Favourite airbrush/compressor?

Pup7309

There are a million airbrushes and everyone here will probably recommend something different to you.

A couple observations I have made that you might find useful:

Some of the good Iwata airbrushes have an air pressure bleed valve built into the airbrush itself; this is a huge benefit relative to an airbrush without such a feature, IMO, and I adore my Hi line HP-CH with the bleed valve.  The control you can get over the air/paint mixture is unbelievable for detailed work. 

Some airbrushes have adjustable trigger stops that mean you can pull the trigger back as hard as you want but the paint flow will only open so much, as it is hitting an adjustable stop.  This greatly reduces finger fatigue on longer paint jobs and is a great feature to have relative to an airbrush without such a feature.

Lastly, I think I would rather have 2 cheap airbrushes with widely differing needle/tip sizes than 1 expensive airbrush with only 1 tip/needle size.

Depending upon what you are doing, it is extremely helpful to have 1 airbrush for fine/detail work and 1 for blasting clear coats, big primer coats, color coats on large expanses, or nice gloss coats if you do thinks like make model cars or motorcycles from time to time.

Iwata makes great airbrushes, Harder & Steenbeck are great, but there are many out there that will probably work just fine for you.

I don't have a "gun" type brush, but I'm sure that would be an interesting option as well, depending on what you are trying to do with your airbrush.  I know some modelers here swear by them.

6 hours ago, ringleheim said:

There are a million airbrushes and everyone here will probably recommend something different to you.

A couple observations I have made that you might find useful:

Some of the good Iwata airbrushes have an air pressure bleed valve built into the airbrush itself; this is a huge benefit relative to an airbrush without such a feature, IMO, and I adore my Hi line HP-CH with the bleed valve.  The control you can get over the air/paint mixture is unbelievable for detailed work. 

Some airbrushes have adjustable trigger stops that mean you can pull the trigger back as hard as you want but the paint flow will only open so much, as it is hitting an adjustable stop.  This greatly reduces finger fatigue on longer paint jobs and is a great feature to have relative to an airbrush without such a feature.

Lastly, I think I would rather have 2 cheap airbrushes with widely differing needle/tip sizes than 1 expensive airbrush with only 1 tip/needle size.

Depending upon what you are doing, it is extremely helpful to have 1 airbrush for fine/detail work and 1 for blasting clear coats, big primer coats, color coats on large expanses, or nice gloss coats if you do thinks like make model cars or motorcycles from time to time.

Iwata makes great airbrushes, Harder & Steenbeck are great, but there are many out there that will probably work just fine for you.

I don't have a "gun" type brush, but I'm sure that would be an interesting option as well, depending on what you are trying to do with your airbrush.  I know some modelers here swear by them.

Thanks that is such good advice! Will follow your suggestions thanks again :D

Iwata HP-CH here too - love it - have a few others too, but that's my fave.

Had my Iwata a long tome now - 10+ years - and I've not yet had to replace anything - and it gets a *lot* of use!

That said I can also get some good results with a cheap Chinese dual action airbrush I bought last year - but it's not as easy to clean!  :)

Compressors - get the best you can afford - and only get one with an air tank.

I run a Jun-Air - incredibly quiet and will easily outlast me! These are hugely expensive new - but second-hand ones that have been looked after can be an absolute bargain.

Iain

i use the same Badger 150 since the eighties (of the last century). changed the needle and tip once...

i have one of the real cheapo ebay airbrushes too and it works pretty well for 15$

i use the 150 psi compressor from the garage that powers my paintgun and airtools

I use Sparmax for my compressor and airbrush. I am no expert and use the airbrush to basically splatter paint onto my models. If I get more skilled/consistent, I may invest in a more expensive airbrush, but I don't see the point at this time.

Definately Iwata HP-CH, it's a cracking all round airbrush, compressor wise I have a Werther  Sil Air 30D which has a nice big air tank and runs super quite. Which ever compressor you go for make sure it has an air tank on it.

Regards.Andy 

6 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Go CO2 and you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it ages ago 

I've used 20lb CO2 tanks for years and years now, and will never buy another compressor,... not a hobby related one anyway. As to airbrushes, I use whatever I have that works best for what I'm trying to accomplish with it.

Sure, that's likely the best place Tim.

Hey Pup, how much you wanna spend ?

I mostly use an Iwata HP-CH (.3mm) for close and a Procon Boy (.5mm)

for large stuff. I also have a Paasche VL and a HP-CH knockoff that I

haven't needed to use much. (how many airbrushes does one need ?) :whistle:

Compressors can depend on your environment. Are you airbrushing in a

house ?, apartment ?, upstairs/downstairs ?, wife/kids ?

I had a 20lb tank once but it was murder moving that thing in and out

of the house.  I know, shoulda got a smaller one :rolleyes:

Anyway, shop around and have fun.