotting away on the tie-downs, where the owners have confused sentimental value with actual value.

I'd say ill wait for the bubble to pop and all these horders to pass away, but by then all that will be left will be a pile of iron filings and aluminium dust, and the things won't be financially viable to restore. 

18 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

This is a 57 year old airframe with more than 5,000 hours on it.  New motor, new prop, middle of the road avionics, but everything else is whatever it was born with and is nearly 60 years old.  Asking price?  $109,000. 

Your price is right on the money, id LOVE to find a 182 for that money :BANGHEAD2:

If you want a proper WTF moment, we have a customer's brand new Husky in the hangar at the moment. 

received_497365274586868

Essentially a super cub with 200hp a modern instrument panel and it's on amphibs. 

Whats the asking price?

Ready for this?

$520'000usd BEFORE tax. 

The same owner bought a 10 year old fantastic condition Beech Premier jet for less than this thing cost.

It's completely out of hand. 

20 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

That's crasy,  that's what my buddy's dad sold his P-51D for back in the 80's

Exactly. You won't get into a flying p51 for less than multiple millions these days. 

It's severely disheartening for guys of my generation who grew up reading about the guys who flew and maintained all the cool old hardware. It has always been expensive, but somewhat obtainable if you were willing to put in the blood sweat and tears yourself. Now they're all completely unobtainable. Its a damn shame. 

hah!  I got the perfect cure for pilot's disease....diabetes!  The FAA, via the flight surgeon, will rip that certificate right out of your hands....  Bingo, no more worries about flying airplanes, what they cost, or anything else....  If you have one of them-thar flyin machines, you can offload it.  Maybe you'll make money, maybe you won't depending upon what you got.