My absence of late... Final update for now on this topic...

nichenson

Thank you everyone.  We go back to Memphis tomorrow to start the induction on Monday.  We are all hoping that at the end of May/beginning of June when she gets her scans at the end of this group, that all will be clear. 

Pretty much since this has begun I have stayed right by her side other than doing a few small things for my health, errands, and housework.  My wife works full time and luckily makes enough for everything to be covered.  I will be happy though when we aren't in a hospital so much.  I think a lot of hospitals have no clue how much of a toll it takes on parents with sick kids.  My daughter just seems to go with the flow and play.  It really doesn't matter where she is.  Everyone loves her and she gets visits from all the nurses.  Through all this she has had maybe four or five really bad days.  Most times when she throws up, she just laughs at the mess she makes and then wants to eat more.  Anyway, St Jude's has been the best go.  Stays there are not that hard on us compared to the children's hospital in Charlotte.  This hobby has always been my stress relief.  Hadn't been able to get much going prior to a couple of weeks ago.  I started working on a Takom Chieftain as I love that Berlin camo.  Felt so good.  Next up is a WnW kit.  Not sure which though. 

• nichenson changed the title to My absence of late... Final update for now on this topic...

I have had a few inquiries about how things were going.  I actually do have some news to report.  As some of you may have noticed, I have been active again.  I actually have had some bench time.  Not much, but more than I have had in a year and a half.  The reason being is that our daughter finished her chemo.  The last two cycles were not bad at all and somewhat typical of what others experience.  Those drugs were a lot less intense on her body.  The eight cycles before were hell for all of us.  Over the course of a year we spent about 116 days of it in the hospital.  She would have had a lot more had we not been in Memphis at St Jude for cycles seven and eight.  They will actually allow you to stay in housing instead of inpatient if you are stable enough.  It's just across the parking lot.

Anyway, she had an MRI on September 24th.  There was only one spot showing and it did not take up any contrast.  That pretty much translates to either scar or dying tissue.  She was given a release from active treatment.  Now we have many months of therapy to help her as we have fallen behind on several things kids her age should be doing right now.  I am lucky enough to were we can afford for me to stay at home with her so it looks like she gets a stay at home dad and maybe now we can get back to life.  She does go back in January for an MRI and every so often to make sure it hasn't returned.  Every day is a little miracle.  It amazes me what they can do and treat even with decades old medicines.