HPH news

Flipper

Guest Vulcan32

Where's my Avia BH-11?  I've been jonesing for that one since it was announced

Will be buying a Wyvern and Sparviero

Matt  :frantic:

Read the News in HpH thread in the Vendors board.

Hopefully we can get some pictures of the Sparviero in development in the near future. That is an awesome plane, and would love to get a big, accurate kit of it.  Looks like the Trumpeter version is going to stay in the box

Matt  :frantic:

• 2 weeks later...

Completely different business model for a resin kit than IM plastic, apples and oranges.  But good on HpH for providing some really interesting subjects.

Oh? So you are saying that the early injection molded kits by Revell, Hasegawa, Monogram, Williams Brothers and a few other manufacturers are not injection molded kit like today's?

Specifically, what are the differences in "business models" between those early kits and today's, pray tell?

Um, no.

It only it were that simple, manufacturers would have already done it & we'd be knee deep in 1/32 kits.

If you read carefully I did not mention a main line manufacturer making model kits using 3D technology. 

We individual modelers with the technology can make the copy/enlarged models is what I am talking about. We have the time to spend a weekend making a one off model. 

But no way does high speed production by 3D processes exist today. Ever see an IM production line in operation? They are very high speed, from start to end.

At this stage in development 3D processes are as slow as making resin models. They are not high speed.

I am not talking about Revell cranking these out by the multi thousands in one run. I am referring to we individual modelers doing 3D. By we I am referring to individual modelers who have a technological mind set.

Besides, right now the quality of the 3D end product is no way as good as an IM product.

Um. no.

You could have a super-fast 3D printer, but a scaled up 1/72 kit would still look bloody terrible in 1/32. 

A good point as a great deal of small detail is omitted from tiny models like 1/72 but would appear very well in 1/32. So a direct upscaling would have faults. 

But it would be a start and a modeler could then add on the details he wants.

Personally I do not care about all the small details so a scaling up of a 1/72 part to 1/32 would not bother me.

Yes. 3D printers will be the answer to everything....

I've been hearing this for 20 years or more, and it is still a long way off for the average joe modeller. Mostly because he refuses to learn CAD!!!

Hold on fella, since when does average Joe modeler have to learn a complicated software?

I have been teaching and working in AutoCAD since 1990 and no way is that an easy software to learn. It has a very high and long learning curve.  Expecting a modeler to learn even Inventor or Solidworks is quite a bit too much.

The average modeler is not looking to take on a new skill set. He wants to assemble a model for fun, relaxation, entertainment, etc. 

When I am looking for a diversion I like to get a good novel, get comfortable and spend the day reading it.   But no way is writing a novel to have something to read going to relax me. That just presents me with another source of tension and stress.

Average Joe Modeler opens a box of parts (called a kit) and calms down and escapes from the stresses of reality by building the model. He does not want to create the kit itself.

There are a very few modelers who enjoy making their own parts. But that is not Average. We call them scratch builders. There are extremely few of them and some of them produce parts for others. 

It is a wonderful fantasy that the average modeler can push a few buttons and out pops a  new kit or parts. But it is a fantasy.

Hells bells, if a 1/32nd SR-71 is confirmed, then a 1/32nd B-58 is most definitely plausible. Id buy one for SURE.

I already told you to take your place in the queue BEHIND me, Brian ;)

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Steven, we appear to be singing from the same hymn sheet!! But there are modern CAD packages that are fully capable of doing useful work, given some effort from the user. There are even several free or online programs that will do this.

All it takes is the effort. And the research, of course! That never changes.....