1/18 Scale Blue Box F4U-1A Corsair Modification

JayW

Sierra Hotel, indeed!

Holy mackerel, I can hardly believe it, you're finished...what a ride it's been!

Absolutely GLORIOUS, Jay, easily the greatest F4U replica I've ever seen. I'm sure Lt. Commander Hedrick would be proud.

Time for that wee dram of single malt, buddy, CONGRATS!

T15uXxE.jpg

Edited by TAG

I go away for two weeks and then this happens!!!!! Jay that is truely spectacular!!!! As you know, nailing "the look" is my primary goal of my current project and you have well and truely nailed "the look" of the Corsair..... 

I doubt there is a more accurate representation out there :)

Well done Sir, you must be absolutely chuffed.

Craig

What a journey! you can be exceptionally proud not only of this build Jay, but what you brought to the forum over the years it took

seminal moments like i remember you not only making a twin row radial literally cylinder fin by cylinder fin, but also your first tentative steps into skinning and 3D and overcoming your fear that it was 'cheating'

Not only have you become a better modeller, but we have all become better watching you :)

Thank you & bravo

Peter

On 8/3/2023 at 6:27 AM, TAG said:

I'm sure Lt. Commander Hedrick would be proud.

Ha Thomaz - You have been here from the start; we've grown old together.  Hedrick would say "I never had that antenna mast!".  Or, "nice tires - too bad mine didn't look that nice".  Or "You do know I had that belly window; why did you cover it?"  Better - he would say "Bravo on the cowl flap field mod!".  Seriously - it was pretty involved trying to make sure this thing got the right stuff.  I did not always succeed.  Thanks so much for your very considerable help on this Corsair.

On 8/3/2023 at 7:00 AM, SwissFighters said:

I really appreciate the effort taken to share your work with us, Jay. Thank you.

Well I appreciate from the bottom of my heart how so many of you stuck with this build literally for years, and helped keep me motivated.  

On 8/4/2023 at 3:51 PM, brahman104 said:

As you know, nailing "the look" is my primary goal of my current project and you have well and truely nailed "the look" of the Corsair..... 

Craig - you are meeting your goal with the Fort, that's for sure.  "Nailing the look" is no guarantee when one chooses to modify a toy as opposed to a more accurate scale model, or starting from scratch.  Some things you just can't fix, doing it that way.  Kudos to Blue Box for manufacturing a toy that had the potential to do such a thing convincingly.  Two things that helped nail the look on this effort.  3D printing the nose cowl to a shape closely approximating the real thing in place of what the toy provided (however modified), and making parts when possible per the engineering drawings that define them (my subscription to Aircorps Library is literally priceless).  You don't even have to worry about nailing the look when making something like the drawing - by definition it will happen.  Thanks - a true complement.

On 8/4/2023 at 6:03 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

I think I have this post partum thing going on.

I know I will, but not yet.  I have to take a good long breath.  This thing has been a big feature of my life for 4.5 years.  As a fairly busy fellow anyway, my typical day over that time period became that much more busy trying to wedge in bench time.  I have a sense of calm right now.  But the next project is gonna come soon enough.  I hope it will interest many on LSP.

On 8/4/2023 at 6:51 PM, Jim Barry said:

I didn’t know you were so close! 

Hey Jim - I didn't either!!  It surprised me.  That's happened more than once on this build.  I am not very good at estimating the time or the intensity of an effort.  Some things are much more involved than anticipated, and some less.  Like the antenna wire - I was dreading it, and it was a snap.  Bonding on those big wings - about 15 - 20 minutes each.  Something that practically gave me sleepless nights.  You have been watching this build for a very long time - sorry to pull the rug out from underneath you!  ;)

8 hours ago, airscale said:

What a journey! you can be exceptionally proud not only of this build Jay, but what you brought to the forum over the years it took

seminal moments like i remember you not only making a twin row radial literally cylinder fin by cylinder fin, but also your first tentative steps into skinning and 3D and overcoming your fear that it was 'cheating'

Not only have you become a better modeller, but we have all become better watching you :)

Thank you & bravo

Peter

Peter - the kindest of words.  I got great help from a number of folks here on LSP.  But none more than you.  Boy do I appreciate your kindness and patience.  You sent me a PE instrument panel for free, years ago, even designing it to my drawing.  You sent me a lifetime supply of litho alum sheet, refusing compensation.  And then proceeded to teach me how to do it from the ground up!  The custom decal production, and I have probably forgotten other things.  You are the one who convinced me to take up Rhino modeling - maybe the biggest contribution.  And you also were the last little impetus that got me to purchase my Saturn 2 3D printer.  You all are going to see alot more come out of that thing, and it appears to have had quite an impact on your own business.   And like many others, you provided cheerleading at every turn - helping me stay on task when I just wanted to give up on it.

Many thanks my friend.

7 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Almost a shame to see such a project finish,

I know!!  Funny about that.  Tell you what though, there are a whole lot of stunning build efforts on this site.  Just amazing.  And stay tuned for my next effort starting up before long. 

I would like to give a huge shout-out to Tim Perry - who made so many 3D print parts for me.  This model would not have "the look" as Craig says without those expertly produced parts. 

LSP is so great because of the help we receive from others.  It makes everybody better.   I thank every one of my followers!        

Edited by JayW

Sir, as far as scale modeling I find it hard to get the adequate words to congratulate you on your achievement.  I’ll simply say thank you for schooling all of us on the severe limitations of what can be done with the right tools and artistic skills.    You performed in reality what my mind had done with the 1/18 Corsair that I had.  I would have done a fraction of what you did and called it a day.

Jay, been following this thread and your outstanding build for years now. So much wealth of knowledge and technique you've shared! Thank you!! I wish there were a way we could download this thread and save it off to make a document of this build. If anyone knows how to do that easily, let me know! Again, congratulations on an outstanding build and THANK YOU for sharing it with us!