If Revells P-51 is a all new tooling I'm in

oyoy5

I missed this page when I made my comments.  But completely agree - there is a middle market Revell can easily address.  The Tamiya kits are lovely, but they really do require a big commitment in time and effort.

Chris

And money.

I do have a big stash, and no, I'm not an elitist by any means. Most of my 1/32 scale kits are singles, not doubled up. I can't afford the Tamiya kits, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have one. I would love to have them. I like the new Revell kits because they do have quite a bit detail and they don't charge an arm and a leg for it. Also, by the time you purchase aftermarket sets, and decals, as they come out, you've still invested less than buying the Tamiya kit. By the way, I know plenty of fellars that have bought Tamiya kits, and still end up purchasing the aftermarket sets and decals, thus, spending even more. But, that's ok, to each his own. I'm not bashing Tamiya kits, but they are just too darn expensive. Hasegawa is a little better with their new offerings, but could also be doing better in the pricing of their kits, including their old ones!

As for Hobby Lobby that I saw mentioned. Yes, I miss what Hobby Lobby used to carry in model kits. They used to have a far better selection than they currently have now. They carried far more aircraft, armor, and ship models than they do. They carried RoG and Italeri kits and several others that they don't anymore. Yep, I long for what they had 10  years ago. 

I know plenty of fellars that have bought Tamiya kits,

I love that you used the word "fellars"...so Texan. Thanks for the smile this morning.

You made some good points about pricing, and what some of us buy to add on to the basic kit, even after complaining about the initial price.

I think there is a good market for a well-priced decent P-51D. I think Revell made a good decision and we'll wait and see how they do. It won't be near Tamiya's price and like many said so far it will likely be available to more people. There will be complaints that it's yet another Mustang, when there are so many aircraft that haven't been done yet in 1/32. I really hope those kits eventually happen...but who would have thought ten years ago we'd have the kits that are available now. 

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

I love that you used the word "fellars"...so Texan. Thanks for the smile this morning.

You made some good points about pricing, and what some of us buy to add on to the basic kit, even after complaining about the initial price.

I think there is a good market for a well-priced decent P-51D. I think Revell made a good decision and we'll wait and see how they do. It won't be near Tamiya's price and like many said so far it will likely be available to more people. There will be complaints that it's yet another Mustang, when there are so many aircraft that haven't been done yet in 1/32. I really hope those kits eventually happen...but who would have thought ten years ago we'd have the kits that are available now. 

Richard

Friend, so glad I was able to put a smile on ya this morning. My Grandmother used to tell us when we were little, "If you smile before 10 Am, you'll have a great day!"  Well, I've always been smiling before 10 AM or trying awful hard to do so! LOL!

I agree, folks will always complain about something, me included, but we need to take time and reflect what we've got. We have so many kits of so many different aircraft now, it truly is unbelievable! Who would have thought 10 years ago we'd have a 1/32 He-111 today! Crazy! If Revell is successful with the P-51D, and they fly off the shelves, it paves the way for other aircraft. I hope they do make P-51B's and other aircraft as well. We're living in some amazing times!

Edited by Big Texan

While I do have a Tamiya Mustang here (thanks again, Ernst), a Revell offering done to the same standard as the Ju 88, and at reasonable cost, would suit the bill just fine, as tricked out wheel wells, gun bays and engines do absolutely nothing for me, no matter how well detailed or complex they may be. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Revell does with the kit.

Oh how boring and unimaginative...

I must say I'm amused by the explanation "Oh, I can't afford a $100 Tamiya kit, but if these are $33.50 a piece I'll buy three!"  And I bet most of the people who "can't afford" a Tamiya kit have a large stash, too...

bob

Not really Bob. I don't *want* to pay 100 for a Mustang, but 33 for a Mustang, 33 for a bottle of single malt and 33 on aromatic pipe tobacco works for me. Trouble is, only a third survives in any kind of stash!

Tony

I already have a Tamiya P-51D; I won't buy a Revell kit of the same subject, regardless of accuracy or price.  Please, please, please! Give me something new!

I get you, Bill, but I plan to build at least two P-51Ds and I'm working on a budget: not money, but time.

I'll hit 70 this year, and I'm already a bit shaky. Since I just rejoined the hobby last year, I've got a lot of catching up to do and an unknown but most likely short time to do it. I really like the idea of accurate but simple kits that get me to the painting stage quickly and without too much fuss, so I have high hopes for this Revell offering.

A lot of people in our hobby have severe time constraints for other reasons, so I think Revell's new "D" fills a need that Tamiya's doesn't. (I do hope they'll also do a B/C though! 😊)