Ki-45 Toryu - Kai-Ko - 53rd Sentai, Matsudo AB, 1944 - DONE!

Out2gtcha

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

This is again guys! I've been assembling a new hard top lift for my Jeep so have not been working on the Toryu for a couple days (also being on call for work), but intend to get back to it today. I will also see about getting some pics up too.

Hey Neo,

Thanks for checking in and the kind words.

The oblique firing canon in the Toryu were intended to shoot down enemy bombers from their more vulnerable underside.

Depending on the target, the Toryu could sneak up from under and behind the target with less chance for detection, and shoot the bomber down.

Humm interesting

Thanks for the info

Thanks Thor! 

As promised a couple pics. The fit on the very complex fuselage panel arrangement is really stellar. I must have aligned things well, because all the internal parts and extra separate fuse panels practically fell into place. 

Got the starboard fuselage side all glued up, and all the internal bits glued in on that side, including control linkages, vertical tail spine, and the tail wheel and its mechanism. In this case, I actually completed the tail wheel, painted it, then broke it all apart again and put some right rudder into the tail wheel to add some interest, and to match the right rudder in the rudder pedals I had previously installed. 

All the goodies in the starboard fuselage half, ready to be joined w/the port side:

20200716_124054-X3.jpg

20200716_124108-X3.jpg

20200716_124115-X3.jpg

For all the complexities of the interior parts, and the multiple fuse sections I really thought Id struggle to get it all buttoned up. Not the case at all, everything fit and fit well, just as advertised:

20200716_124122-X3.jpg

20200716_124124-X3.jpg

Then the port side was glued in, and the fit was again stellar. Preparation makes perfection! I dry fit, about (what felt like) 50 times, before actually gluing any parts in the starboard side, and that led to a great fit on the port:

20200716_172816-X3.jpg

20200716_172826-X3.jpg

20200716_172834-X3.jpg

I actually have added the top spine fuselage section, as well as the belly section around the canon as well, but no pics of that yet, as things are still hardening off. Fit on those two pieces was nearly as stellar as the two main halves! 

After breaking the tail wheel gear into two sections, I drilled both halves of tail wheel gear out, and inserted some hardened steel piano wire, twisting the gear to the right before gluing it all back up.

This promptly broke off the OOB brake line hose, (which was hard plastic) which then got replaced with a brass fitting (EBay watch parts from the stash) and some flexible rubber hosing I got from a Japanese model car site. The hose turned out to be much more flexible and easier to work with, so I drilled out the internal tail wheel well bulkhead to accept the end of the tail brake hose, per my reference pictures:

20200716_172916-X3.jpg

20200716_172911-X3.jpg

The holes look a bit wonky from this angle, but they really look better in person, and will nearly be invisible once the rest of the empennage gets put on. 

Thats all for now boys, Im on call for work atm, so hopefully will get back to the bench in the next couple days. 

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

Ive been in overlanding/isolation mode with the wife since the beginning of the year, and while I suspect that a majority of the populous was also isolating, we were isolating in the middles of nowhere when not isolating at home. 

That normally takes load of planning, updates and prep to the new trailer. Now that the trailer is mostly upgraded, and the main camping season is coming to an end for us, Im getting called back to the bench.

My paint booth overhead light has been burned out since way WAY before I started my what-if Do-335, as well as having the ballast give out on one of the 3 sets of 4 bulb overhead light fixtures in my modeling room, so I spent this past weekend replacing the ballast on both my paint booth light fixture, as well as the 4 bulb overhead fixture.

The paint booth 2 bulb ballast was not made anymore, so the new ballast I installed was much simpler with less wires, so it all had to be re-wired. In the end, I got both fixed, and now have a nice fully lit workshop!

I decided then and there to go full out, and clean my two benches thoroughly, as well as give the floor a good sweeping. After all that I was ready to dive back into the Ki-45!

I got some of the seams smoothed out from gluing all the fuselage panels on in the last round of pics, and got to assembling the mount for the two forward firing machine guns. In this case, I will be having none of the panels open, so none of the machine gun ammo case nor any wiring will be seen in the end, so I did not bother painting any of this for fit sake. 

It turns out the fit of this assembled part including the nose cone I previously assembled was excellent.  The fuselage as was left last round, with IP exposed. 

20200914_152337-XL.jpg

The assembled machine gun/nose cone mount and nose cone:

20200914_152344-XL.jpg

The unpainted mount slips right into place with 0 finger pressure, and the nose cone fits about as perfectly over that as one could ever hope for. This assembly, also has a little fork at the back of it that locks the IP into place as well:

20200914_152402-XL.jpg

20200914_152417-XL.jpg

Once I got the machine gun mount glued in, I put some Tamiya tape around the IP area to make sure it dried in the proper shape. Once that was a fixed I moved onto the next phase, which is the wheel wells.

It was pretty late when I finally got all the lights working and entire workshop cleaned, so not as much progress as Id hoped, but did get a start on assembling the basics of the landing gear bays, as well as trimming the lower wing panels from their sprues and cleaning them up for a bit of a dry fit. (which btw also fit stellar!).

The landing gear bay wall sections, rear section and wing panels really do fit amazingly well. So well in fact, I was amazed to find the tiny little slot they provided for the rear engine bay bulkhead to slid into for wing assembly held the entire assembly together with 0 glue.

Really well thought out ZM!:

20200914_185107-XL.jpg

20200914_185152-XL.jpg

20200914_185200-XL.jpg

All for now gents, but hope to be back at my nice clean and now well lit bench tonight working on the Ki-45.  I'm back and feeling it at the bench, and want to get the MoJo flowing with the Ki-45 so I can finish it. Then Im hoping to move onto bluer fields............................

F7F-3P_Tigercat.jpg

Till next time all!