1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

evening folks :)

So those metal extrusions on the cockpit sidewalls are also litho plate?

I assume you bend them around a form of some kind but how do you trim the ends without deforming the soft, thin plate?

Yes - the litho is bent into a length of  'U' shape section and then the carefully shaped over an aerosol can or something of similar diameter - need to be really slow and careful or it juts kinks and becomes throwaway..  it is cut with a disc in a dremel - if you go at it carefully from the right angle & in relation to the direction the disc is spinning you can make clean cuts in the most fragile of structures..

so - a bit more Spitfire mayhem..

the rudder pedals are fixed to big torque tubes that go through a frame (9 I think) which is an open braced structure like this...

WIP1194_zpsipcqxbko.jpg

I started with a brass square section and again some of the PE bits I designed before I started..

WIP1193_zpsrkxzxaui.jpg

..there is also a control arm that joins both the tubes / pedal sets together under the instrument panel..

WIP1195_zps2rk7r0po.jpg

WIP1196_zpsf0jgvgg1.jpg

..the heelboards are another structure that starts to link this assembly together, so more square tube assembled on a sheet of tape on perspex..

WIP1197_zpsavvcfo4q.jpg

..with the heelboards and some of the detail added..

WIP1198_zpsu8e2omb9.jpg

..and the whole assembly starts to form - its all a bit wonky as its only resting together..

WIP1200_zpsdqxounrw.jpg

WIP1199_zpsbgueerdi.jpg

..theory is this will all then be mounted to the open bottom of the cockpit 'pod'..

we shall see...

TTFN

Peter

thank you my friends :)

a little bit more...

I assembled the heelboards to the bulkhead frame..

WIP1201_zpshknthte2.jpg

..and made up a sort of trunnion thing from watch parts for the base of the control column - I can't find many shots of this area so it is imagineered..

WIP1202_zps8lxzeknf.jpg

..removed the pipework from the column so I could work on making a fitting for it and paint it..

WIP1203_zps6nvs0y8j.jpg

,,made a little box widget thing that sits between the rudder pedals on the heelboard structure..

WIP1204_zps3ox2ygyr.jpg

..and checked it all slotted together still..

WIP1206_zpsawqk6i3p.jpg

WIP1205_zpsntnk7mxr.jpg

..going to check I can fit it from the bottom into the 'pod' and paint it next...

TTFN
Peter