1/32 FLY Hurricane: spinning wild

quang

More on the ID light area: Q, I think you did it correctly. The only a/c I could find the three lights on were Canadian XII's.

I did find a diagram showing the fitting of a parachute flare launching tube. It was supposed to fire out where that port light was supposed to be! Unfortunately, there are no pics of what it looked like from below, and they reference a 'door' so it might have looked just as how you have shown it.

I also found added stowage in the fuselage for tropical aircraft, including flare pistol and flares, water, and emergency provisions. Looks like it was fitted to the frame behind the cockpit, though.

Are you going to add the little scoop at the leading edge of the wing root?

Nose is looking really good, btw! 

Ray,

The tropical gear was stowed next to the radio compartment and was not visible unless you open up the panel.

I'm busy smoothing up the modded areas and restoring the panel lines. More pics when it's done. 

Then I'll add the scoop on the wing root and re-work the two tubes (?) under the exhausts as well. Anybody has an idea what they were?

Nose%20desert%20arrow.jpg

BTW, the kit spinner doesn't look exactly like the one on the pics. But I'll leave it at that … for the time being.  B)

Cheers,

Q

The props dimension out to be 11'-3" which would be Rotol props, but the shape might be off a bit. Hard to tell trying to match it to photos. It doesn't seem too far off, although I am wary about the tips especially. Props are tough. Every photo is at a slightly different angle and makes it hard to get a definitive shape. I wish I had a real one near me. There were two different Rotol props that could be used, but the other one was 10'-9" in diameter. 

Modellers Datafile says those two tubes under the exhaust are outlets for the "engine generator." I am thinking maybe the front one is an inlet, the rear one is exhaust.

I can't remember where I read it, but the little scoop on the leading edge is a vent or cooling for the fuel system.

The Spitfire was refined enough to plonk a fairing open at both ends over those pipes, but it's in the same position for the generator cooling air intake and exhaust pipes.

All photos from Flickr.

More cowling detail  for BBMF's Mk IIc LF 363 (a David Newby photo)

click to enlarge.

21953035382_8f4c7aa817_k.jpg

and the BBMF's PZ865 (an Ian Boys photo)

21669083581_a25b295061_h.jpg

and the BBMF's PZ865 again (a Mark Rutley photo)

20710859901_c911771129_o.jpg

Edited by Chek

Thanks, Q. I thought you'd appreciate them. Along with Hurricane detail lovers everywhere.

I just keep seeing more sheets of positive rivets required the more I look. And in two sizes minimum.

But it's a lovely model 'plane and deserves the extra adornment.

I'll also throw in this; it's Sea Hurricane Ib Z7015, but the lighting angle throws a lot of front end detail into relief. (xtra large image)

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7546/27982074460_e4c66146bd_o.jpg

Edited by Chek

Thanks, Q. I thought you'd appreciate them. Along with Hurricane detail lovers everywhere.

I just keep seeing more sheets of positive rivets required the more I look. And in two sizes minimum.

But it's a lovely model 'plane and deserves the extra adornment.

I'll also throw in this; it's Sea Hurricane Ib Z7015, but the lighting angle throws a lot of cowling detail into relief.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7546/27982074460_e4c66146bd_o.jpg

I agree with you, Chek! Fly really nailed the wings, but they left a lot off the fuselage. Bunch of extra holes and drains, too.

Great pics!

Back to the build.

Another oft-overlooked characteristic of the Hurricane: on the cockpit area, the vertical metal panels curve slightly where they meet the wing. It's subtle. Most people won't notice it but the flare is there  coolio.gif .

Overlap%20panel.jpg

Let's try to reproduce it.

Masking tape laid out where the panel is supposed to end.

02FCB6A4-D589-4E23-95D5-AA0C801F84B1.jpg

Milliput (what else?) is applied with a toothpick in a rolling motion

5E7C8177-106B-49CE-830A-77F347305D59.jpg

Smoothed out with a clay shaper tool

EE6090EF-9C65-48D1-98AA-1A9578CECB26.jpg

Excess removed with a spatula

B13D2F3B-4041-4C52-9A5F-9665F9C68550.jpg

Leave overnight to harden and smooth with wet-or-dry #800. Remove tape. ET voilà!

64D395A2-2B33-40A5-B72F-FDD324984494.jpg

The fuselage was the primed. Panel lines restored and details (fasteners,…) engraved.

B711E17B-B415-48FB-B3DE-2BE3FD9FFB1E.jpg

More pix

BA4C35A4-162D-46EA-A829-2365A632900C.jpg

EC7C64A6-31EE-42F5-9CD8-A2A157172A69.jpg

FB5D096E-2340-4037-B313-D2CE71AF473A.jpg

That's it folks! Next episode: Wings.

Thank you for looking. All your comments and questions are welcome. As usual.

Cheers,

Quang