WNW Albatros DV 'Richthofen'

aircare84

7 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

More Californian than Candadian but that is just my take

We had a lot of Canadians in California when I was there, not only as fellow Engineering college students, but also William Shatner and Alex Trebek, a few of my fellow church members other fellow company employees in So. Cal as well, and unless you listened for certain words like "oot" for "out", etc.,, it could be very hard to pick them out from a crowd.

I have a bunch of Dr.1s, both Roden and Hobbycraft. With available Pheon decals, aftermarket machine guns, Wooden props, interiors, etc..., WnWs could not improve what I already have. As far as the Baron, I am not so keen on him. Most of his kills were green pilots. He liked to fly above the fighting looking for these young pilots and murder them. That ended up being his demise. It was going after a new pilot that got the Baron killed. As far as history shows, the Baron only shot down one Ace. Even though the Baron was flying a superior plane, it was one of the longest dogfights in WW1 history. It ended after the ace had retired from the fight, when the Baron chased and shot down the DH.2. It was the hype of the German Press that made the Baron seem better than he was. This was partially due to the fact that the Baron was Royalty.

1 hour ago, Fred Jack said:

As far as the Baron, I am not so keen on him. Most of his kills were green pilots. He liked to fly above the fighting looking for these young pilots and murder them. That ended up being his demise. It was going after a new pilot that got the Baron killed. As far as history shows, the Baron only shot down one Ace. Even though the Baron was flying a superior plane, it was one of the longest dogfights in WW1 history. It ended after the ace had retired from the fight, when the Baron chased and shot down the DH.2. It was the hype of the German Press that made the Baron seem better than he was. This was partially due to the fact that the Baron was Royalty.

I'm more inclined to think that those pilots that make mistakes or withdraw because they can no longer fight were the ones who suffered most on both sides.  I'm sure that knowing if the other guy was an ace might have been hard to tell until after a bit of heavy maneuvering.

Edited by Gazzas
change text

Even though my first LSP WWl plane was the Revell 1/29 Voss Fokker F-1(actually the kit contained a Dr.1) and I have a lot of Dr.1s and a Voss’ F.1 in 1/32, my favorite fighter is the SPAD Xlll. I have more of those than any other types followed closely by the Nie 17, yet I am perfectly content with my Hobbycraft kits, that as much as I like the planes, I would not probably buy either one if released by WnWs. Mainly what I like are two seaters. WnWs, the only manufacturer of two seaters has barely scratched the surface. There are a lot of fighters never produced. I guess I became tired of seeing mostly Dr.1s, Sopwith Camels, and Nie. 17s being made by everyone and their Uncles. That’s why I found it refreshing to first see Battle Axe and then Roden, of course I went gaga over WnWs. All there was in WW1 for decades in 1/32 was equivalent to Mustangs, Me 109s, and Spitfires. That’s why I don’t care for yet another Dr.1.

Edited by Fred Jack

I do admit that the Dr1s are kind of cute, but it’s mainly for all those colours. The real thing was a nightmare to fly. Unfortunately Platz had copied a looser, the Sopwith Tripe. It was extremely maneuverable, but was not only slow, it’s forward upward and downward visibility was nonexistent. Being maneuverable was the only way to survive when you couldn’t see. After all there is nothing to run into except other airplanes, which actually, there were really not that many in the sky all at once during the time that the Dr1 flew. You whip around until an enemy plane showed up momentarily where you could see, and you fired your guns with no chance at aiming, this is what happened to Voss on his last battle with eight SE5s. He just kept whipping around putting holes in all eight planes, but scored no kills, until an unseen enemy hit him from the side. The SE5 had been hidden from Voss by his starboard upper wing. The British knew they had a lemon from the get go, and fortunately were able to soon replace their tripe with three outstanding fighters, the Bristol  F2b, the Camel, and the SE5. Germany had a problem. When they came out with their mistake, they had nothing else. They had no choice but to keep making more and more. At least the Dr1 was super maneuverable. By then the Albatroses and the Phalzs were completely out matched in all aspects. It would take far too long for the DVll to come into the battlefront. So the aces, like The Baron and Voss, would, would end up pushing up daisies. Because of the failures of the Dr1, Anthony Fokker fell out of favour, and had an uphill battle to get his DVll into production, and even when he did, the Aces wanted the Albatros/OEG built DVlls, because their wings were better built. So the DR1 was attractive in all its colours, but today has been turned into vertually a fairy tale. Remember, after so many battles, the Baron was unable to score a kill on a dog house.

Edited by Fred Jack

Actually if anyone wants a super detailed DR1, don’t ask WnWs. Ask Aviattic. I have their Ansaldo A.1 Balilla. It is the most detailed 1/32 WW1 airplane kit I ever saw. It reminds me of the old 1/8th Pocher Cars  like the 1907 Fiat, 1932 Alfa Romeos, etc....

I am not expert, but what Fred says above makes sense.  However, just because the Dr I was probably not a good design does not change the fact that I want one.  I don’t think the P-40B was a great plane but the Dr I and the P-40B both have an important place in history and as a result for me they are among my most desired and favorite subjects.  The story is important to me.  When you see a red Dr I it instantly tells a story.  When you see a P-40B in A.V.G. Markings there is an instant story.  

In reality the new Junkers plane that WNW did is probably a more important design than anything else the Germans did as a low wing monoplane.  It certainly bore more relevance to the future of aviation than did any biplane.  But emotionally I like the Dr I better.

3 hours ago, Fred Jack said:

Actually if anyone wants a super detailed DR1, don’t ask WnWs. Ask Aviattic. I have their Ansaldo A.1 Balilla. It is the most detailed 1/32 WW1 airplane kit I ever saw. It reminds me of the old 1/8th Pocher Cars  like the 1907 Fiat, 1932 Alfa Romeos, etc....

Have you built it?

I made my first model in 1957. Back then we didn’t have companies super detailing kits. My first Me109 looked more like a cartoon drawing of one and came maroon colour. We also didn’t have glue that melted the plastic together nor model paints of anything military. If you wanted better detail, you didn’t hold your breath hoping beyond hope that some company would miraculously come out with something more detailed. So we had to pull out wood and wire, and sometimes even a bar of soap to carve details. That was modeling. That’s what I do today. That is why my Hobbycraft and Roden DR1s are more than what I need to make anything better than what WnWs could produce. Your welcome to wait for a WnWs Dr1, that may never be released, or you could have a full Jasta of DR1s now as supper detailed as you want.

Charles Schultz’s ice rink is in Santa Rosa California. Being a former hockey player, I spent time with Sparky at his favorite table, now a memorial. He was a San Jose Sharks fan.

Edited by Fred Jack