If Revells P-51 is a all new tooling I'm in

oyoy5

Revell are there to make money, not models.

You can't knock them for going mainstream. With the greatest of respect, they know what they are doing

Comes back to our over inflated sense of our place in the industry. Sure, a "B" is the missing link, but it's not going to make as much money as a "D".

I won't buy one, but then I guess Revell are crazily relying upon the 99%+ of modellers who are hobbyists, who build a kit OOB & are happy if it goes together OK & resembles the subject. And is cheap. This is especially the case for a mass retailer like Revell, who sells high volume at lowish margins.

P-51D for the masses. Period.

RoG's rationale is rather simple: An extremely popular subject at a highly reasonable price, reasonably accurate for the ignoramuses, not overstraining the skills of beginners and intermediate modellers. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Hey!! I resemble those remarks!! Guess i'll have to get a couple of Revell Mustangs

Don

Hey if the Revell kit has smooth wings, easy minimal part count and decently accurate like the 262 as opposed to most of there recent kits I'm sure it will be a winner.

Not everyone who wants to build 4-6 Mustangs wants to go down the whole road of engines and gun bays etc for every kit.

Exactly why Eduard should be doing a cracking easy build 109G kit in 32nd.

Then it doesn't matter what Tamiya do as the base kit is lovely, accurate and quick to build and pretty cheap and they cover resin for detail parts and have a win win best simple kit and best detailed parts in resin.

Just hopefully we get something like the 262 not the Spitfire.

Guest Peterpools

After reading all the comments, maybe I'm being a bit snooty about the entire idea. Of course, I'm disappointed it won't be a B but as Darren just pointed out: if the shape is accurate, the wings are smooth and the price is right, just might be a bargain. After all, I have a number of tamiya Spits in the collection and added Revell's MkII as well.

Peter

"We need a modern accurate IM P-51B, not another bloody D model.

If I can have a modern Mustang that is about 30.00 that is accurate in its general outline, I will buy three of them for the cost of one Tamiya kit.

THOR :ninja:

Ditto. If reviews come back telling us the outline is accurate and there's a decent amount of cockpit and gear well detail, I'm whipping out the plastic for at least two of these kits if they are in the $30-$50 range.

I've built one of Tamiya's "super kit" Spitfires and, while I enjoyed it, I felt it was overkill for what I need from a kit. I was resigned to paying for their P-51D to get the accuracy I want, but now I hope I'll have a less complex and expensive alternative. I, for one, am excited at this news.

Edited by AdamR

Me too, I like building my kits with everything closed and I dislike overcomplicated kits. I have a built Tamiya Spit IX in Dutch livery but it almost fell together and I didn't have the fun I usually have when beating older kits into submission.

Had a Hasegawa D lined up to make a nice Dutch version but that will be replaced by the new Revell D. Just a matter of taste chaps.

Cees

You know I'd like to pass on a thought I had of what Revell seem to be doing with the newer kits lately.

It seems to be trending that their tooling is being adapted to get different versions marketed at a later date.

Perhaps a P-51 'B/C' variant might be part of that 'policy'?

Let's keep our fingers crossed that they consider this one worthwhile!

Keep having fun folks and Happy New Year to everyone!!!   :D 

I won't buy one, but then I guess Revell are crazily relying upon the 99%+ of modellers who are hobbyists, who build a kit OOB & are happy if it goes together OK & resembles the subject. And is cheap. This is especially the case for a mass retailer like Revell, who sells high volume at lowish margins.

I think Dean's view is spot on. To understand Revell's decision, you have to take into account the situation in Germany. I live in Austria and know the situation here, but i think it is the same in Germany. You find Tamiya, ZM and all the others in the very few specialized hobby shops. Revell, on the other hand, you find in almost every toy shop and department store. I think that is also a reason they tend to produce simpler kits with a lower price tag, because they are not targeting primarily the modelling enthusiast, but a mass market, be it children, casual modellers.

So it makes sense for them to go for the most popular variant, as it will sell the most units.

Markus

I'll sit on the fence till the reviews start coming in on this one.  Will be in no hurry here.  Then I'll bite if there are no accuracy issues.  I'm not into gun bays or engines.  I like mine buttoned up.  Accurate shape and decent surface treatment is all that I'm looking for.  Dropped flaps and accurate wheelbays would be a plus.  A bunch of AM stuff is already out there to take up the slack.  Come to think of it, fairly accurate wheel bays would be a must.  If it's the same old crap as before, I ain't buying it.

Best regards

Patrick

When the BF-109 G-10 Erla came, I built 4 of them. Nice kit, lots of fun, no need to pick just one livery, because the price is great. 

I like the idea of building a few Mustangs. I'll make a red tail, I've always likes Booleybird, (Matchbox had it in 1/72, remember that one?), an RAF one and maybe a Guatemalan Mustang with its jungle look!  

Better start making a list !

Nic

Well, I'll throw my 2 pennies in on this. I like what Revell has been making. Doesn't matter to me if its been made already by others, better by others, etc. What I like about these new Revell kits is cost. I can't afford the big Tamiya jobs or ZM's, but the Revell on the other hand is fine by me. Yes, would be nice to have seen a "B" model of the Mustang, and maybe that will be just around the corner, hopefully. Would be nice to see a re-vamp of the F4F Wildcat as well. And, why not a Val and Kate? So, I applaud Revell in what they are doing. Big bang for not a lot of cashola! My question is this, why isn't Tamiya, Hasegawa, and ZM not doing something similar? Yes, Hasegawa's A6M5 Zeros are nice and cost less than the Tamiya's, but they could be doing it better cost wise for the modeler. So, Hail Revell!!! Keep it up boys, show the Asian manufacturers up with great models at a great price! Maybe, it will make them a bit more humble in the future as they watch the Revell offerings fly off the shelves while theirs is collecting dust on the shelves. Just saying.