Jump to content

cib2265

LSP_Members
  • Content Count

    243
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

cib2265 last won the day on April 18 2016

cib2265 had the most liked content!

About cib2265

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Australia
  • Interests
    Modelling planes in flight..

Recent Profile Visitors

293 profile views
  1. I started a build group on Facebook to collate the aftermarket options and scratchbuilding here if anyone is interested: https://www.facebook.com/groups/279260363020283/
  2. Was just thinking this today. I made Academy's 1/48 F-22A a few years back, but with some weathering experience under my built, would like to have another go (because doing an F-22 like a Hasegawa side boxart "clean" is ridiculous, they are filthy birds) and the bigger the scale the better.
  3. Best engineered: Bandai (by far), Tamiya, Wingnut Wings Worst engineered: Airfix, Amodel, Italeri I'll leave it at that since its so broad to define, and because there's more than one hobby here - probably four hobbies masquerading as one. (hoarding, building, modifying, artistic painting styles etc)
  4. Im currently painting my AMK 1/48 Mig31 in that scheme now. Its a big bird in 1/48, but AMK's overdone panel lines would be more appropriate in 1/32
  5. Saw this in the flesh last night at IPMS, Eric has done a wonderful job bringing it to life - plus convincing a few more members of the need to get a Silhouette Cutter!
  6. Roughness is only that, its very lightly textured for cast effect, not as ablative coating, which would be a LOT thicker. Also its a good way to cheat out of filling seams between the bomb halves - I just ran thinned Bondo putty all over
  7. Not counting some spare pilots from an Academy/Tamiya 1/32 kit, and maybe a canopy mask set, this will be the only aftermarket I'm using for the kit: Oh and the main pylons are nearly done. Need to add a few more fuel hoses and slightly sand the sway brace attachments, plus seam cleanup. You'll notice I cut the DECM antennas off since the early A-6As didn't have them. Now, back to modifying the MERs.
  8. What size rod are you using with this method? I find up to 9mm is fine with a heat gun, but I'm using an 18mm for my A-6 project...might try the boiling water method
  9. First update. I built the 12 supplied Mk82 slicks in the kit, plus four more. Will try casting the six more required next for total 22. Fins were reshaped to be a lot thinner, plus added texture to the front half with Bondo putty. Fuses to be painted separately: Chicken and egg problem next - I want to detail up the MERs but I needed to work out the proper sway brace locations and see if the weapon pylons inner details were visible (theyre not a flat filled edge with notches for the sway braces as Trumpeter molds them). Was easy to modify, just cut away the lip, insert a 2mm wide piece of styrene channel and add various channel/nuts/wire detail inside for 3D effect. Needs some seam cleanup, but I'm more concerned about the piano hinge, Im thinking of either replacing or just carefully adding more cuts in between the molded detail. also I cut the panel line straight through on the ends: I actually started with the separate ejector racks, these hang on the lower portion of the MERs and out of the box are okay. I drilled out underneath, added the lugs that are absent, plus replaced the flat detail with Meng nuts, plus the arming (?) detail on the top. Seven more of these to do! The sway braces will need attention next, Im hoping to replace the cups with some punched discs and the soft nut details. I've almost finished modifying the first MER, but need to add the arming wires, that will be next update. I'm thinking I should have just bought resin drop in replacements, but this is a good exercise, I've never done this to an aircraft kit before...
  10. Great work Eric - looking forward to seeing this at club!
  11. thanks chaps, Im doing this way out of sequence, finishing the weapons and pylons first, then the inflight base. I've got 16 Mk 82 bombs together, need to mold another 6 using Blue Stuff to make a "full" 22 load on four MERs. As Trumpeter only supplies 2 in the kit - but a shedload of other useless weapons for an A-6A loadout - I raided the cupboard and found 2 more in my Trumpeter AV-8B kit, plus 4 Mk 82 slicks (only 12 in the kit, again, disappointed Trumpeter!) I'm halfway through detailing the first one and will post an update soon, have a 1/48 Tamiya F-14 on the bench that needs clearing first.
  12. Im using Google Photos to link the images....mmmm
×
×
  • Create New...