WNW Albatros DV 'Richthofen'

aircare84

On 7/24/2018 at 9:23 AM, LSP_Mike said:

An interesting read, lads. The citing of sources and proofs makes for great reading, and learning.

By definition, war IS murder. my reading indicates that many pilots would seek an opponent that was perceived as unsure, or unsteady in flight; that would be the easier victim.

Hartmann did the same in WWII, and purposely put new pilots in his famous "Black Tulip" because he knew enemy pilots would avoid his plane, which in turn would help get new pilots through their first couple of missions.

Pheon is re-releasing their DR-I sheet? Great news.

Indeed he did. I had the great luck and honor of meeting him at his home in the late 80's. He talked about this with great pride, keeping those young, green pilots alive for their first few missions was one of his happiest memories as well as the humor of the tricks they pulled on the Russians.

Edited by spacewolf

This news of Pheon making a bunch of DR.I decals is going to push me over the edge.  I'm getting the Roden kit and making the most of it.  I just don't get the vibe that WNW is going to make one, at least any time soon.

If they do make one down the road, I'll get that too.

I just love the DR.I too much not to have a crack at the Roden kit.

The Part set is typical of their PE work. They have lots of interesting details, but may would be better served by alternative means. The leather seat cushion would look better in resin, but who sells one? The Taurus magneto would be better than a sandwich of lots of PE layers, but the Part shapes look right. WNW molded theirs in plastic, included a decal, but not the handle as well as Taurus.The PE wood grain would work better with a decal or painting techniques. The details that are metal are well suited to PE, but don't have the depth to compare with printed or molded bolts and nuts. Either way, there is a lot of extra detail in that Part set, and most of their PE, like Eduard's have more parts than the base kit.

The hardest thing for me to do is to admit that my eyes are not young anymore, stop being paralyzed by details that 1/32 scale just cannot capture and just finish something. Too many kits on the shelf, too many started and not finished, and I can only divide my age by 10 for so long and think I am invincible until the reality of the situation catches up with me. The Roden DR.I looks good, and with a bit of other things looks really good.

Tnarg

I've got the PART set.

It's one of their smaller sets, but still contains a fair amount.

More basic than Eduard, with lots of parts made up from flat sections. However, they do look good if you put the effort in.

Still, useful for the Roden kit, less so for the Encore kit, which already has some nice PE.

Part_S32028a.jpg

Part_S32028b.jpg

Part_S32028c.jpg

Part_S32028d.jpg

I used an AM set for my own Roden Dr.I, but don't recall from who, though it was perhaps the Part set. Either way, lots of cool stuff included, but not necessarily complete. I thought it still turned out nice though, so will probably (eventually) buy another.

I like and have both Part and Eduard, but the Dr1 is pritty small, so just how much detail do I need inside the cockpit? Another thing, the engine. I know there’s a photo of Voss inspecting a LeRhone for his F-1. You can buy one, but how many of you can look at the few exposed cylinders and exclaim that is or that isn’t a LeRhone? What I like is a nice prop and guns. As far as turnbuckles, I’m still up in the air with those. Planes look good with or without them. The problem lies which ones to put where, whereas a dab of silver paint serves nicely. I love all the new decals, including Fokker stripes that are out there. I believe it’s Aviattic offering a Fokker seat cushion, but don’t quote me on that. Happy building.

Edited by Fred Jack

4 hours ago, Fred Jack said:

You can buy one, but how many of you can look at the few exposed cylinders and exclaim that is or that isn’t a LeRhone?  

the only way I can tell a Le Rhone from an Oberursel  is the crankcase.   The Oberursel has a extra circle of bolts and a plate on the front crankcase vs a Le Rhone

Le Rhone;

Le%20Rhone%20110_zpsiltparwb.jpg

Oberursel;

Oberursel_zpshrfrjgvz.jpg

Cheers, Tony