1/32 Tamiya F4U-1D!

wrbrdmech

Just had an email from Dana, and those rocket rails are adapters for a small training round.

Thanks Dana!

Maybe this:

http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/launchers/cat-0031.htm

as a side note for the "mud" rocket pic, they look to be this:

http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/launchers/cat-0045.htm

it comes as a pair of launchers, click on Next Page for a drawing of it.

Jari

Edited by Finn

Has anyone besides me noticed that the two aircraft flanking the one in the center are cannon armed?  The one on the right appears to be an F4U-5 judging by the position of the intakes and the C series R-2800.  John, do you know when the photo was taken and/or the source?  Interesting to say the least.

Not sure of the exact year, but reasonably certain this was taken at NAS Jacksonville, FL. A Corsair rework facility. I've seen similar photos taken of these planes outdoors next to a seaplane ramp.

-d-

I don't have any solid proof to base this on, but its possible they are the same rails as those used by the P-51D.

Rails versus stubs seemed to be prevalent on Brewster F3A-1s and FG-1As for some reason. Not sure why.

-d-

So does that mean if I got one of these and didn't want to use the rockets on it, I could use them to make a Korean war F-51D with Rockets? I really want to do a Sharkmouth Mustang myself but I'll definitely go for one maybe two of these kits.

Is there anyone taking pre-orders yet?

Brady

So does that mean if I got one of these and didn't want to use the rockets on it, I could use them to make a Korean war F-51D with Rockets? I really want to do a Sharkmouth Mustang myself but I'll definitely go for one maybe two of these kits.

Brady

Theoretically yes.

-d-

Brady

There looks to be a slight difference between the stub pylons:

F4U with rockets:

1b43d8a1c658993e_large.jpg

P-51 with rockets:

Jari

There looks to be a slight difference between the stub pylons:

F4U with rockets:

1b43d8a1c658993e_large.jpg

P-51 with rockets:

Jari

I think this may be a case of Apples and Oranges. The above photo depicts an F4U-4B, which had a completely different rocket stub installation than the earlier F4U/FG-1/F3A derivatives.

-d-

Jari,

You are always coming through with timely and pertinent photos. They're often rare or never before seen (at least by this viewer).

I nominated you the resident LSP archivist!

Rich

OK I may sound stupid here Jari, but I'm not seeing the difference between the two birds really. Can you elaborate any on the difference between the two?

Thanks,

Brady

I was referring to the stub pylons, check where they attach to the bottom of the wing between the P-51 and the F4U, you'll see a difference, the rockets are the same, just different launchers. So you can't use the stub pylons that come, or will come with the new upcoming Tamiya F4U on a P-51. There is a slight difference with the rockets, note there are two bands on the F4U for attaching onto the forward stub pylon while the P-51 pic has just one.

Yes the pics are Korean War era, i was responding to the poster's query about using them on a Mustang

Jari

Edited by Finn

We'll shoot, I was hoping to get to use one set for a P-51 since Tamiya hasn't released a 1/32 F-51 with Rockets like they did in 1/48 scale. I'll just have to hope either for an F-51D or someone to make an aftermarket set of rockets and tabs. Thanks for the explanation guys, I see the difference between the two planes now. 

Cheers,

Brady