1:32 Boeing P-8A Poseidon?

Iain

On 11/4/2021 at 3:16 AM, Starfighter said:

Scanning parts is not "easy" - all you get from a scan is a cloud of points which first have to be converted into real surfaces. Then, you have to add material thickness as well. In addition, high-resolution 3D scanners are still super expensive at the moment. 

Turns out, it is going to be possible! I have a buddy that works for a local high school that has such a scanner, and he's confident he can scan parts in, and recreate them in a larger scale. He's tried it on a golf ball successfully, which is a fairly complex shape overall. He's offered to give it a shot on my parts. I'll let you all know if it works or not.

As for the ethical issues associated, I have already purchased the 1/48 kits and their respective parts, and am going to be having one-off parts made for personal use. So, I think I'm in the clear, at least I feel that way. I'm not making any profit, and I'm not passing anything off as my own. But, I'll anxiously await my letter from PJ's law firm, too.

Iain, keep up the great work. That thing is a monster! Sadly, I'm not sure of a P-8 in any other scale, so this "offer" of scanning and enlarging parts isn't applicable at the moment. But, perhaps a door can be opened here. Isn't Tamiya doing essentially the same, but in reverse? Scanning full-size aircraft, and then scaling them down to fit within those scanned parameters? Think of some of the headaches that could have been avoided by other companies if they had utilized the same, like Hobby Boss with their A-26.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

9 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Turns out, it is going to be possible! I have a buddy that works for a local high school that has such a scanner, and he's confident he can scan parts in, and recreate them in a larger scale. He's tried it on a golf ball successfully, which is a fairly complex shape overall. He's offered to give it a shot on my parts. I'll let you all know if it works or not.

As for the ethical issues associated, I have already purchased the 1/48 kits and their respective parts, and am going to be having one-off parts made for personal use. So, I think I'm in the clear, at least I feel that way. I'm not making any profit, and I'm not passing anything off as my own. But, I'll anxiously await my letter from PJ's law firm, too.

Iain, keep up the great work. That thing is a monster! Sadly, I'm not sure of a P-8 in any other scale, so this "offer" of scanning and enlarging parts isn't applicable at the moment. But, perhaps a door can be opened here. Isn't Tamiya doing essentially the same, but in reverse? Scanning full-size aircraft, and then scaling them down to fit within those scanned parameters? Think of some of the headaches that could have been avoided by other companies if they had utilized the same, like Hobby Boss with their A-26.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Of course it's "possible" - it's just not "easy". My company has been scanning cars to turn them into collectors scale models since years so it is of course totally possible. Regarding "ethical issues", I think there are none if you are doing parts for your personal use. 

15 hours ago, Iain said:

Lightweight!  :D

You know you *really* want a Large Scale Poseidon (LSP of course!), don't fight it...  :P

Iain

My wife, for consecutive Christmases, got me the Tamiya Mossie and Nichimo Hughes 500 but this may be where her support vanishes!:D