1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

On 3/19/2021 at 7:42 AM, Thunnus said:

After the RLM 76 is done, the wing colors (RLM 74 and 75) are applied to the top of the wings and horizontal stabilizers.  Again Mr Hobby Aqueous is the paint used and the same thinner ratio is used.  A small amount hairspray chipping was done at the wing roots but it will be mostly covered by the final round of camo painting.

John, such a fantastic job on this one! If you have time, can you elaborate on how you did the wingroot hairspray chipping? I find it to be most realistic looking! Your builds are truly inspiring.

On 3/22/2021 at 7:52 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Get out of crazy town (CA) and ENJOY, HI.  It's so awesome.   Seven times with my two sons and never a ever a regret.  Hope you get to fish a bit too, perhaps?  

Relax John.  All the best my friend...    

Sincerely 

Troy 

Thank you Troy! I grew up in Hawaii (Kaiser High School Class of 83) so going back to Hawaii means lots of different things to me.  No fishing this time.  I brought no hobby-related equipment with me besides my camera so that I could spend more time with the family. 

On 3/22/2021 at 8:54 PM, chuck540z3 said:

That Prop John, is pure modeling sweetness!  I just love the complexity of it, to go with your equally complex paint job.  I should maybe follow these Axis builds a bit more to learn a few more tricks, even though I'm not really into them.

Enjoy Hawaii!

Chuck

Thanks Chuck!  I really appreciate the input!  Spending time in Hawaii was great!

On 3/23/2021 at 7:04 AM, scvrobeson said:

Propellor looks excellent.  Your paint and weathering always has such a realistic depth to it.

Have a good vacation in Hawaii.

Matt 

Thanks Matt!  That is a word that I think about alot when modeling... depth.  Depth and complexity.  I try to impart an impression of depth and complexity in my builds, even on smaller sub-assemblies such as props, landing gear, wheel wells, etc.

On 3/23/2021 at 1:10 PM, monthebiff said:

Wow John, just catching up on progress and that color scheme looks so good, as ever your layers of colour add so much interest. 

Enjoy your trip to Hawaii with plenty of fishing as well!

Regards. Andy 

Thanks so much Andy!

On 3/23/2021 at 1:23 PM, Kagemusha said:

Wow, just, wow!

Enjoy your holiday.

Thanks Kagemusha!

On 3/23/2021 at 2:11 PM, Grunticus said:

John, such a fantastic job on this one! If you have time, can you elaborate on how you did the wingroot hairspray chipping? I find it to be most realistic looking! Your builds are truly inspiring.

I have a hard time achieving consistent results with the hairspray method and this time was no exception.  The wing roots were sprayed with Tamiya AS-12 Silver decanted into my airbrush and thinned with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner.  Over this I put several coats of hairspray (Garnier Fructis Full Control in a green aerosol can).  I was pretty generous with the hairspray application as the wing root would be impacted by multiple layers of paint (pre-shade black, RLM 74 or 75, and the fuselage RLM 76).  After the fuselage and wing colors were sprayed on, I started attacking the wing roots with water and a trimmed stipple brush.  For some unknown reason, the starboard side gave way to the water/brush treatment MUCH easier than the port side, which was the opposite of what I wanted since I'm assuming that the port side, with the boarding ladder, would experience more wear.  So I stopped very early on the starboard side and worked overtime on the port side.  The port side required some manual removal of the paint using a tip of a toothpick.  And so the chipping patterns look very different.  I'm not too worried it about since chipping wear on Yellow 10 did not seem to be a major issue.

On 3/23/2021 at 11:37 PM, Gazzas said:

Truly inspirational work, John!

Thanks for checking in Gaz!

On 3/30/2021 at 6:00 PM, Beaconroot said:

Looking forward to your return John. Your work is truly inspirational.

Jim Root

Thanks Jim!  I have returned from my Hawaii trip relaxed and rested.  I usually experience a loss of motivation when I pause from my builds and I've not yet worked up the mojo to start again on Yellow 10.  I put her in the light box today just to get sense of where I left off.  She's nice and clean with the exception of some post-shading work that I started on the bottom.

IMG-2022.jpg

IMG-2023.jpg

IMG-2024.jpg

IMG-2026.jpg

IMG-2027.jpg

IMG-2029.jpg

When the build resumes, I will start on the field-applied mottle of RLM 82 and 83.  Hopefully SOON!

Thanks guys!  Hawaii was great but it is nice to be home!

1 hour ago, Michael931080 said:

Looks amazing!  Just one question for you, how do you keep the paint off of your jig?:hmmm:

Hardly any paint on the jig because I rarely spray with the model on the jig.  I prefer to hold the model with left hand while spraying with the right.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while hasn't it!  Fishing season kicked off for me with a mid-week hooky session at my favorite lake.  So much fun!  I ended up with 61 largemouth bass topped by a 5.75 pound kicker...
IMG-2032.jpg

With the fishing stuff at the forefront, the modeling stuff kept percolating in the back of my mind.  I finally pushed myself to sit at the model bench and get started on some spraying.  The D-13 is sitting in a post-factory state and the task before me now is to put on the field-applied mottle of dark greens, which I've chosen to be RLM 82 and 83.  I thought a good way to re-introduce myself back into the game was to try my hand at applying these greens onto the horizontal stabilizers, which are still removable.

Here are the stabilizers, with a base coat of RLM 74 and 75.
IMG-2038.jpg

Using the color profiles found in Crandall's Dora Volume 2 as a rough guide, I sprayed some random patches of the lighter RLM 82 (Mr Hobby Aqueous).
IMG-2039.jpg

After that, the darker RLM 83 green was sprayed on.  I gave the stabs a light coat of clear gloss (Alclad Aqua Gloss) to even out the paint job for the photos.
IMG-2040.jpg

Not much but it is a start, right?  I'm going to use the leftover masks to cover the markings that I've already sprayed to protect them from inadvertent overspray.  I think I'll be tackling the wings next since the painting should be very similar to the stabilizers.
IMG-2041.jpg