How about: a 1/32 Tamiya P-38 Lightning?

timvkampen

• 2 years later...

I would sure make room for a Tamiya P-38 in 1/32 but would be thrilled with a 1/48 up to thier standards of the newer high end kits. With Tamiya engineering they may solve a lot of the building problems that seem to plague the existing kits.  

6 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

So would a 1/48 F-16D, but it's over a decade later and we're still waiting for it.  Lots of things might be good sellers, but that appears to have little or nothing to do with why Tamiya chooses a given subject.

Fully agree. They are a mysterious company...I'm visiting Japan in December...perhaps pay them a visit and beg and hand over our List :). Just kidding of course, but for the F-16D: GT Resin is planning some options. But it is a mystery they don't invest more in our hobby. Their RC and other offerings sell well and I am sure the plastic modelling for aviation would take off even more...oh well, the 1/48 P-38 is still fantastic of course!

2 hours ago, timvkampen said:

But it is a mystery they don't invest more in our hobby. Their RC and other offerings sell well and I am sure the plastic modelling for aviation would take off even more...

Their RC stuff is massively more popular than their static plastic kits, and the RC stuff is a tiny part of Tamiya’s overall business. Frankly, I think we’re lucky to get anything in 1/32 from them! We’re such a tiny part of their business.

Indeed. I used to be heavily into 10th scale R/C dirt track racing, and 12th scale on-road racing.......................My father and I used to go to all the big R/C shows including one of the biggest in Toledo Ohio (https://www.toledoshow.com/ - He was into quarter scale - 1/4th R/C planes).

When attending, Tamiya always had a booth there, and the R/C cars were always HUGE. The display booth was always huge, and big enough to actually contain a small indoor track for customers to try out the latest Tamiya R/C offerings.    

I dont think a single day passed of the AMA sponsored 3 or 4 day long show where the Tamiya booth wasn't surrounded by people 3 or 4 deep every day all day.   Even back then (20+ years ago) the Tamiya R/C business was BOOOOOOOOOMING. 

5 hours ago, vince14 said:

Their RC stuff is massively more popular than their static plastic kits, and the RC stuff is a tiny part of Tamiya’s overall business. Frankly, I think we’re lucky to get anything in 1/32 from them! We’re such a tiny part of their business.

Vince you nailed it with this comment.  I often feel that modelers completely misunderstand Tamiya.  Tamiya has a finger in a lot of hobby pies and 1/32 airplanes is only one small piece to them.  Just go buy a Tamiya catalog and look at how many pages are plastic models, 1/48 airplanes, and 1/32 airplanes, of course now they have I think two catalogs if they still print them anymore.  While airplanes in 1/48 and 1/32 are the most important part of my hobby world, that is not the case with Tamiya.  Their world is much bigger and more diverse.  

Tamiya is by far my favorite model company fortunately for me, I happen to like cars, planes, tanks and to a degree ships.  All my modeling life I have been able to find a modeling home base with Tamiya as when my interests changed they had something I liked available.  I have never left plastic modeling since I started around the age of 6.  I have produced fewer models at times but I have always been building something.  I had times when I was more into tanks, then cars, then planes and so on, but I have always loved Tamiya products.  

I still cannot fathom why no-one else has taken on Hasegawa with their Fw190 D9 kits. An iconic aircraft that that is only represented by one manufacturer (as far as i know).

Even with my limited funds i would save up for a Fw190 D9 from Tamiya. I'd get it when hell froze over but i'd still get it :)

19 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

So would a 1/48 F-16D, but it's over a decade later and we're still waiting for it.  Lots of things might be good sellers, but that appears to have little or nothing to do with why Tamiya chooses a given subject.

You have to remember any type of an injection molded static display model kit is of secondary concern for Tamiya, if not tertiary concern.

They are all about their R/C stuff first and foremost, and then the "paint and supplies" industry as well.

I keep hearing they are done with 1/32 aircraft kits entirely.  

Until we see one, I'll assume that is their plan.

Yea there r/c stuff is big but the plastic they use on there r/c stuff is brittle I have 2 t-Max'X's and a1/8 Scale ofnA buggy and there tuff as for 1/32 next kit is anybody guess just Gonna have to wait and see 

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

You have to remember any type of an injection molded static display model kit is of secondary concern for Tamiya, if not tertiary concern.

They are all about their R/C stuff first and foremost, and then the "paint and supplies" industry as well.

I keep hearing they are done with 1/32 aircraft kits entirely.  

Until we see one, I'll assume that is their plan.

If that were the case, I wish they would be more open about it.  I would prefer not to hope for it just to have them dashed every year.  I really thought this would be the year for a new one.  I certainly agree though with your comment in that I have seen that sentiment expressed, I just wish they would openly confirm or deny.  

I guess for me since they did the P-51D in 1/32 if they never did another 1/32 kit I am pretty happy.  I know I will build one or more D’s going foreword, I just bought the Mosquito and I would like to do one of their big jets.  Other companies have great subjects I want coming out so I am all good.  I am fairly certain I will pick up this new P-38 though.

I have lots of room to build Tamiya’s existing lineup as I have only built two spitfires, two mustangs, two corsairs, and a Zero, so I have lot’s I can still build.

Edited by cbk57

The reality is that Tamiya doesn’t owe anyone an explanation of their business strategy, of whether they will make or won’t make any more models in any scale , or anything else really.  If Tamiya doesn’t put out another 1/32 kit, fine.  If they put out some other 1/32 kit, that’s fine too.  I don’t worry about it in any way, so I’m not disappointed if another show goes by without any announcement.

14 hours ago, cbk57 said:

Vince you nailed it with this comment.  I often feel that modelers completely misunderstand Tamiya.  Tamiya has a finger in a lot of hobby pies and 1/32 airplanes is only one small piece to them. 

That's no reason to assume they've given up on 1/32 a/c  (which apparently sells like hotcakes  :shrug:)

8 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

That's no reason to assume they've given up on 1/32 a/c  (which apparently sells like hotcakes  :shrug:)

If you are commenting on my post, I am not assuming that Tamiya has given up on 1/32.  There are a number of statements including from Andy at Andy’s hobbies that Tamiya has given indication they are pulling back from 1/32.  It is not clear what that means.  Lot’s of companies give foreword outlooks including what types of products they are working on, just turn on any earnings report as they are coming out right now.  I would prefer some clarity from them if they don’t intend to pursue 1/32 as it would end a lot of speculation.   Tamiya though is not publicly traded and has no obligation to give foreword looking reports.

Now I have not said, do not mean and in no way mean to insinuate that Tamiya has given up on 1/32, I have no personal knowledge of such things.  It is clear they have taken a break as they have not released a new one recently.  How long that break is we don’t know.   If they were walking away for the forseable future I would prefer they say so personally.   If they release new 1/32 subjects I will be really happy, if they don’t I am fine too.  The only thing that would crush my modeling sole though is if they stoped all new plastic models entirely.