MY SCRATCH BUILT 1:20 SCALE B17G...phase 2

fozzy

Thanks a lot for your input chaps......

Way to go! Repetition of small parts can really try the scratch builder's patience for sure.  I find if I can mentally make room for this, and just do the work, it's not all that bad and I tend to be proudest of the things that drove me crazy (which is a dangerous loop).

Couldn't agree with you more Jim ;)

That looks great!

xsw%20003_zpsqbp0vsit.jpg

Is the green from a sponge?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Ha ha Mark!....looks like it doesn't it?...no its a piece of green odd plastic I found in my scrap box!....just the perfect thickness for what I needed!

Impressive scratching as ever Fozzy, really enjoying following this build - such ambition and superb execution has to be applauded (and encored!)

Lovely stuff,

Torben 

Cheers Torben...glad your following this build! :)

Oh, I wanted to reach out and thank you for the little tutorial on your SE 5a Prop. I used it for my Fury prop this past weekend and it came out great. Sadly they painted them by the 30's.... 

Hey Jim...my pleasure.....its good to share information here....I often get ideas from other modellers!.....I have to say that you beat me to the Fury!...it was going to be my break between this bomb bay section and the Radio Room!...actually started it a few months ago and wasn't that happy with the way things went!.....so I shall be watching you construct your 1:24th instead!

Cheers!

Sorry to have inadvertently butted in on things Fury. You have great taste! There's so many options. How about a Fairy Fantome? 30's art deco goes flying!  

Your right Jim....too many options and not enough time!

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon one and all!

Phew!...inner bomb racks done and dusted!default_smile.png

A week and a bit of cutting of bits of plastic....gluing pieces of wire..... lots of swearing!.....but as usual enjoyed the process!

Same as outer racks except longer......here they are..........

pooyt%20004_zps7yej1px3.jpg

The difference between these racks is that I noticed that there were electrical cables running down the back of the rack...so took a bit longer to scratch than the first two!

I then spent a couple of days installing them into the bomb bay....not as easy as I thought as there wasn't much room left in there!..what with all the detail longing to break on my fat fingers!!default_huh.png I also had to make the cat walk ropes so that the crew could hold onto something whilst taking the walk of death across the bomb bay ....especially if the bomb bay doors were open default_ohmy.png

So here they are all done..............

awe%20008_zpsnlep8kej.jpg

awe%20010_zpsxz0ulas1.jpg

awe%20011_zpscyoxskgu.jpg

awe%20014_zpsjpx0dar5.jpg

awe%20018_zpsxu6km5mw.jpg

awe%20019_zpsofpe0gtc.jpg

Here I have placed the forward section of this project against the bomb bay.,..you can just about see the cockpit through the bomb bay door.......just for fun!

awe%20021_zpsutdimdje.jpg

....and here is the nose section up against the bomb bay....

awe%20022_zps0cb1xiun.jpg

So I have completed the detail inside the bomb bay ....next job is to start on the out side....which I will do when I return from a little break for a month!

Thanks for looking in guys...really appreciate it

Fozzy

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Well I have returned from my travels and back at the work bench after a good few weeks off!.....its good to be back working on this this B17G ...well I thought it was until I sat down and tried to get my head round the wing root!default_ohmy.png

mhe%20002_zpse812vddx.jpg

I know what I got to do but drawing a blank at how to tackle it!...its got to be a balsa construction I think......

mhe%20001_zpsc3m9hlzw.jpg

Its not going to be easy as the wing root is attached to the fuselage of both bomb bay and front section and part of the Radio room....which of course will be in 3 different sections! think.gif

So this build is going on a go slow until I figure something out!

Good to be back BTW...default_wink.png

Fozzy