MY SCRATCH BUILT 1:20 SCALE B17G...phase 2

fozzy

Hi Martin,

Great to see you back on this one. These last few updates have been very interesting to me as I'm at exactly the same moment with my B-17. I have yet to add the door retract gearboxes and the fuel transfer pumps, so it's been good to see how you've attacked them here. 

This will look amazing under a coat of paint  :goodjob:

Cheers,

Craig

Thank you all so much for your kind words about the the loss of my Dad ...yes your right Peter...it is a welcomed distraction.

.....and thanks also to all of you for your comments on this project...I am at the moment spraying the base coat and will post soon! :)

Hi again

Quick up date!

I have started to spray paint the basic colours I am going to use on this bomb bay....there are so many variations from all aluminum finish....all interior green...or a mixture of both....so I have gone with the latter!....just think it looks gooddefault_wink.png

Every modeller has different ways of painting their models. This is the system that I always use.

1. Spray paint the basic colours.

2. Spray a shiny sealant over the paint....I use Johnsons Wax Klear ...wonderful stuff but not in production any more.

3. Hand paint certain detailed areas.

4. Paint  a wash of Oil Paints...usually black or burnt umber over the entire area ( the base colours must be dry before you do this...at least 24 hours... else the turpentine will lift the paint!..all the oil wash gets into the nooks and crannies bringing everything to life!

5. Dry brush silver/white over painted area...this will bring out all the surface detail.

6.Have a cup of tea and pat yourself on the back for a job well done!default_smile.png

So at the moment I have just sprayed the basic colours...and the sealant ...as you can see here.......

rt%20002_zpseoar0vrj.jpg

bv%20002_zpslfyel2h1.jpg

rt%20005_zpsdmaosddd.jpg

So as you can see...it all looks lifeless and flat!....its time to go to step 3 on wards!

....but before I do that I was experimenting with the cat walk flooring....and came up with a plan!.....I was looking at my wet and dry rubbing down paper (as you do!!) and thought it might look good cut and glued over the cat walk.

The piece I used was a used piece making it look all scruffed up so to speak!....

bv%20001_zps3dklltb6.jpg

So I cut to shape and used some UHU glue to glue it down.......

vf_zpsetipfvbl.jpg

bv%20006_zpsywi5y5km.jpg

bv%20003_zpst8fv7gem.jpg

What you reckon?...think it just might do the trick default_smile.png

Ok then....so now its onto step 3 to 6!

I'll come back when that's complete

Cheers

Fozzy

Afternoon chaps.....its me again! :rolleyes:

So the last couple of days were spent enjoying my self on the lower half of bomb bay. As I said in my last post the bottom half was sprayed with Klear....a wash of oil paints applied and dry brushed to bring out the detail.

After looking at photos to make sure I had as much detail as possible to display I found that some of the wiring was missing...and so more wire was cut and super glued into the bomb bay.

You may or may not be interested in how I add wiring!...pretty simple really and I am sure all you do it!....but for those of you that don't..............

I have a tin with loads of scrap wire that I ripped out of old TV /Radios etc......................

bc_zpsqjuil3io.jpg

The trick is I think is to select the correct gauge for the scale of what you are trying to achieve.Too many times I see models of Bi Planes for example with the rigging painstakingly attached to the model using wire ...in the wrong scale! ...which makes the aircraft look as if it has been rigged with thick rope!default_ohmy.png....no need!...just choose the correct gauge...this is why I never throw away any electronic gadgets...rip it open and grab all the wire!.........

.......any way I digress!..........this is how I do it..........

bv%20003_zpsbdpgdypa.jpg

I take off the insulation and use the strands of wire ...cut a piece off of the insulation which acts as a sleeve (and is pretty effective when painted)....super glue in position.....paint!.....sorted!default_wink.png

So here is a WARNING!........I have taken shed loads of photos of the progress I have made so far!....not going to apologies as I always do it!....................

uuu%20003_zps4vwqmxan.jpg

ty%20004_zpsu8yr7nm4.jpg

ty%20002_zpscvxonfn3.jpg

uuu%20010_zpssmxppbnh.jpg

uuu%20023_zps5lcytyrl.jpg

uuu%20026_zpssmeoccvv.jpg

.....and there's more!!!!! :D