1/32 Tamiya F4U-1D!

wrbrdmech

I just had a email from Wheels and Wings Hobbies in Toronto. They have been advised to expect the -1D in late August or early September. BUMMER! I was really expecting it would be sooner.

John,

So are you planning on building the Fw190 now?

Joel

Guest The Southern Bandit

Given what Brett has in his hands, I'd bet it will be sooner than that.

I think so, the fact that he actually has the actual kit release decals this time that he never got in previous previews is a good sign, maybe Tamiya are just waiting on the box's to be printed?

He is talking about new here, new there, but from what I see the lower centre piece has a window opening in it and fuselage sprue  layout is the same as it is on the previous b-cage/1A sprue as well. 

Sounds like it.  I'm sure all the tooling was done when the bird cage was tooled, so boxes, decals, and instructions are likely all they need.  And squeezing plastic.

They had exclusive unlimited access to a 1D and backdated to the Birdcage and 1A. So yes, the 1D was tooled early.

Thanks for the link Jennings, I wonder why a whole new fuse?

Hi Anthony,

So far - looking at Brett's posting today - the only kit fuselage difference I've noticed is the rear fuselage carbon monoxide vent aft of the cockpit.  I'm looking forward to buying my own to see what else the kit offers.  (Just wondering if the rocket arming/firing panels are added to the cockpit?)

Cheers,

Dana

Surprising that after all that Tamiya made the flap with an open hole for the foot step.  That doesn't belong on a WWII F4U.  The step was added during F4U-1D/FG-1D production, but it had a spring loaded door over it until after the war.

Should be an easy fix. Plus, the after market will likely step in, too.

Surprising that after all that Tamiya made the flap with an open hole for the foot step. That doesn't belong on a WWII F4U. The step was added during F4U-1D/FG-1D production, but it had a spring loaded door over it until after the war.

Not surprising at all since they made the same mistake in their 1/48 kit that was released 19 years ago. That's what can happen when using museum or restored warbirds.