1/32 Tamiya F4U-1D!

wrbrdmech

What provision is given for the modeller that doesn't want to install rockets? I'm surprised Tamiya didn't simply leave the mounting points skinned over and have dimples on the inside to guide those who want rockets to drill locating holes.

I don't have any solid proof to base this on, but its possible they are the same rails as those used by the P-51D.

Rails versus stubs seemed to be prevalent on Brewster F3A-1s and FG-1As for some reason. Not sure why.

-d-

It looks superb, just the one for me though, have the other two Tamiya Corsairs, 3 in total is plenty.

I've also got both the -1 and the -1A at the front of my to build list' but I still really want two over the long haul

Joel

Here's another photo that shows the skinning, etc on the wing underside..

GoSGT1u.jpg

Has anyone besides me noticed that the two aircraft flanking the one in the center are cannon armed?  The one on the right appears to be an F4U-5 judging by the position of the intakes and the C series R-2800.  John, do you know when the photo was taken and/or the source?  Interesting to say the least.

Edited by Juggernut

Anyone have any good closeup photos of rocket *RAILS* on wartime F4U-1Ds??  I'm noticing them on a fair number of aircraft, in place of the normal 5" stub launchers...  Don't recall ever noticing them before.

Ze32ly.jpg

I think that's a question for the resident expert, Dana Bell.  It may be that Goodyear used the rails while Vought used stub launchers or something like that... Or, it could be something entirely different....  Dana probably can englighten us.  All I know for sure is those Corsairs are from VMF-312 and not one of them appears to be 530, the seemingly only aircraft from VMF-312 ever to be rendered in decals in any scale.

... For the record, we're leaving FAA and RNZAF Corsairs to those with more expertise than we have ...

I'm hoping that those with the 'more expertise' do an adjustment for wing tips also!

Rog :)