1/32 FLY Hurricane: spinning wild

quang

Hi y'all,

Like Sonny and Cher used to say: The Beat Build Goes On!

Today we'll be adding rivets to the radiator and Volkes filter using the Archer rivets decals that a good friend gave me to try out.

For the newbies (like your humble servant), here's what they look like:

57354981-C207-473A-B7EE-F7536192F891.jpg

The equally-spaced tiny resin (!) rivets are attached to a clear decal film carrier. The method consists of cutting single rows of rivets and applying them to the area to be riveted just like you'd do with a normal waterslide transfer/decal. Decal softeners (Micro-Sol and Set) are used like with regular decals.

A little practice (and a lot of water) is needed to take the wrinkles out and keep the decal strips aligned.

383FD2F2-DCBD-44D3-92FF-ACFAFDBCE0BC.jpg

For double rows, work on one row at a time

6D13985F-A2A0-42A7-9254-4B4E11D9CC55.jpg

It's time consuming but not at all difficult to achieve. 

C76BC0DC-1F1A-4E92-99DD-38A05F1F14D9.jpg

A9469129-13CB-471A-B7C7-CC02B69D2B33.jpg

When the riveting's completed, a final coat of Future/Kleer (or whatever) will seal off the decals before the moment of truth: a coat of surface primer to reveal the final effect.

EB19D03C-DB62-43A3-89A3-A2AF3849EDED.jpg

F24D3AF7-4970-43FD-A2BD-EA887809F90A.jpg

91BDCDCD-8D0D-4248-A179-A41E9B50E3A3.jpg

The result is very realistic and well up to my expectation: the rivets remain very sharp under a coat of primer and quite undistinguishable from the other riveted areas of the kit.

This first experience is proving to be quite satisfactory. Archer's rivets will be a valuable tool in my next projects.

That's all folks. 

Keep well until next time

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

Have often wondered what these would look like and they certainly seem to have added to your build! :thumbsup:

Will have to also add some to my inventory, are they 'one size fits all' or are there  various scales available?

Also, UK source?

Have often wondered what these would look like and they certainly seem to have added to your build! :thumbsup:

Will have to also add some to my inventory, are they 'one size fits all' or are there  various scales available?

Also, UK source?

There are many (too many) different sizes. The ones I used are 0.20mm/.008" diameter.

http://www.archertransfers.com/CAT_Aircraft.html

There are also the 'positive rivets' made by HGW . Different method of applying the rivets but MUCH more affordable. They also have sets for a full a/c (you can apply all the rivets on a wing in one go  :o ).

http://hgwmodels.cz/en/5-positive-rivets?p=3

No UK source I know of. But I admit I haven't looked very hard  :innocent:

HTH

Q

Indeed Martin.

The added rivets help blend the modified areas into the surrounding. They also give a 'finished look' overall. Definitively a must-have tool in my future builds.

Thanks for the kind words

Q

I have an idea that Archer decals are/were available from Historex Agents but I always buy direct from Archer. International shipping is a bit grim but from time to time he has a 25% off sale so I tend to accumulate an order until then. I've never seen the resin details on sale in UK.

Incidentally, Archer does make sheets of double row rivets (intended for model railroaders) so those might be easier than making them from two single rows.

Quang, on the photo of the radiator cover post-primer, is there a bit of a rough surface on the starboard side? Great work so far by the way; all this will be useful when I tackle mine.

Quang, on the photo of the radiator cover post-primer, is there a bit of a rough surface on the starboard side? Great work so far by the way; all this will be useful when I tackle mine.

Indeed, Eagle Eye Bob!

My airbrush glitched  :BANGHEAD2:  Probably a water trap malfunction. Curiously it only happened on the radiator, not the filter. Anyhow it's too risky to smooth it out while the rivets are on. I'll leave it as is.

On the other hand I don't like my builds to be clinical clean so I don't mind a little mishap now and then.

Remember, life is but an accident.  :rolleyes:

Keep well,

Q

Nice work Quang, I normally only use Micro Sol when using Archer resin rivet detail as it make's them so much easier to deal with and don't melt at the slightest touch while adjusting which is particularly useful when laying a 100mm or more length in one go. I do clean and lightly key the area prior to applying as well and for me I get really good results over large area's.

I have an idea that Archer decals are/were available from Historex Agents but I always buy direct from Archer. International shipping is a bit grim but from time to time he has a 25% off sale so I tend to accumulate an order until then. I've never seen the resin details on sale in UK.

Incidentally, Archer does make sheets of double row rivets (intended for model railroaders) so those might be easier than making them from two single rows.

Also there dzues fastener set is quite good........although a little heavy they do look pretty good under paint and the set has various size/ shapes included

20160423_164558_zpsmqjp5ryq.jpg

Looking forward to seeing some colour on your Hurri now Quang.

Regards. Andy

Those rivets turned out nice, Quang! Are you going to rivet the fuselage then?

No Ray I'm not. I just sharpened the existing dzus and scribed on the missing ones. The fuselage on the Hurri is rather smooth compared to the wings.

Looking forward to seeing some colour on your Hurri now Quang.

I reckon we are getting closer to the finish line but there are still a few things to do before applying the camouflage.

Like this little item I just finished today  :) . More of it later.

910186C1-7C35-4E43-8B1F-4B10E1B907DB.jpg

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

That looks pretty darn fine! I assume that is the Fly accessory vac canopy? Is the frame PE?

No Ray, it's NOT the Fly vac canopy. It's home-made, old school method. The frame is plasticard. It's the subject of the next installment.

In the mean time, good night and keep well,

Quang

Edited by quang

A while ago, I wrote to Fly Models to order their set of Type2 cannons.

Jiri Valek at Fly saw this build thread on LSP and obligingly sent me the cannons for free  :m0152:. How's that for a service?

So here they are. Left: stock cannons – Right: Type2 cannons.

3AE4D3BF-F6F5-43BF-AE90-F3973CA865A6.jpg

They compare very favourably with the one on this photo of the a/c I'm planning to model after:

– AX°Z, 1 SQN SAAF, Egypt, Nov 1941. Pilot: 'Bomb' Finney seen here with his armourer. (Picture courtesy Tinus le Roux)

SAAM%20-%20Bomb%20Finney%20and%20his%20a

Cheers,

Quang

Fantastic build Quang! I too like using Archer's rivet decals and they're definitely worth having in the ol' tool box. With regards to the rough spots spattered out of the airbrush, couldn't you pick it off or clean it up with the tip of a #11 blade? If you loose a rivet you could always replace it individually.

Cheers,

Wolf