How easy is the 24 th Airfix Harrier ?

Erwin

Hi all,

I normally only build WW-2.

But my options in 24 th scale are running low.

I was wondering if the Harrier is a good "out of comforzone" build.

Edited by Erwin

I’ve done the Sea Harrier a good few years ago. I wanted to make a good one and so piled everything at it. The kit itself is a product of the design of its time. However modelling can bring some good results, but you have to put time and effort in. You can obviously choose to build it out of the box, but I’d bet you’d want to make a better presentation if you see into the future.

Occasionally I look out for a GR.1 or 3 kit, but silly asking prices dictate that I’ll hold off, plus I don’t think they actually sell.

Good luck and what’s your thoughts......?

Heritage Aviation have now gone. The only thing that is a 'must' do are the flip-flop intake doors. You can hide a lot of the internals in shadow if you fit intake blanks though. There is no reason to drop flaps or leave all the undercarriage doors open but the air brake is always a little down (alas).

This kit was released when lots of ordnance appealed more than detailed bays. I always wished that Airfix/PSL included it (alongside the 190) in their "Classic Aircraft" book range. Still, check out Nick Greenall's work in all the forums (he of the Harrier (SIG) and the Modellers Data File series for inspiration.

Don't let them scare you, Erwin. You have built most of the other Airfix 1/24th scale kits, the Harrier is not much different. It was 3rd in the series, and it shows about the same quality of detail of their first two kits: the Spitfire and Bf109, I believe? It is not as nice as the Stuka. Not much aftermarket you are going to find on it, but I believe you mostly build OOB so that shouldn't be a problem. The quality of the mouldings depend on if you have an early or later boxing - my later boxing (GR3 kit) has a bit of flash.

There is a review on Cybermodeler, too, if you want a read.

I'd just have fun with it. I hope to do a Falklands bird when I do mine, though I haven't decided on SHAR or GR.3 yet...

I built this kit five or six years ago and just remember having a lot of fun with it. I made absolutely no attempt to update or detail it, but I'm sure you could (especially the intake doors as noted above). I also remember that it was a pretty impressive size when finished. I'd build another one right now I I could find the kit. Maybe Airfix will rebox it like they have recently with the Hurricane, 109 and Spitfire?

Final%2002.jpg

I built the SHAR a long time back.

It will build up out of the box ok but you can get carried away with detailing and sanding back of a lot of over-raised rivets !

Didn't have a build thread but RFI thread here:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/28588-124-airfix-sea-harrier-frs1/

P2230460.jpg

I’ve built a GR3 recently too. 

As others have said it is a product of its time but I had great fun with it. 

I didn’t use any aftermarket but did add detail to the cockpit using Evergreen and the like as detail here is lacking. The ejection seat is designed to have the pilot seated so again some additional work was done to the seat. 

If you get hold of one, you’ll have a lot of fun - good old fashioned modelling at its best. 

It's no easy kit, it really depends on deep you wanna go

rivets are awful and need to be completely filled

intake doors are a pain to cut for gravity

cockpit is sparse

I did one a long while ago with Heritage and FP bits, took me a year:

087_final3.jpg

096_diorama.jpg

https://reddogsmodels.wordpress.com/2011/06/20/124-airfix-harrier-gr3/

Edited by red Dog

Some lovely models there chaps. I remember my Dad building this kit back in the 70s and he enjoyed it. 

Spence Pollard did a beautiful conversion of one of these into a two seat version, which was at Telford a few years back. Was simply glorious!