Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair - Done!

Brett M

5 hours ago, USMC Herc said:

She is a beauty Brett. 

I have not used the pastel method you have used above. After it drys how do you remove?

Cheers 

Jason

Hey Jason, thanks! I just use a damp paper towel chunk and wipe off what I can till the paper is dirty. I've also been using bits of an old T shirt to "polish" the wash off. Seems to work okay and doesn't displace as much wash from the panels/rivets.

Edited by Brett M

On 2/28/2020 at 1:06 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Yep, same as I have heard.

Per director of WorldHistory.net:

Among the many problems that turned up in operational F4U-1 Corsairs was a leaky fuel tank, which was located between the pilot and the engine for the most favorable center of gravity. Corsair pilots I spoke to said that a virtually universal practice to keep the windshield clean was to seal the fuselage panels with strips of white tape. The oil on the cowling flaps also leaked, spattering the windshield and also affecting visibility, hence the upper cowling gills were fixed shut and they were eliminated entirely on later models.

Thanks for answering that one.  It's puzzled me ever since I built the Revell kit back in the early 70's :lol:.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks all. Hopefully it stays together and I don't mess up the end of the build. I don't consider weathering a strong point of mine.

Wash is done, with some possible touch up here and there (thanks big photos). Overall, I think it's coming together well. I'll do some chipping (aluminum on a sponge) and then probably seal it with a flat/semi flat coat before salt weathering commences. More to come......darn 5 days a week working slows me down!

Lighting isn't great today with the snow and overcast....so sorry if these look weird. 

49607293082_a6bee2cf5a_b.jpg 

49606531848_6ea301c5b4_b.jpg

49606531898_746d08ae83_b.jpg

49607042316_0236b121c6_b.jpg

49607042296_9e1a033fa7_b.jpg 

Edited by Brett M

28 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

What beautiful work, Brett! Really like what you did with different tones of the blue. Are you going to fade the Insignia blue as well?

Can't wait for more.

D.B.

Thanks D.B.! Yep, I plan on toning the insignia down with salt weathering.....perhaps coupled with the airbrush and lighter blues? Hmmmm

On 3/1/2020 at 9:40 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Wow, now *that* is stunning!  Your weathering is absolutely perfect!  Great work.  Can’t wait to see her finished.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:02 PM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Damn that’s good stuff-

cheers

Pete

On 3/3/2020 at 12:41 AM, Greif8 said:

Master class weathering Brett - the rest of the build is outstanding as well of course!

On 3/3/2020 at 2:40 AM, Subodai said:

Beautiful work, really love the weathering used. It looks so tactile!

6 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Absolutely beautiful indeed! Makes me want a Corsair as well and I am definitely not a prop guy...

5 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

That is one nice piece of work.

Sincerely,

Mark

4 hours ago, Dutch Man said:

As the above comments, love the shades of blue(s).

Kind regards,

Robert Jan  

40 minutes ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi Brett,

I just discovered your build this morning - truly beautiful work.  One of these days I've got to build a model...

Cheers,

Dana

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear that you're liking the work so far. Definitely feel free to point out mistakes or suggestions for improvements, I'm not afraid! 

Side note, looking at wheels on the blue grey/grey Corsairs, it looks like they were most likely painted with the lower light grey color. That seems to be what everyone has done on models as well. Dana....you're the expert, if you read this....light grey? 

Second side note, if anyone has an opinion.....Tamiya Clear Flat. Didn't seem to do much to flatten the sheen when I sprayed it yesterday. I gave it a nice wet coat, but.....meh. Any recommendations for a final flat (after salt weathering of course)?

See this post too.....help out the fellow LSP'r!