Arado Ar 234A V6 - 4 x BMW engines Prototype (Kettenkrad)

kkarlsen

"I suppose you can walk on water too, right?"

Too funny!

Amazed kkarlsen.

Well done!!

As long as it's frozen!!!

Thanks for your encouragement Guy's...

Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

Thanks Joerg, I wouldn't say its all straightforward. There's a lot of trial and error involved, you just don't get to see it ;-)

The plug for the canopy was initially made from 'Das Pronto White Clay'.

When dry, it was shaped roughly (and very easily) with a knife, files and sandpaper.

It was then puttied with some IMPA one-component fine filler, (several layers until the desired shape)

The filler is sanded to get the fine surface for the plug.

Lastly, it was painted with Mr. Color 1200 gray surfacer and polished to get the smooth surface.

Cheers: Kent

Thank you very much for the "How to"-instructions!

Of course there is no mention of the required talent to get the compound curvature and the general shape of the canopy right.

I just use the kitchen oven, at 150 degrees ;-)

So here we have Kent:  Master assembler (and if Wolf says he's an 'assembler', well - I aspire to THAT label!), builder, scratch-builder, modeler and now cook too.  :bow:

Amazing, amazing work and just love that you picked such an interesting and unusual subject.  Following along with delight and awe.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Thanks Gent's, I have had a break from the Arado, just for a few days, from the sanding & 'cooking'.

And no, not from modeling, just went crazy with another project, an all scratch one, can't wait...

Just enjoying my self, cutting white styrene to pieces and gluing it back together...

But now I'm back on the Arado, beginning the build of the starter trolley...

7698-030418114330.jpeg

Regards: Kent

Been working on the details of the starter trolley.

Early on, it became obvious that the kit wheels didn't match the wheels of the trolley.

What to do?

I then contacted Eduard support, who helped me with the dimensions of the Brassin wheelsets for Ju 88 and Do 335.

They were very helpful, and it turned out, that the wheelset for the Do 335 were an almost exact match for the trolley wheels...

7698-060418202420-134132116.jpeg

7698-060418202421-134151693.jpeg

It's not done yet, but it already looks the part...

7698-060418202421-134162246.jpeg

Testing for the fit...

7698-060418202422-134171590.jpeg

The main parts are now almost finished...

Edited by kkarlsen

So Kent, you must have an amazing stash of various sizes and shapes of styrene, brass rod and the such.  Do you secretly have a tunnel or back door or something to your local hobby shop?  I can't even begin to think about the raw materials you have on hand, and then KNOWING what you have on hand, to work with.  

This is modeling on an entirely different level from the stuff I do!

Definitely enjoying the show.

:popcorn:

Chris

So Kent, you must have an amazing stash of various sizes and shapes of styrene, brass rod and the such.  Do you secretly have a tunnel or back door or something to your local hobby shop?  I can't even begin to think about the raw materials you have on hand, and then KNOWING what you have on hand, to work with.  

This is modeling on an entirely different level from the stuff I do!

Definitely enjoying the show.

:popcorn:

Chris

Thanks Chris, of course I have 'accumulated' many different bits and pieces from other builds over the last couple of years. But actually I think most scratched work can be done with 0,15 0,30 0,50 0,70 1,00 mm styrene sheets + some rods 0,70 1,00 1,50 and 2,00 mm's...

The trolley is coming together...

7698-100418094129-134232149.jpeg

Outriggers to support the skids under the engine nacelles have been added...

7698-100418094130-13426847.jpeg

The box for the parachute to stop the trolley after it has been detached at takeoff...

7698-100418094130-13427358.jpeg

Steps to gain access to the cockpit...

7698-100418094205.jpeg

Closeup of the nose wheel...