Fw 190 D-9 JV 44

Pastor John

Hi everyone, hope you are all well. I started a model for myself half a year back - not getting off to a good start with four of the six Aires/Quickboost sets I bought not fitting, all having 1.6mm shrinkage and as to date they have still not replied to either my emails or Hannants emails politely warning of the problem so  I do not feel too bad about sharing now to be honest! Anyway I enjoyed painting their cockpit set - rear shelf having been lengthened by 1.6mm to fit! and their perfectly fitting gear bay product. I do not really have too much time to do builds with lots of photos but enjoyed fitting me new AIMS PE details. So everything coming along and soon able to close it up and I ended up changing the kits upper gun cowl myself and am very happy with it so will go with that like I should have done from the beginning! 

20200509-180240.jpg20200629-124035.jpg20200629-124230.jpg20200629-130955.jpg

Edited by Pastor John

I sometimes wish the AM resin suppliers would offer some sort of premium  service optimized for minimum shrinkage. I do a fair bit of home casting and generally use clear acrylic resin for just this purpose. Some of the resin aircraft I have bought have demonstrated up to 10% shrinkage- always assuming the masters had been worked to some closer approximation of actual scaled dimensions!

les

I love all things Dora so I'll be watching this with interest! Sort of jealous that your resin wheel wells fit so well.  On my D-13 build, I had to cut mine in half to account for the shrinkage and position them so the holes for the cannon barrels lined up.

7 hours ago, Pastor John said:

They should not have to! If I can use more expensive platinum cured resin and silicone with its minimal to zero shrinkage due to less exothermic reaction and as a result have a smaller profit margin then so can other people!

Couldn't agree more John, the fit of your resin is excellent and really nice to work with. Some others should take note as nothing worse than poor fit, brittle parts etc etc.

Regards. Andy 

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, nice to be able to sit a little after three weeks in bed. Knee doing well after the surgery but not rushing back to AIMS with all its standing and bending to cast so just enjoying trying to finish a model at the moment and in the last few days was able to get some painting done or should a say a lot of masking and a little painting? So Red 1 of JV 44 coming along. I have used Mr Paint colours without exception. The paint is semi gloss already - more so if you put it directly onto plastic but the red was put on top of the Mr Paint white primer and so it is more matt than the upper colours, anyway a little more gloss then on with the decals. Thanks, John

20200916-085142.jpg20200916-085342.jpg20200916-085331.jpg20200916-085130.jpg