1/32 FLY Hurricane: spinning wild

quang

You're right, Ray!  It's organza (veil variety) NOT organdy (cloth variety).

Old school methods indeed. 'Twas before any of those aftermarket stuff existed, when we modelling rovers plundered dime stores and haberdasheries in search of the perfect weave.  :rolleyes:

Q, feeling decrepit

I know how that feels.

My sheet of Rolls-Royce superfine carburetor filter mesh just keeps getting smaller and smaller and smaller.

And it wasn't that big to start with.

Y'know, there are - hard to believe, but it's true - some people who detest that kind of nit-picking, fault-finding.

Bur I'm not one of them, and really appreciate the benefit of your eagle eye.

Thanx Chek but I wouldn't claim an eagle eye, I was looking closely at the area

to figure the best way to locate a vokes filter and comparing it to the PCM MkI

kit I'm working on ... 'hey!! there's something missing here !!'. :huh:

I think I'll try adapting the old Revell part as it's closer to what is needed than

the Fly part. :shrug:

p.s. For all you fastener lovers out there, there are also 4 fasteners missing from

the centerline of the top of the engine cowling panels starting right in front of the

windshield.

hurrishot.jpg

windshieldframeangle.jpg

I guess that makes me a fastener counter :rolleyes:

Edited by MikeMaben

I think a lot more fasteners are missing. Ref's show rivets over several of those panels that are not on the kit fuselage.

Also, many pics show a sugar scoop type intake/vent on the leading edge of the port wing root that isn't in the kit. 

And I noticed you blanked off the two outer ID lights behind the radiator. What did you base that on? I have been looking for info on that, but most ref's show all three in place. I did find some pics of a Yugoslavian a/c that blanked them, but those were used post-war so I am wary. 

BTW: Aviation Classics #15, "The Hawker Hurricane" has a great pic on page 88 of the starter crank, stowed, without the lower skin on so you can see the rear wall detail as plain as day.

And I noticed you blanked off the two outer ID lights behind the radiator. What did you base that on? I have been looking for info on that, but most ref's show all three in place. I did find some pics of a Yugoslavian a/c that blanked them, but those were used post-war so I am wary. 

I've never seen the 3 lights on wartime pics, only on modern restored a/c or warbirds. Modern international regulations?

Here are two pics (both Mk.1) with one light.

Unknown.jpeg

4a6eb0270a614ee798ad8b9a7872b0fa.jpg

BTW: Aviation Classics #15, "The Hawker Hurricane" has a great pic on page 88 of the starter crank, stowed, without the lower skin on so you can see the rear wall detail as plain as day.

Damn! I have the book but I missed the pic. Thanks, Ray for the heads-up.

That is ab excellent lesson in radiator making! I learned something about Hurricanes that I did not know before.

I'm glad it helped.  :)

Cheers,

Quang

Ref the ID lights - I had an inconclusive discussion with Matt over on his build thread.

The basis of my contention is that Hurricane II 'Last of the Many', PZ865 now with the BBMF was built in 1944 and famously has never been rebuilt, but has the triple light array. My conjecture is that as USAAF aircraft like the P-47 and P-51 (and most likely others too) had underwing triple colour lights and became more numerous in British skies, that system was to be adopted as standard in the UK later in the war, but for some reason was not universally applied; here's Edgar Brooks' take regarding Spitfires:

"Just to "help" things along, it appears that the answer is "Yes" & "No." It involves the VII & VIII, both of which were planned to be high-altitude fighters. Both are illustrated as having red and green (blue glass + yellow bulb = green,) so it seems that they were designed to carry the extra identification lamps, but, for some (unknown) reason, they were deleted on May 1st., 1943. There were plans to add the lights to the V, IX & XII, but that was cancelled; the VII was slated to have the lights back, from 15-11-44, and the VIII & XIV from 7-12-44, but there's no absolute certainty that it did happen. If the VIII's lights were deleted from May, 1943, it seems likely that your airframe didn't have them.

Edgar"

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234921844-spitfire-viii-wing-downward-id-lights-yes-or-no/&do=findComment&comment=1071040 

As the early Spitfires Mks I, II and V all definitely had the single downward ID lamp, Quangs choice on his Hurri would not be at all unusual and likely standard for the period. 

Edited by Chek

Those ID lights...I can see why it is confusing. I went back through the Hurricane II manual, and found in the weight listings, dated as revised in 1943, this line item:

"408 (i) Downward ident. lamp, three colour, introduced. +0.25 lb."

However, I can not find any period photos showing all three lamps - part of the problem being there are not many clear photos of II's undersides. Also, in other parts of the manual, it seems to reference only one light. The wiring diagram might show three.

At any rate, it may be a case of provisions being made for the three lamp system, but it may have not been adopted or only partially adopted.

I think you could make a case for either, just like for the Spits. I need to go through some more references, but that is what I have found so far.

I should add there was definitely only one on early Hurri's.

You cut up your wife's wedding dress??!!

Blood and thunder........

Tim

Nooooo!!! She sewed it up herself, so there were scraps of unused fabric. It would be funny, though, if she pulled her dress out one day and found these squares cut out of it! Funny, that is, if I was already dead...