1/32 Tamiya F4U-1D!

wrbrdmech

Guest The Southern Bandit

Anyone heard of a pre-order yet? Yes, I am anxious to get one.

Brad

Nothing yet and been checking regularly, I guess we'll see pre-order's starting from early to mid June, some country's seem to get stock earlier, hoping to have one for my birthday in early July  :piliot: 

It's because the Tamiya family are very good friends with the Borgfeldt family who have exclusive rights to all Canadian imports and have as far back as the very early 80's or perhaps farther. 

http://www.borgfeldt.ca/

I am pretty sure Canada gets everything Tamiya releases second place, Japan being first place.

I am guessing to allow entry to market overseas and protect their importers.  It takes several weeks for container ships to reach their port then all the inland transport etc. 

If they release in Japan the items could be couriered to N/A overnight killing the vibe to buy once the container ship gets here.

Lets just say the Japanese domestic market are not particularly happy when you can buy a Tamiya F-14 in Europe months before Tokyo...so particularly vocal people close to Shizuoka where shall we say giving Tamiya both barrels and then some.

Not sure it will be available that much earlier overseas this time.

Japanese are far more domestic oriented than say China and the angst generated against Tamiya after the F-14 was unavailable fir almost 2.5 months after US release has generated quite a lot of noise.

Interested to see if Tamiya listen to the locals or shaft them again...

Edited by Darren Howie

I see the problem they face, it is almost like a movie release. They really need a global release date and written contracts with their importers that no kit can be sold before a certain date. Might not be perfect but if they could get them to hit the global market whithin a few days it might be a lot better for all parties.

Does anyone know what the lower wings were like on the -1D without the RP stubs? I know it seems obvious that you just sand the rectangular plates off, but were the lower wings skinned as well even if they didnt have the RP stubs?

The RNZAF had a lot of 1-D's but no RP stubs except the very last few Goodyear built FG-1D.....

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Lower wings skinned? The undersides of the outer flaps on the rocket equipped -1D's were skinned with metal but I don't believe the fabric portions of the undersides of the outer wings received the same treatment. The area of the lower wing where the rockets were attached was metal covered anyway. The fabric portion of the outer wing isn't near the rocket exhaust so wouldn't require skinning with metal.

Edited by Juggernut

Wasn't that only the case with the Spit and the Mossie though?  I thought that was because Tamiya had done much of their research on those in Canada.

Regardless, it'll be out when it's out.  Lots of stash material in the meantime :)

Spitfire, Mustang, Corsair, and Mossie.

And yes. Only the 1/32 kits. Because of the research.

The F-14 and Ki-61 were delayed releases in Canada.

Lower wings skinned? The undersides of the outer flaps on the rocket equipped -1D's were skinned with metal but I don't believe the fabric portions of the undersides of the outer wings received the same treatment. The area of the lower wing where the rockets were attached was metal covered anyway. The fabric portion of the outer wing isn't near the rocket exhaust so wouldn't require skinning with metal.

Hi Jug, yes mate I know what you mean, but I think I didn't make my post very clear. Lots of -1D's didn't have RP stubs, so my question was. Was that section of outer wing and lower flap still metal skinned? I cant tell definitively from my photos.

See here

49312ab41e8644ac90570162091df618_zpstow0

then the extra skinning for the rockets

Tamiya-1-32-F4U-D-Corsair-4_zps0ejjiejo.

Any ideas when this was introduced on -1D's? Or was it like this from the start of -1D production and they could all be retrofitted with RP's in the field?

Cheers

Anthony

I just had a email from Wheels and Wings Hobbies in Toronto. They have been advised to expect the -1D in late August or early September. BUMMER! I was really expecting it would be sooner.