RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

This project certainly seems to question a lot of things we thought we knew about the Spey-Phantoms, and a larger diameter nose wheel leg for the double extendable fuction makes sense as you effectively have a hydraulic piston inside a piston, so they can't be the same diameter.  Good catch that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 9:45 PM, Landrotten Highlander said:

Those poor sheep, having stuck these things in their back....

Nice work on the landing gear, by the way

LOL who knew sheep were so multi useful as well as tasting good, they produce wool for clothing and hold model parts!

On 12/1/2023 at 12:07 AM, jenshb said:

This project certainly seems to question a lot of things we thought we knew about the Spey-Phantoms, and a larger diameter nose wheel leg for the double extendable fuction makes sense as you effectively have a hydraulic piston inside a piston, so they can't be the same diameter.  Good catch that.

Thanks, yes it was a good catch, there is definitely much more to these Brit ones than first meets the eye arent there?

So, things under wings still.

I will start with u/c doors as that's where I finished last time.  I have finished the mlg doors and as usual added fairings, latches, placards, adjusted ribs and the usual flush and raised rivets.

6YJ8UU.jpg

Note the little (uplock?) catches on the fronts of the doors

8BLdAE.jpg

Next up is inner pylons.  I brought the beautiful Reskit Navy inboard pylon set which is beautiful, but however needs modifying (of course).  Note on the base of the pylon there is a rail printed on there? Well that has to be removed as the FG.1 and FGR-2 werent wired to have direct missile capability on that rail (but still did have the ability with the LAU's on either side).  The F-4J(UK) likely did but I havent looked into it, so that may be worth checking if you are using these on a Brit J(UK)

0Ufeql.jpg

See here (photo credit ''Black Mike'' restoration facebook page)

6vZcPn.png

So I removed that detail

R7ClMM.jpg

Mr Surfacer on after also filling that big hole for the rail spacers

DRKtTI.jpg

Next I would like to introduce this beautiful luggage pod as produced by Bandit Resin Factory @Turecki which is beautiful indeed.  The nice thing is the lower hinge on the door is able to be left open, a nice touch I think!  Fairly common in RAF Phantom service along with another version which was larger and apparently a cut down Aero 1A 150gal tank

Images for proof of use lol

PBb1bQ.jpg

And even XV571 (in her last scheme before retirement)

IoY3XL.png

Wan8Ce.jpg

I just need to figure out where to find the little adapter that holds to two together now....

Thanks to Canberra kid on BM for this image

LLzMIf.jpg

M0CFep.jpg

Thanks also to a couple of gents on BM for their help also, you know who you are and it was much appreciated!

Cheers Anthony

On 12/12/2023 at 10:44 PM, GMK said:

G’day Anthony,

Have been following your progress - both impressive & relentless!

Really, really impressed with your enduring commitment to quality & accuracy. 

Thank you sir!  Nice still having you along!!!

On 12/12/2023 at 10:52 PM, Derek B said:

Awesome update - thanks Anthony!

:thumbsup:  :goodjob:

Derek

My pleasure, shame it wasnt more

Lick of paint and a little buff to slightly wear the grey off the top.  These were often worn through along here, I guess it might be part of the preflight or generally handy to run your hands along...

Pylons seem to be generally pretty clean but I felt the surface detail was heavy enough on this part not to warrant a wash or anything, less is more sometimes, just went with 2 shades of white.

Irn8Ku.jpg

Looking at that photo I might do a little more to soften the wear on that grey...dosent look that bad in real life.  Sheesh the camera can be brutal, especially in direct sunlight

Thanks for your comments and reactions, really helps me plod to the finish line

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony. 

The pylon looks good on my screen. Who's to say how much the grey wears from one pylon to the next? Your version looks similar to the reference photo you showed further up the page to me. 

Any thoughts on maybe adding some random small spots of grease or some pastel dust around heavily touched areas to suggest handling rather than an all over panel line wash? 

Did you fabricate an adaptor for the luggage pod or have you found one? It looks like creating one from scratch would be well within your skillset:thumbsup:

Cheers.

On 12/15/2023 at 9:34 PM, blackbetty said:

every now and then a drop in here and are amazed by your work

then i remeber i have three phantoms in the stash.....

Thanks very much....you better crack on then and start one! Or wait for Red Pills Models which I am sure will be an easier build.  Having said that, something still just looks 'right'with the Tamiya kit, even with its issues.  I still highly rate it.

On 12/18/2023 at 2:04 PM, Greg W said:

Outstanding job, the painting and weathering looks terrific. The stencils look darned good too, ultra real. 

You sir are too kind, thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

On 12/18/2023 at 8:53 PM, geedubelyer said:

Hi Anthony. 

The pylon looks good on my screen. Who's to say how much the grey wears from one pylon to the next? Your version looks similar to the reference photo you showed further up the page to me. 

Any thoughts on maybe adding some random small spots of grease or some pastel dust around heavily touched areas to suggest handling rather than an all over panel line wash? 

Did you fabricate an adaptor for the luggage pod or have you found one? It looks like creating one from scratch would be well within your skillset:thumbsup:

Cheers.

Oh good thanks, yes I have done a little bit of wear and a little tonal variation, it has really just knocked the starkness back which I am happier about.  However dosent look much different in the pics to follow.

@Turecki is CADíng one up so the pod can be mounted to the adapter rail.  It seems many,  incl Air Force ones dont use this little adapter mount. He's a great guy, I highly recommend his products!

On 12/19/2023 at 9:47 AM, Marcel111 said:

Wow, the incredible and flawless work continues!

Thanks buddy, that means a lot coming from the master!  Your F-4B conversion is exquisite and massively inspiring to me

So in between life I have managed some more progress.

Finished the other pylon off ready for the rails to be fitted.  This time I painted it in a 'repaint' scheme of an overall light aircraft grey (or similar) as it has different stencils and you commonly see Brit Phantoms with missmatched pylons.  In fact I have a pic of XV571 with this exact grey on the stbd side so that was my inspiration. You can see instead of red text it has explosive bolts triangles and a mix of black and very pale grey service markings.  Honestly anything would be correct as every one I looked at was different and had variations on the markings.....

z3FYHO.jpg

gcrEI2.jpg

Then onto the Bandit Resin Travel Pod Type A , oh and I put a few dents and scrapes on it which was typical

9sYa4e.jpg

WbUMHJ.jpg

A nice touch was the little fasteners that fix the door in place when closed.  Fiddly but very cool

YMannv.jpg

Should look good when mounted to the pylon.  Such a great addition to your model, I see F-16's use them too.  No doubt others.

MRh5Zv.jpg

Thanks for tuning in as always! Hope it was of some interest

Cheers Anthony

4 hours ago, Grunticus said:

I follow this thread from time to time. What you do here is truly awesome! This must be the most accurate F-4 model ever when finished. I could never do this, but I admire it with great respect.

Well thank you very much, but way too kind.  There are other nicer Phantom builds out there for sure and thats where I draw my inspiration from.  I super appreciate your kind comments and encouragement to press on!! Thanks again