1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

Thanks so much for the comment guys!  I really appreciate the input and encouragement!

The last two days have been spent applying decals.  Since the green mottle covered much of the stenciling, there wasn't a great number of decals to put on.  But since I could not get the Portrait cutter to replicate the very fine black outlines on some of the markings, notably the big yellow "10", decals were used.  I spent the majority of these two days patiently trying to get the yellow 10's to conform to the rivets and panel lines.  First Microsol and then Solvaset was used and I still couldn't get them to sit down, so I resorted to a knife.

IMG-2073.jpg

IMG-2077.jpg

IMG-2072.jpg

The panel lines within the yellow areas are a bit ragged and I'm trying to clean those up as much as possible.  I don't think they'll be an issue after the panel wash but I'm taking the extra time now as decal solvent won't work after a clear coat is applied.
IMG-2074.jpg

IMG-2076.jpg

A view of the bottom, which is patiently waiting for the next stage in the build which will be the panel wash.
IMG-2071.jpg

On 4/20/2021 at 11:04 PM, MikeMaben said:

Nice job on a unique scheme John  :speak_cool::popcorn:

Thanks Mike! As a Dora Nut, this is one of those schemes that I felt I HAD to do.

On 4/21/2021 at 12:33 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

Looking great, John!

Kev

Thanks Kevin!  I appreciate it!

On 4/21/2021 at 6:46 AM, Troy Molitor said:

I certainly agree with the rest.  The yellow "10" came out great.   A really colorful bird.   Thanks for sharing this with us.  :popcorn:

Thanks Troy!  The pleasure is mine!

On 4/21/2021 at 1:55 PM, Kagemusha said:

Erm... wow!! 

Thanks!

On 4/21/2021 at 9:27 PM, mywifehatesmodels said:

Masterful paint work, as usual, John. I feel your pain on the decals, but they look fine from here.:thumbsup:

John

Thank you John!  Since they were side by side, the contrast between the decals and painted markings needed to be reduced so I did some extra work to get the surface details to show up through the decals.

On 4/21/2021 at 11:43 PM, JT68 said:

Bloody outstanding John!

That looks really impressive now.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff!  Still lots of work to do but the build has certainly crossed over the hump and it should be relatively simple from this point on.

On 4/22/2021 at 12:34 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh my word John!!!  That's seriously off the charts, you puled off that tricky paint job perfectly, I am actually lost for words.....

Thanks Anthony!  Hopefully, I'll get re-started on the Tempest as well. Or.... I may just start something completely new.

On 4/22/2021 at 8:50 PM, Dpgsbody55 said:

:wow:  Great work.   :bow:

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you Michael!

After the decal work was completed the decaled areas were sprayed with a coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss.  The next step is to apply a wash over the model.  I made three batches of liquid wash from pastel chalks... a very dark brown/black for the upper surfaces, a lighter brown for the lower surfaces and a light grey to highlight the rivet areas within the black markings.
IMG-2078.jpg

The wash is spread over the model and then allowed to fully dry.  Once dry, I used moistened static-free wipes to wipe off the wash, leaving a residue of contrasting dark (or light) wash in all of the recessed areas.
IMG-2085.jpg

IMG-2086.jpg

IMG-2087.jpg

IMG-2088.jpg

IMG-2093.jpg

A closer look at the effects of the panel wash...

IMG-2089.jpg

IMG-2090.jpg

IMG-2091.jpg

IMG-2092.jpg

IMG-2094.jpg

IMG-2095.jpg

IMG-2098.jpg

IMG-2099.jpg

It pays to hold off sealing the wash with a clear coat UNTIL you've carefully inspected every inch of the model.  It's ok to leave some subtle streaking of the wash on the model as long as it is consistently in the direction of the airflow but unwiped blobs of dark wash should be removed.