Special Hobby Tempest

Cheetah11

My late father was a teenager during the Second World War and  I suppose like the rest of his generation it left a lasting interest in the war, especially the air war. He had a great collection of virtually all the biographies written after the war, which was where I developed my interest in aviation history. One of the most interesting books for me was 'The Big Show" by Pierre Closterman . I am sure most of you do not need an intro to the book. I found his account interesting as he had a more candid view on Allied losses than most of the other biographies.  It also introduced me to the Hawker Tempest as in those day almost all literature only referred to the Spitfire and Hurricane on the British side. I immediately took a liking to the Tempest and built a Frog kit in the seventies and a Heller kit in 1982.

I never expected a 1/32 Tempest and when Special Hobby released their kit, I snapped up one and started building. The kit was 99,9% finished a year ago but I only found some clear paint for the wing tip lights last week. If you want to see a super build, follow Chuck's build. This one is straight from the box with codes with the Silhouette Cutter and light pastel weathering as the Allied aircraft did not seem to have a very much longer service life than that of the Luftwaffe.

imageproxy-16.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

A small memento from the seventies. An Esci decal sheet for a Tempest.

DSC00125.jpg

Enjoy

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11
Additional text

Lovely work Nick, a real show stopper. Cracking model :clap2: and a very good illustration of what can be achieved with the use of masks from the Silhouette cutter. It would be worth putting in the Gallery and the masks file in the right section on Kev’s other site: 

https://www.scalemodelpaintmasks.com/index.php

Edited by mozart

Well done Nick.  I have read the “The Big show”  several times.  I even picked up a first editions book from Rick, LSP.   Why?   Just to have it.   I ha e a lithograph somewhere call Rat Catchers.  Signed by Closterman many years ago.  Your model is awesome and most importantly thanks for sharing it with us and your story.