F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Thanks again all. 

This one.................OH this one here. This type of HpH kit absolutely tortures my OCD. Nothing bloody "clicks" together in a positive manor like most any new gen LSP kit. Its a smorgasbord of endless guesswork, and scratch building. I love to engineer sometimes, but NOT to have to do it throughout an entire build. I definitely would not be torturing myself like this, had I not already come so far, and had this not been my all time favorite aircraft. 

So..........................

Work continues on the engines. AKA, R2800 hell.   Back in a few with pics.

The shining light here with these engines is the look when done. I really have to thank, and all thanks do go to our own Peter of Air Scale who basically designed these engines entirely.

The look when done is really stunning to say the least, and I'm not sure how many individual parts have gone into each engine, but its a lot...........like a LOT. 18 cylinders, two spark plugs, two ignition wires, two push rods, an upper heat shield an exhaust stack and two intake runners per, DOUBLE everything for the other one, and you can see how it can get overwhelming.  However, there is some MoJo flowing now, as I have come to a mile stone on the two big radials. 

I finally got all of the above actually installed!! It felt like a herculean job honestly.  But the major part(s) of both R2800 radials is complete. The engines are not finished yet, as I still have to glue on the front trans, connected oil lines and a few other electrical lines and a couple decals to go.

The fun got started with cutting out 72 resin ANYZ spark plugs, followed by various sizes of braided ignition line.

i-8c3tGkD-X3.jpg

The ignition line is actual braided material, so when cut the ends frayed a bit.  In experimenting with how to attach the ignition line, I also found it was NOT compatible with thin or even medium thickness CA, as it just wicked right up the material and turned it stiff and dark. The solution to both issues I found was as a simple one, a soldering iron.

I just headed up my soldering iron, and used it to cauterize each end of the cut lengths of ignition wire. 

i-wgpJcHV-X3.jpg

After the ignition rings were painted and the ignition wire connections detailed, the park plugs were attached and front of the rear row of cylinders ignition wires were cut and attached to the ring

i-hsVsQNM-X3.jpg

i-Cwzw8g2-X3.jpg

The back of the rear row of cylinders now glued on, and getting crazier to handle

i-2zKpnWh-X3.jpg

Now comes the front of the front row of cylinders plugs and wires (the shortest runs of any) and getting even crazier.........like the brittle star-fish my sister used to have

i-nmFS8Cs-X3.jpg

i-NJ6CsPt-X3.jpg

The strategy here for me, for the last set of wires, the back of the front row (by far and away the hardest ones to reach) was to attach the wire to the cylinder first and wrap it around the intake ring at the back while I glued the ignition rings to the engine body, and after I had inserted and glued in all the rest of the plugs and wires. This strategy seemed to work out really well, as in the end, I managed to get all two rings, 72 plugs, and 72 ignition wires on both engines (YES I broke a lot of other misc parts with a LOT of cursing while doing all this

i-PVNc5JQ-X3.jpg

i-DRWb9HZ-X3.jpg

i-W7r7ccQ-X3.jpg

Is the wire over-scale along with probably the ignition ring? Yeah, probably a little bit. Honestly I like the looks of it all, and in scale, I think it will all turn out fine. My camera and lights also have a bad reputation for doing funny things with yellows and oranges, and the color of the wires is really way brighter looking than IRL as well. 

Pfffft, 75% of what you can see in these pics will probably never ever be seen again once the build is complete anyway! 

I set the front trans units on the engines to see what it looked like, as I still have some work to do there before gluing them on yet. 

i-XKBM44t-X3.jpg

i-NcJBC2g-X3.jpg

So, YAY!  I'm a ways toward actually finishing something/any part of this build, as I have to take small wins, and let my self celebrate small completions inside the larger build itself, or Id go mad.

I'm not going to relent on this one again, so its hell or high water toward the finish (of the engines that is)! 

Cheers! 

Thanks gents!

9 hours ago, Starfighter said:

VERY nice - I'd just suggest to add a light wash to the ignition wires to blend them in a bit more with the overall weathering of the engines. 

I was thinking the same, but need to experiment with it. They really do accept a LOT of liquid and anything that touches the "wires" gets wicked up in them in an instant, so there is no wiping anything off afterwords. I just need to experiment a bit to see what looks right.  Honestly they are a lot less bright than they actually look in the pics.

5 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Wonderful.

i-8c3tGkD-X3.jpg

Is this yellow beading thread?

Thanks Mark. Im not sure actually. Its all braided line (TINY braided line at about .04 or .05) from ANYZ.  It does appear yellow here, but my camera with the lights is known to play havoc with oranges and yellows and makes them look all sorts of funky.  The color is actually much more copper/gold than yellow. 

2 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks gents!

I was thinking the same, but need to experiment with it. They really do accept a LOT of liquid and anything that touches the "wires" gets wicked up in them in an instant, so there is no wiping anything off afterwords. I just need to experiment a bit to see what looks right.  Honestly they are a lot less bright than they actually look in the pics.

Thanks Mark. Im not sure actually. Its all braided line (TINY braided line at about .04 or .05) from ANYZ.  It does appear yellow here, but my camera with the lights is known to play havoc with oranges and yellows and makes them look all sorts of funky.  The color is actually much more copper/gold than yellow. 

Gel superglue works great with the braided line. I have played with a bit of it, but in the end I decided my stash of it was too large for 1/32 scale. When I return to my 24th scale Hellcat, it will be a different ball game!

Love the work, Bri. Keep them coming!

THOR    :ph34r: