Zoukei-mura Dornier Do335 A-0 Pfeil

Iain

Like others, I think this bird is a beauty!  But as you said, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so to each their own.  

Lovely work Iain - she's come out amazing!!!

I have to say I am not a fan of ZM's frosted clear plastic, and I wish the HO229 had not been done in that way, or at least offered in both the frosted clear and normal plastics.  But alas...

Great model, Iain! I agree that the clear plastic adds a certain level of difficulty, but your beautiful model shows that it is not a "fatal flaw". ;-) 

But I disagree with you, the Do 335 is not "ugly", just "something completely different". I read Eric Brown's "Wings of the Luftwaffe" back in the early-nineties and I made it a point to build all of the planes in that book - back then I was building in 1/72. I built a few Dorniers by Frog/Matchbox/Revell and Dragon kits and I always loved that shape. 

Radu 

The Do-335 is an unorthodox aircraft - a very unique subject. Some say it's an ugly aircraft; some say it's beautiful. I vote for the latter as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as Mark previously stated!!

I really am looking forward to the twoseater - now, there's a unique bird!!

Great job Iain!!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

OK - I'll agree on 'purposeful', 'interesting' or 'aggressive' - beauty is still too much for me to handle on this one!  ;)

Radu - the moulding of the main parts in clear is far from being a fatal flaw - and some will absolutely love it for the opportunities to display the inner 'workings' of the aeroplane - just a little challenging for my eyes at times!  :)

I too remember building the old Frog kit as a youngster and being impressed by the design - and it's certainly got character!

And to have the aeroplane available in 1:32 (from not one, but two manufacturers) is just amazing!

Iain

A very nice model of a unique aircraft Iain (he said diplomatically avoiding the beauty/ugly debate).

Seeing as some fans of the type are attracted here, was the ejection system ever used?

So many things in all directions to hit an escapee pilot.

Don't know if the seat was ever used in anger - but the dorsal fin and rear prop where detached as part of the escape sequence (explosive bolts) to prevent the pilot going through the shredder!

Iain

Don't know if the seat was ever used in anger - but the dorsal fin and rear prop where detached as part of the escape sequence (explosive bolts) to prevent the pilot going through the shredder!

Iain

In as far as understand the escape sequence, the tail fin and props were jettisoned first, followed by the canopy and only then the seat was fired. I wonder what such dramatic expulsion of parts and change in aerodynamics and forces would do the balance/trajectory/attitude of the remaining airframe and how easy it would be for the seat to clear such an unstable mess. 

Radu