Got my jet back from rehab- The Wave

23 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

The FAA changed the mandatory retirement age to 65 about 10 years ago- so I’ll be around for a while!

the standard tip tanks only hold 26 gallons a side, so no fear of tipping the jet when fueling the tips-

cheers

Pete

Oh, I'm glad to hear that the FAA finally came to their senses and at least upped the mandatory retirement age to 65...  Some of the flight crews in our 135 operation were seriously pissed about the age 60 mandatory retirement...some were in their 50's back then and they, as I suspect is the same with you, were not ready to retire from commercial aviation at 60. They were bitching to the FAA POI (Principal Operations Inspector - probably not known by that title as they're all ASI's but that's what they referred to them as) for our area....  It got so that the poor guys hated to walk in the door of our facility as they knew they'd be bombarded by unhappy flight crews (the chief pilot being one of the more vocal).

Edited by Juggernut

4 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Oh, I'm glad to hear that the FAA finally came to their senses and at least upped the mandatory retirement age to 65...  Some of the flight crews in our 135 operation were seriously pissed about the age 60 mandatory retirement...some were in their 50's back then and they, as I suspect is the same with you, were not ready to retire from commercial aviation at 60. They were bitching to the FAA POI (Principal Operations Inspector - probably not known by that title as they're all ASI's but that's what they referred to them as) for our area....  It got so that the poor guys hated to walk in the door of our facility as they knew they'd be bombarded by unhappy flight crews (the chief pilot being one of the more vocal).

We’ve gotta get the FAA out of aviation somehow…

P

6 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Hey Pete,

Just so you know, when I die and if I come back, I want to be just like you!

I hated being a turtle…….

Cheers,

Wolf

6 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Hey Pete,

Just so you know, when I die and if I come back, I want to be just like you!

I hated being a turtle…….

Cheers,

Wolf

Holy smoke Wolf I think you can do better than me; but I appreciate it!

me? When I come back, I’m coming back as one of my dogs…

Nice experience Pete! I made similar experiences back in the day flying an amphib 206 cross-country... a farmer trucked over fuel for us after we ran low diverting around bad weather over the Canadian prairies... his wife even snuck homemade roast-beef sandwiches for us into the delivery... we landed in an irrigation drainage on his property... refueled, ate lunch and took off again! We sent him a wire transfer with the fuel cost and something extra for the lunch! Some good people in this World - we only need to have our eyes open enough to see them!

Cheers and happy flights!

Alan

As an A320 instructor, I am dual-qualified in both seats. A new captain upgrade requires that I fly/instruct from the right seat. Just wrapped up an Airbus Captain Requalification for a good friend.. Had to shoot a picture to remember what an awesome time we had-

UaEAFur.jpg

cheers

P

• Pete Fleischmann changed the title to Got my jet back from rehab- Another day job photo
  • 2 weeks later...

Both of you are military jet pilots?

Is that cool or what!!!

Talk about a different way of traveling on vacation. 

I can see it now-

"I'm flying today"

"No I am. You flew yesterday"

" But that was hard IFR with a minimums ILS approach. Today is VFR!"

Wife emphatically says  

with that wife look men get we they want us to shutup:

"I'm flying today. End of discussion!!!"

Pete says--" Yes dear!!!!"

Tim

Whenever I’ve ridden with commercial pilots anywhere, they always give directions in minutes….  I once had to meet a flight crew in Westchester, NY and they gave me directions to the hotel by route number and how many minutes travel on each route.  I had never experienced that before.  There were no “directions” apps on flip phones back then…. I’m wondering if that’s a common occurrence with pilots since time plays a huge part in navigation….or at least it used to.

On 7/14/2021 at 11:23 PM, Pete Fleischmann said:

My wife Kristi.

mother of my three boys-

ass-kicking jet pilot.

BjtGbD5.jpg

I remember Tony McPeak at an Air Staff officer’s call saying in his best “I’m in charge” voice that there would never be women in fighter cockpits as long as he was running the Air Force (He also hated A-10s, BTW and we still have those.) and I thought to myself, “Dude, you are toast.”  A couple of days later he was invited to the White House to have a chat with Bubba and son of a gun, it wasn’t long before there were gals in the pipeline and some of ‘em were making us look bad.  

8 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

When I let my wife drive the Honda Pilot on a trip it’s a white knuckle ride for me.   Cannot imagine riding with her if she was the pilot! 

She’s one of those drivers that HAS to use cruise control or she’s doing 90 MPH and not realizing it. 

My spousal unit is not a pilot but she has been flying with me since 1979.  Occasionally on a cross-country, I’d get her to be the auto pilot while I looked up something or folded a sectional or maybe was rummaging around for the pee bottle.  Her only job was to fly along wings level with the nose pointed generally in the direction we were going.  Not hard; most airplanes can do that all by themselves.   But whenever I’d give her the stick even for a nanosecond, we’d end up in a wingover to her side.  Never failed.