WNW Albatros DV 'Richthofen'

aircare84

Vince, I appreciate your offer, however, my grandmother would never let me forget that I am Royal. She was very snobbish to my mom for not being Royal, even though my mom was Royalty in her American Indian Tribe. Of course we have both strayed from the topic. It was a nice gesture and I appreciate it. We have a lot of Anglophile here. They are disgusted with the commoner in the wedding. So whether or not it still exists in England today, during both World Wars and Vietnam, it existed. Do you know if any original WW1 Fokker DR1s still exist. I know that one of the Baron’s Dr1s was on display in Berlin, but was destroyed by allied bombing during WW2.  Did you know Pheon is coming out with a brand new DR1 decal sheet?

Edited by Fred Jack

13 minutes ago, Fred Jack said:

Did you know Pheon is coming out with a brand new DR1 decal sheet?

Now that's interesting news, and I'll look forward to seeing what he comes up with. I have at least one sheet (possibly two) of 1:32 Dr.I's from him already.

On 7/14/2018 at 4:58 AM, DeanKB said:

I don't understand those who proclaim themselves huge Fokker Triplane fans, yet refuse to build Rodens or Encores kit, saying only a WNW kit will suffice.

Surely, build the kit that's available now, and build the WNW kit if and when it's released?

Easy for me, there are lots of great models that I want to build.  So for something to get to the point that I will build it, the kit itself must be of a quality that it gets my interest as well.  So many new great models out there that quality effects my decision as well.  

I always say that a true modeler doesn’t just glue pieces together to make an outstanding model. I bought a completed 1/8th Pocher 1932 Alfa Romeo Spider that was well built out of the box. I completely disassembled it and I’m adding some 3 to 4,000 parts including a full engine with hundreds of separate bolts and even cloth wrapped wires, just as in the prototype. Any of the senior modelers will say the same. One of my first models was a P-61 carved out of blocks of soft wood with white windows with black frames that you stuck on the fuselage. No model planes had cockpit details othe than a pilot’s head and shoulders until the 60s.

I thought they had come to the conclusion that it was ground fire that took down Richtofren, not another pilot?  They did a study and found that the fatal bullets could have only come from the ground

Matt 

11 hours ago, Fred Jack said:

I always say that a true modeler doesn’t just glue pieces together to make an outstanding model. I bought a completed 1/8th Pocher 1932 Alfa Romeo Spider that was well built out of the box. I completely disassembled it and I’m adding some 3 to 4,000 parts including a full engine with hundreds of separate bolts and even cloth wrapped wires, just as in the prototype. Any of the senior modelers will say the same. One of my first models was a P-61 carved out of blocks of soft wood with white windows with black frames that you stuck on the fuselage. No model planes had cockpit details othe than a pilot’s head and shoulders until the 60s.

I really like the sentiment above, however the skill set involved is beyond me.  I thought earlier in the year of getting a Pocher kit and looked at what was involved in building these things.  Many builders essently reengineer the car.  I have nothing but respect for someone that has the time and will to do that.

For me though, I see scale modeling a little differently and a sort of exploration of what I like, as well as the technology that goes into manufacturing great models.  A tamiya kit for example is a foundation for a good model normally no matter how basic your skills.  I prefer to start from a higher starting point than some.  I have started working with more difficult media such as white metal, etc.  However the truly advanced work requires tools and equipment that I am not prepared to invest in and learn how to use.  For example if I bought a miniature lathe and machinists tool system, I wold also have to spend a lot of time learning how to use the equipment.  This is just not where I see myself going.  I feel more at home with working on developing finishing skills and assembly skills.  I have found that those are fundamentals skills to scale modeling that I can keep developing and exploring in their own right.

Therefore I don’t plan on purchasing at the moment a Dr.I unless WNW does one.  I could also buy a P-51B, or P-40B today by Revell or Trumpeter, however, I have 4 Tamiya 1/32 planes at home, sever WNW planes, a 1/9 MFH Vincent Black Shadow(on the bench) and others in the stash.  

I first heard of Richthofen from a paperback book on WW1 Airplanes in the late fifties, but didn’t  get my first Dr1 until Renwal released their Aeroskin Series in 1/72. For some unknown reason I had all of the Aurora 1/48 WWl planes except the Camel, Dr1, and SPAD Xlll. But I think it was because they were released when Revell came out with the 1/28th scale. The first was Voss’ Triplane, although it wasn’t an F1, but a Dr1 by mistake, since Voss didn’t fly a Dr1. But I loved the model. Of all the 1/28th releases, I had Voss’ Dr1, Luke’s SPAD, Baker’s Camel, and the French SPA 48 SPAD, I don’t remember why I didn’t get Rickenbacker’s SPAD, or Brown’s Camel, but the reason I didn’t get the Baron’s Dr1 is because it looked too gaudy to me.

An interesting read, lads. The citing of sources and proofs makes for great reading, and learning.

By definition, war IS murder. my reading indicates that many pilots would seek an opponent that was perceived as unsure, or unsteady in flight; that would be the easier victim.

Hartmann did the same in WWII, and purposely put new pilots in his famous "Black Tulip" because he knew enemy pilots would avoid his plane, which in turn would help get new pilots through their first couple of missions.

Pheon is re-releasing their DR-I sheet? Great news.

7 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

An interesting read, lads. The citing of sources and proofs makes for great reading, and learning.

By definition, war IS murder. my reading indicates that many pilots would seek an opponent that was perceived as unsure, or unsteady in flight; that would be the easier victim.

Hartmann did the same in WWII, and purposely put new pilots in his famous "Black Tulip" because he knew enemy pilots would avoid his plane, which in turn would help get new pilots through their first couple of missions.

It is not a rerelease. It is a whole new release. Go to Pheon’s site and read their future releases.

14 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

It is not a rerelease. It is a whole new release. Go to Pheon’s site and read their future releases. To find it google Pheon Decals. On the top left click on the three parallel bars. It will take you to a menu. The second on the menu is News with a right hand arrow on the right border. Hit News. You will see another menu. Below back there is another News. Hit that and now you’re there. Scroll down past the SE5 Night Fighter pictures and you will find “More Fokker Dr.1 News”.

On 7/23/2018 at 9:36 AM, cbk57 said:

I really like the sentiment above, however the skill set involved is beyond me.  I thought earlier in the year of getting a Pocher kit and looked at what was involved in building these things.  Many builders essently reengineer the car.  I have nothing but respect for someone that has the time and will to do that.

For me though, I see scale modeling a little differently and a sort of exploration of what I like, as well as the technology that goes into manufacturing great models.  A tamiya kit for example is a foundation for a good model normally no matter how basic your skills.  I prefer to start from a higher starting point than some.  I have started working with more difficult media such as white metal, etc.  However the truly advanced work requires tools and equipment that I am not prepared to invest in and learn how to use.  For example if I bought a miniature lathe and machinists tool system, I wold also have to spend a lot of time learning how to use the equipment.  This is just not where I see myself going.  I feel more at home with working on developing finishing skills and assembly skills.  I have found that those are fundamentals skills to scale modeling that I can keep developing and exploring in their own right.

Therefore I don’t plan on purchasing at the moment a Dr.I unless WNW does one.  I could also buy a P-51B, or P-40B today by Revell or Trumpeter, however, I have 4 Tamiya 1/32 planes at home, sever WNW planes, a 1/9 MFH Vincent Black Shadow(on the bench) and others in the stash.  

It is not just a matter of patience. It took me about 25 years to get my Pocher Fiat the way I wanted it to look. This including replacing the plastic floor and dash with real oak and bolting it to the car with two millimeter bolts and nuts. I also put in wooden spokes on the wheels etc... to avoid boredom, I have more than one project on the bench at one time. I’m more into building than finishing.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:40 PM, Fred Jack said:

Roy Brown studied the Baron and knew about this aspect that lead to the plan to get the Baron. Rickenbacker ended up facing the Baron and watched the Baron suddenly take off for home. My dad knew Rickenbacker. I didn’t make any of this up.      I do watch YouTube and am astounded by the errors being shown as fact.    

The irony is strong on this one