MY SCRATCH BUILT 1:20 SCALE B17G...phase 2

fozzy

ty%20006_zps6leq1qon.jpg

ty%20007_zpsbpwd0knl.jpg

ty%20003_zps6y56heh5.jpg

ty%20005_zpsm0g5yldd.jpg

ty%20008_zpsjch6rlpc.jpg

...and finally!......a shot of the in complete top half just placed on top!.........

ty%20013_zpsatljxk3y.jpg

Well done for keeping up chaps!default_tongue.png

I have to now play around with the top half the same as I did with the bottom half!.......tops and bottoms!...I don't know!default_rolleyes.gif

until the next post.................

Cheers

Fozzy

You Sir, are totally nailing this bomb bay. All your details look spot on, believe me, I've been studying this area for quite a while now :)

I really like your bomb door retract gearboxes. I've got to get onto them at some point soon. 

Also, very clever use on splitting the bomb bay into upper and lower halves instead of the much more traditional left and right sides. I think this area calls for such creative thinking. 

Loving this build Martin!

Craig

Cheers guys for all your comments! :)

You Sir, are totally nailing this bomb bay. All your details look spot on, believe me, I've been studying this area for quite a while now :)

I really like your bomb door retract gearboxes. I've got to get onto them at some point soon. 

Also, very clever use on splitting the bomb bay into upper and lower halves instead of the much more traditional left and right sides. I think this area calls for such creative thinking. 

Loving this build Martin!

Craig

Hi Craig....in reference to the upper and lower design of this build......I thought long and hard on how I was to achieve scratching all the detail...I knew I had to construct the whole thing in two halves..and the clincher was that it was going to be easier to marry the detail together doing an upper and lower design!...I think if I had done the left and right halves I would have been in a whole world of trouble !

I talk from experience as I tried doing a B17F many many moons ago ....probably late 80s!!....using the traditional method of the two fuselage halves on re vamping an old Revel kit in 1:48 scale....it was a night mare.....old photos...but here it is.......

b%202_zpss1paadj4.jpg

b%204_zpsidk4jxjr.jpg

b%2012_zps6w3mu9zm.jpg

So much easier top and bottom method!

Hello again everyone

Since I last posted I had some concern as to how I was going to display the detail of this section of the build. After a lot of thought I realized that because this is a continuation of the front end ....and if I am to continue down the fuselage then I have to keep the display the same as how I started this project....ie some of the top sections removed so one could look down into the model...as I did with the front end of this B17G..........

x%20044_zpsy2qbw3pp.jpg

All I have to do now is cut away some of the top panels...which I have now done........

oop%20009_zpsd3midslu.jpg

Looks like a very strange photo but when I place the upper section which houses the life raft then it will all make sense...I hope!!default_unsure.png...well I am confident it will look ok!default_wink.png

I made some little bomb bay lights out of scraps...the lamps were made from cutting off the ends of an old 1:72 scale bomb.....and the lenses were made from vac formed clear plastic.......

bc%20006_zpsrvfrssrr.jpg

They were then painted and glued into position......

yu%20001_zps8w9pfcki.jpg

all wired up and painted and job done!

yu%20007_zpspdxemreb.jpg

yu%20012_zpsrz9ettfy.jpg

yu%20013_zpsvdhb2ayo.jpg

yu%20014_zpsluyaucd3.jpg

Okay then......it was time to at long last bring the two halves together permanently....with the aid of super glue and white glue.

...but before that I had to make a little door which connects the cockpit with the bomb bay and add a  few more wires and cables. I had to do this before putting the halves together else I would never be able to get my fingers in the bomb bay to attach them!........

Photos coming up....next post.................

So here we have the bomb bay as it is at the moment...........

hhoo%20002_zps2gnhgtwm.jpg

hhoo%20004_zps67g9lzvi.jpg

oop%20015_zpsh514oovk.jpg

oop%20016_zpsarvf3eot.jpg

hhoo%20005_zps1pf2hrfp.jpg

oop%20006_zpsazapd9sc.jpg

oop%20007_zpsd725rkwc.jpg

So I think so far so good!

So now I have to scratch build the bomb racks....make a frame work for the rear bulk head and then fix the life raft assembly on the top!......and that's just half of the work to finish this section!

On wards and upwards!default_smile.png

Cheers

Fozzy