1/32 Revell Bf109G-6/AS Hohenjager

Thunnus

This looks fantastic with some superior paintwork!  Just one question though...is the seam in the vertical stabilizer where you choose between old or tall tails supposed to still be visible?

Dave

ETA...my bad...looks like it is supposed to be there!  Should've done a little research prior to opening my mouth!

Edited by mbrman
Add info

Thanks so much for the comments guys!

On 4/8/2020 at 9:40 PM, airedale said:

John - I continue to be in awe at the quality of your work along with how well it is presented. Truly inspiring. May I ask what you use to thin your Testors acrylic flat varnish and ratio? I have been fumbling with various flat coat formulas(Tamiya xf-86/Vallejo/Alclad) and would like to try out the Testors. It's such a critical stage at the end of a build to have the varnish go badly. Thank you!

Mike J.

Fumbling is a good word and also describes what I've gone through.  I've used a bunch of clear flats including Tamiya, Tamiya gloss + flat base, Alclad, Testors Dullcote with varying degrees of success/failure.  Wanted something that would produce consistent and repeatable results.  Landed on the Testors Acrylic and it has done a good job so far.  I've been thinning it with 90% iso alcohol at about 1:1 ratio.  I thin most of my acrylic paints (Tamiya, Gunze and AK Real Colors) with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner/Mr Leveling Thinner but Testors Acrylic Flat doesn''t seem to like that combo.

On 4/8/2020 at 10:49 PM, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

Great looking Me-109!!!!     So you like to fish?  What for? Tuna / Calico Bass or Lingcod?  Do you have your on boat?   They closed the lunch ramps here up north.:wub:

Nothing right now as they've shut the ramps, the landings, the lakes and the beaches.  :BANGHEAD2: But in normal times, I like to fish for a variety of stuff.  From the beach... around the bays and lagoons.  Don't have my own boat but have a friend who is a member of a boat club and sometimes go private boating with him.  I like to go offshore a few times each year.  And bass fishing on Barrett Lake in the summer!

IMG-5906.jpg

IMG-0756.jpg

IMG-0761.jpg

15 hours ago, mbrman said:

This looks fantastic with some superior paintwork!  Just one question though...is the seam in the vertical stabilizer where you choose between old or tall tails supposed to still be visible?

Dave

ETA...my bad...looks like it is supposed to be there!  Should've done a little research prior to opening my mouth!

I like how questions self-resolve!   

Edited by Thunnus

Thanks guys!

I've done a little post-shading on the bottom...
IMG-7386.jpg
IMG-7387.jpg

Some post-shading on the top too with a round of salt fading that didn't quite register into the noticeable realm.  I may have to give it another shot.
IMG-7388.jpg
IMG-7390.jpg
IMG-7391.jpg
IMG-7393.jpg

Salt fading on the control surfaces showed up a little better.
IMG-7385.jpg

The tail wheel strut doesn't come with the fabric boot that was common on many G-6's.  So I decided to sculpt a simple boot using Milliput.
IMG-7399.jpg
IMG-7400.jpg

I've finished painting the wheels...
IMG-7403.jpg

The landing gear legs from Synthey Ordnance Works have been glued into place.
IMG-7405.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Thanks guys!  I think I'm approaching the finish line for the Hohenjager.  With the SAC landing gear legs firmly glued into place, I've attached the Barracuda wheels using JB Kwik Weld to make sure the flat spots connect with the ground.
IMG-7411.jpg

All of these bits need to be attached now.
IMG-7412.jpg

The AMUR Reaver supercharger, the Barracuda exhausts and the brass sheet exhaust deflectors are glued into place.
IMG-7417.jpg

The lower inner flaps are put on first and the other control surfaces follow.  The middle elevators are still poseable per Revell's instructions but the rest of the control surfaces have been glued.
IMG-7419.jpg
IMG-7421.jpg
IMG-7423.jpg
IMG-7424.jpg

Let's stick the Barracuda prop assembly on and she how she looks.
IMG-7426.jpg
IMG-7428.jpg

All of the spray work is done so I can finally take off the canopy masks. Always a nerve-racking reveal at this stage.
IMG-7419.jpg
IMG-7430.jpg
IMG-7431.jpg
IMG-7432.jpg

The sculpted boot on the tail wheel is painted.
IMG-7433.jpg

The drop tank has not yet been attached.  I'm still deciding whether or not to add some more stains to it.
IMG-7434.jpg

You know you're close to the finish when you see the antenna mast and loop antenna attached.
IMG-7435.jpg
IMG-7436.jpg
IMG-7437.jpg

The only things remaining are the small antenna on the bottom of the fuselage, the aileron balancers and the antenna aerial.